Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That's really weird, since they have been able to trace so many cases. Of course someone that contaminated a nursing home were 24 people died would be in hiding about now.

I mean, the person may not even know. Virus can live on surfaces for a few days. Coworker comes back from a trip through the PDX airport, sneezes in their hand and goes into the restroom or touches the door. Next coworker comes through and grabs that handle, goes to visit grandma that evening.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Just take a few extra weeks off, and lower the # of days needed by the state. This is serious.

Yeah, not that I want my kids around the house any more than they have to be, but the logic for keeping schools on is pretty baffling right now. They're staying open because there's no community transmission, but we can't possibly know whether there's community transmission because we can't test people at anywhere near the quantity needed.

Not a huge issue for suburban school as many (all?) are on spring break next week, but how many others in Iowa who rely on IDPH guidance are not? And what about all the other organizations relying on IDPH guidance who will still hold gatherings?

There's a chance this recommendation goes very badly. Hell, there's a chance it's already too late to limit the spread.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Just take a few extra weeks off, and lower the # of days needed by the state. This is serious.
I’m not sure how I feel about the decision to keep schools open yet, trying to keep an open mind.....but it’s baffling to me when I think about how freaking quickly we close the school if a dusting of snow is predicted or cold temps. That’s for the safety of the children, but a WHO declared global pandemic????

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Serious question, how long is the incubation period for this strain? How long is a person contagious who has it? This could be like a roller coaster, it calms down and people go back, someone isn't feeling well goes to the Dr. tests positive and we have have this starting over again.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Serious question, how long is the incubation period for this strain? How long is a person contagious who has it? This could be like a roller coaster, it calms down and people go back, someone isn't feeling well goes to the Dr. tests positive and we have have this starting over again.

Not sure if they know quite yet.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Incubation can be anywhere from 4-14 day with this so far.
The contagious part is tricky because someone who shows no symptoms is still contagious.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa seems to be one of the states not taking this serious yet. 16 states have completely closed schools, Apple is shutting stores world wide, and Iowa is business as usual.

Apple may be shutting stores, but they have resumed oversees production. so I would not praise them too hard.

And with a son home from ISU for the next several weeks and many people WFH directives, it is not business as usual in Iowa.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The State government is what isn’t taking it seriously. They aren’t even giving daily press conferences and haven’t limited any gatherings. We’re one of a single digit number of states without that directive and without daily updates.

I do believe businesses are leading in preparedness and my company is on the front edge of it as well. But the State is woefully lacking in communication.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Incubation can be anywhere from 4-14 day with this so far.
The contagious part is tricky because someone who shows no symptoms is still contagious.

I believe I’ve heard over the past week that it more like 2-6 days now

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
The State government is what isn’t taking it seriously. They aren’t even giving daily press conferences and haven’t limited any gatherings. We’re one of a single digit number of states without that directive and without daily updates.

I do believe businesses are leading in preparedness and my company is on the front edge of it as well. But the State is woefully lacking in communication.

With no signs of community spread what do you want them to say every day?

"No new cases today. We're still working around the clock on action plans in the event of community spread. Thanks all for coming again today."

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Nebraska isn't much better, but at least the school districts aren't trying to sell some pipe dream of business as usual in a week. Our district has already stated that they are planning on doing on-line as much as possible and setting up daily "pick up" locations for students/parents to pick up materials. To not have a plan is simply negligence by administrations.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Your school has yet to communicate with you??? I would jump your super about that. I received a form letter my our school that was nearly identical to a friends letter from their school. There is stuff going on, even if the governor isn't holding a press conference talking about it. From what I've seen, they have focused their efforts where they should. They are working with the schools and elderly care (which are the most at risk) and not just running around holding press conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's possible if a state that had relatively sparse population that is spread out and is really proactive and strict on lockdown that could happen. But considering long incubation period, ease of transmission, ability to transmit without symptoms and the fact that most of the US has been pretty lax about this, I don't see it happening. I'd guess you might see a few regional secondary bumps, but nothing close to the first peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.