Are you still planning on traveling for Spring break?

Are you still traveling for Spring break?

• Yes

Votes: 60 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 102 63.0%

• Total voters

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
With the coronavirus fears, are you still planning on traveling for Spring break? As of today I am, however strongly considering postponing my trip. Just curious what other are planning on doing.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just booked a cheap flight (round trip $120) to Miami yesterday, will be headed down there in a couple weeks. Waiting for more people to cancel hotels so I can maybe snag a cheap(er) room.

I won’t be drinking any Corona down there, so I should be fine.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Just booked a cheap flight (round trip $120) to Miami yesterday, will be headed down there in a couple weeks. Waiting for more people to cancel hotels so I can maybe snag a cheap(er) room.

I won’t be drinking any Corona down there, so I should be fine.
I got curious, and just searched some Summer flights. They do seem to be lower than normal; might not be a bad idea to jump on a deal.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Nope, cancelled a trip to Arizona two days ago. It wasn't solely due to the pandemic, but that was a contributing factor.

It doesn't guarantee anything. For all I know the virus will come to us in Des Moines if it hasn't already; feels more like a matter of when and not if at this point.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
We are leaving Friday for a week in Phoenix - no issues with traveling and we are not going anywhere where there will be large crowds while there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife and I just returned from a vacation to South America.

My oh my, this thing has escalated while we were gone. The first cases in Ecuador were showing up there just as we were leaving the country.

My wife is a doctor, so she expects to be on the front lines of this thing if it gets as bad as it could. I was planning a trip to New England for a wedding and a few trips to Chicago for work in the next few months, but those might be gone.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: WhoISthis and NWICY

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not a spring break, but just got back from a week in the Keys. Noticed a lot more people at the airport washing their hands in the bathroom and people wearing masks (even though they don't do much).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
My wife and I just returned from a vacation to South America.

My oh my, this thing has escalated while we were gone. The first cases in Ecuador were showing up there just as we were leaving the country.

My wife is a doctor, so she expects to be on the front lines of this thing if it gets as bad as it could. I was planning a trip to New England for a wedding and a few trips to Chicago for work in the next few months, but those might be gone.
Thank your wife for us all!

It probably is a reactionary response (all the disruptions of normalcy). I hope we’re that lucky.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm getting married Memorial Day Weekend... having an Iowa reception two weeks later.... honeymoon tentatively planned for a week after that (nothing booked yet, but have been planning to fly to Seattle and visit scenic NW locations)....

This is getting interesting.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I'm getting married Memorial Day Weekend... having an Iowa reception two weeks later.... honeymoon tentatively planned for a week after that (nothing booked yet, but have been planning to fly to Seattle and visit scenic NW locations)....

Congrats. If they lock you out of Seattle.....fly into Spokane or some other NW city to enjoy you honeymoon. Seattle is fast becoming the San Francisco of the northwest. My in-laws live in a suburb and proper is becoming a dump.......quickly. So don't let any of this hysteria ruin your special time.

• Friendly
Reactions: cstrunk

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Thank your wife for us all!

It probably is a reactionary response (all the disruptions of normalcy). I hope we’re that lucky.

Her hospital (and all of them) are preparing for the worst.

I read a story that Italy is already drafting every physician and nurse they can from whatever specialty (e.g., urologists, who have not done anything with ER or intensive care stuff since their residencies or even medical school) to help wherever.

They are already in an all hands on deck mode.

She anticipates it might be the same here.

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017

Tell me about it... Flying to Utah to get married in two weeks. Honeymoon planned for Ireland at end of April. Somehow the fiance isn't losing her mind yet

• Friendly
Reactions: cstrunk

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Her hospital (and all of them) are preparing for the worst.

I read a story that Italy is already drafting every physician and nurse they can from whatever specialty (e.g., urologists, who have not done anything with ER or intensive care stuff since their residencies or even medical school) to help wherever.

They are already in an all hands on deck mode.

She anticipates it might be the same here.
My wife is also a doctor and it’s gone from no big deal, to measures never before used in basically 48 hours, maybe less. I don’t feel great about what I know about just how little credence was given to this by many in our healthcare system

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
We are leaving Friday for a week in Phoenix - no issues with traveling and we are not going anywhere where there will be large crowds while there.

I returned from Phoenix about 8 days ago. Unless things have changed dramatically, you will find it hard to avoid crowds at Sky Harbor airport.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m hoping that the family can still fly to NY on Friday. So we are going if they don’t shut us down.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Individual risk is low especially if you're under 70 without any comorbidities (obese, lung issues, immunocompromised, etc). The bigger risk is the timing of people who do get sick - the "curve" they talk about. If too many get sick at same time the healthcare system gets overwhelmed a la italy. So trying to "flatten the curve" aka spread out the timing of when people get it (they will still get it) gives hospitals a chance to accommodate people without being inundated. That's the much larger reason to consider staying away from people, delaying trips, etc, not due to being scared.