Neck nerve issue -

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I also have numbness/tingly in the left side of my body. I have terrible posture at my desk and am trying to fix that.

My first step is to raise my monitors. Need to experiment with that a little more.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
As I near 56 (and retirement this year - NONhumble brag) I'm having an unwelcome pattern of neck pain which radiates into shoulder, down biceps and into my fingers causing numbness and tingling. LOTS of pain with shoulder and bad tightness of neck. Looking back at earlier health issues (carpal tunnel, biceps tendonitis, shoulder issues) and based on an MRI the cause is sadly clear. I have moderate to sever stenosis from C1-C7 with some other crap in there as well all on the left side. My last flare this summer took nearly 3 months to clear and on Sunday I had the start of another, so far worse, flare.

Started a course of prednisone to get me over the hump until I go in Monday for cervical steroid injections. Will be a first for me.

Has anyone had something similar - including epidural injections for pain relief? Did you get relief?

Has anyone had to have surgery? And did it provide relief?

How have others managed the pain and flare-ups?

One of primary reasons for an early retirement is to enjoy and active retirement (hike, bike, ski, travel) before infirmity sets in and its getting me down thinking I might have to enter the cycle of pain and mobility management.

On the plus side, my wife won't let me have a motorcycle so "hoping" I can get a very sporty Rascal to feed that jones with that sweet, sweet parking pass. :)

I would start with physical therapy. I have done the steroid injection for neck pain, which helped temporarily, but long term I've been able to manage with a fairly simple stretching regimen.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I would start with physical therapy. I have done the steroid injection for neck pain, which helped temporarily, but long term I've been able to manage with a fairly simple stretching regimen.

I like that approach. Hoping the injections take the edge off enough so I can get going.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My left arm was asleep from shoulder to fingers in various stages for years. Received steroid injections once a year for 4-5 years. Worked and then symptoms would come back....get another shot. My last shot three years ago did nothing to alleviate pain/symptoms. Finally diagnosed with DDD and had C4/C5/C6 fused. Went through the front of my neck. Check the procedure out on YouTube.

I waited way too long and lost almost 50% muscle tissue. If you have the symptoms described above, I bet 90% you have DDD.

Had my injection today and the pain relief is substantial thus far. But when doc reviewed MRI he wasn't optimistic. He said on his first pass review fusion but other items showed up where he said it's just a mess. Where you should see the foramen it didn't reflect. Shape of my cervical verts more like a derailed train. Large sections of spinal cord not showing "white" meaning spinal cord itself is being pinched. He's sending me to his spine surgeon saying there is no conservative approach (PT and such) that will spare the nerves.

I'm somewhat relieved my pattern of pain was obvious to professionals but my whole goal of early retirement was to play. Thanks for your response above - gonna do some neck learning'...

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Had my injection today and the pain relief is substantial thus far. But when doc reviewed MRI he wasn't optimistic. He said on his first pass review fusion but other items showed up where he said it's just a mess. Where you should see the foramen it didn't reflect. Shape of my cervical verts more like a derailed train. Large sections of spinal cord not showing "white" meaning spinal cord itself is being pinched. He's sending me to his spine surgeon saying there is no conservative approach (PT and such) that will spare the nerves.

I'm somewhat relieved my pattern of pain was obvious to professionals but my whole goal of early retirement was to play. Thanks for your response above - gonna do some neck learning'...
Good luck to you. My father and brother have both had success with surgery.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Update - getting a 2 level fusion (4-5, 5-6) ACDF procedure as an out patient at the ortho's surgical center pending the end of the world. Steroid shots not help, gabapentin not work, PT not work... Only thing that worked was sitting in a partially reclined chair which is not conducive to anything other than an early death!

Crazy friggin' year for so many reasons....

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Update - getting a 2 level fusion (4-5, 5-6) ACDF procedure as an out patient at the ortho's surgical center pending the end of the world. Steroid shots not help, gabapentin not work, PT not work... Only thing that worked was sitting in a partially reclined chair which is not conducive to anything other than an early death!

Crazy friggin' year for so many reasons....
Not to rain on your parade. But have you considered trying chiropractic?

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Surgery is my last option. I have been fairly successful after staying away from injections for the temporary relief. I have been aquatic therapy in a heated pool, and acupuncture. Very comfortable to date.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not to rain on your parade. But have you considered trying chiropractic?

20 year history of chiro adjustments... What used to fix me for months now I'd go in for numerous adjustments and still be hurt for weeks. Doc said I could try daily traction but my nerve study showed on-going nerve damage.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
20 year history of chiro adjustments... What used to fix me for months now I'd go in for numerous adjustments and still be hurt for weeks. Doc said I could try daily traction but my nerve study showed on-going nerve damage.
I’m sorry to hear to hear that. I was going to suggest trying a chiropractic Biophysics chiro and trying protocol 1 curve correction or a Pettibon chiropractor equivalent for curve correction.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’m sorry to hear to hear that. I was going to suggest trying a chiropractic Biophysics chiro and trying protocol 1 curve correction or a Pettibon chiropractor equivalent for curve correction.

I'm still a huge fan of chiro care but for some reason I can grow bone like nobody else.

Reactions: cyfan21

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Was diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy at 52. Years and years of bad posture and sitting the wrong way at a computer finally resulted in shooting pain down my arms, through the shoulder and into my fingers. Was ready to do anything to be rid of the pain and the spasms, including fusion surgery if necessary. Ultimately started on 10 weeks of PT. Supplemented that with a home traction unit that really helped. Took about six months but things improved. Since then have been fanatical about exercising the small muscle groups in the neck, chest and upper back area to rebuild support around the spine. One of the main tools has been use of a Pilates reformer machine. I probably still have some mechanical problems in the cervical spine and shoulder, but it's possible to do a lot with excercise and stretching. Might not ultimately work for everyone, but definitely worth a try if you are suffering. Some folks have no alternative to surgery but it's worth trying a few things before you go that route.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/pain-management-cervical-radiculopathy

https://www.pilates.com/store/pilates-equipment/reformers/allegro-pilates-reformer/

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/dri...MIm5Oj8vWa6AIV-h-tBh0WbgCOEAQYBSABEgL1T_D_BwE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron