Amazing find! Oldest ISU uniform in existence?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
A little bit ago, the ISU Archives tweeted a new acquisition--an amazingly PRISTINE 1910 ISU baseball uniform:

Simply stunning. I believe this is the oldest known ISU baseball uniform in existence which, of course, joins my own Jack Trice-era 1923 ISU football jersey and 1923/24 ISU basketball uniform scraps.

It would've been worn with red wool socks (recall the limitations of early film tech meant red/yellow didn't reproduce like current films--an issue I discussed in The yellow lipstick of Jack Trice). I looked through the 1912 Bomb to find a picture of the team/player (Long), who is second from right in front row:

Attachments

• 1910 baseball.jpg
    1910 baseball.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 125

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like the uniform, at least the shirt, had hardly been worn. Surprised the glove held up. Was it stored in some sort of protective case?

P.S. Does this mean you will be making a trip back to Ames soon to see it in person?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Seems like the uniform, at least the shirt, had hardly been worn. Surprised the glove held up. Was it stored in some sort of protective case?

P.S. Does this mean you will be making a trip back to Ames soon to see it in person?
The glove was probably soaked in oil many times over back in the day.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
A little bit ago, the ISU Archives tweeted a new acquisition--an amazingly PRISTINE 1910 ISU baseball uniform:

Simply stunning. I believe this is the oldest known ISU baseball uniform in existence which, of course, joins my own Jack Trice-era 1923 ISU football jersey and 1923/24 ISU basketball uniform scraps.

It would've been worn with red wool socks (recall the limitations of early film tech meant red/yellow didn't reproduce like current films--an issue I discussed in The yellow lipstick of Jack Trice). I looked through the 1912 Bomb to find a picture of the team/player (Long), who is second from right in front row:

Awesome - thanks for sharing.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Really cool find!

Comparing the pic of that uniform and the ones in the team photo, the "AMES" lettering seems larger on the uniforms in the team photo, doesn't it?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Ugh. An ancient and proud varsity baseball team gone. Makes me sad. We really can't bring it back? If I ever hit the Power Ball, I'm making Iowa State varsity baseball and hockey my personal missions.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
That uniform is killer! I would wear a replica of that shirt if someone made them out of the same materials. Looks great!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Really cool find!

Comparing the pic of that uniform and the ones in the team photo, the "AMES" lettering seems larger on the uniforms in the team photo, doesn't it?

Seems like there is some variation in size in the "AMES" lettering on the uniforms in the 1910 photo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron