What teams are getting robbed the worst?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... Not sure if Garza would leave for the NBA or not, but had he had a good couple of games in the tournament to cap his stellar year, his stock would never be as high..... Hope he gets good feedback from the scouts and realizes he will never have a better chance to get to the NBA....

If Lurch comes back because he likes college life, good for him. If he returns thinking he'll increase his draft status he's kidding himself.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If Lurch comes back because he likes college life, good for him. If he returns thinking he'll increase his draft status he's kidding himself.
He doesn’t even have a draft status to increase at this point.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

It wont matter if he leaves this year or next because the NBA has evolved and post players like him are a thing of the past. If he is not a 1st rounder this year it won't matter what he will do next year as he still won't be a 1st rounder a year older.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It wont matter if he leaves this year or next because the NBA has evolved and post players like him are a thing of the past. If he is not a 1st rounder this year it won't matter what he will do next year as he still won't be a 1st rounder a year older.

I stopped trying to figure out the NBA draft a long time ago, they are drafting on what you may become 3/5 years down the line, not what type of player you are now.

Do I think Garza can play in the league, no clue, but I do know the guy had one hell of a season, and has been the straw that stirs the drink at Iowa all year long. Take him off their team next year, and no post presents at all. If he comes back, they are a top 10 team to start the year. I hope for ISU's sake, he moves on, do not want to hear from Iowa fans about how great they are and how they are going to the final 4.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
As others have written, teams like San Diego State and Dayton had historic seasons, the kind that don't come around very often for teams at that level.

In addition, I also feel bad for the low to mid major teams that had already won their conference tournaments to get the automatic bids, teams like East Tennessee State, Liberty, Boston University last night, even Bradley.

Man...just thought of this now...how much would it have sucked for this to have happened back in 2000 with the Marcus Fizer/Jamaal Tinsley team?

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That will be the narrative we hear for the next lifetime. :rolleyes:
Ryan Kriener is already tweeting about Iowa claiming rights to the National Championship. This is hok logic to a T and you're right. This will go down in EIU record books as the season of what could have been, with "the best player in college basketball" and "a potential 1st round draft pick" and "the gritty, glue guy who also is good at sportsmanship". Good thing they'll all be back next year, I guess.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As others have written, teams like San Diego State and Dayton had historic seasons, the kind that don't come around very often for teams at that level.

In addition, I also feel bad for the low to mid major teams that had already won their conference tournaments to get the automatic bids, teams like East Tennessee State, Liberty, Boston University last night, even Bradley.

Man...just thought of this now...how much would it have sucked for this to have happened back in 2000 with the Marcus Fizer/Jamaal Tinsley team?
Yeah SDSU and Dayton will have an awfully hard time replicating this kind of success again, possibly ever. Seasons like the ones they have had don't even happen to non-blue blood P6 teams very often, let alone mid majors like them. That's where I feel bad about this. Baylor had a good season too, and while they will be good again in the future, I'm not sure they'll ever quite have all the breaks go their way in a season where there isn't a legit, sure fire top dog in cbb. I don't feel bad for Freddie Gillespie though.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He doesn’t even have a draft status to increase at this point.

I am starting to see a few that list him as 2nd round or FA.

Obviously he's not going to be drafted high, but if Brook Lopez can be an All-Star and average over 30 min/game for over a decade, or if Frank Kaminsky can play over 20 min per game, then Garza can probably find some role for a team.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Could be, but all I know is that Iowa State remains The Defending Big 12 Tournament Men's Basketball Champions until at least this time next year.

As well as Defending Big 8 Tournament Champions...

I admit I have to chuckle thinking about Iowa. Men's and women's basketball as well as wrestling all having great years, and now you get nothing.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think it more in terms of what players and coaches are getting robbed because there is no guarantee that a team would win a championship but some players and coaches have never played or coached in the tournament may never get to again.