This is why Prohm must go........

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
IMO if he goes something like 7-11 or 8-10 in conference play there wont even be a discussion on his seat being hot as long as he has a good class put together.

I think signing a good class next year is going to be difficult because of the current bad year.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu83

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
But here is the issue.. Prohm's first two years he did maintain the same level of basketball as Hoiberg. He made a Sweet 16, won a Big 12 Tournament, and won 3 NCAA tournament games. In Hoiberg's final two years, he made a Sweet 16, won 2 Big 12 Tournaments, and won 2 NCAA tournament games. If you didn't think there was going to be a dip in quality and success after arguably the best core of players left the program, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do you know why people wanted to come to Iowa State to play? Hoiberg. When he left, I'm sure lots of big time transfers and recruits were a little bit reluctant to come Iowa State because "The Mayor" was no longer there. I have no idea if anyone outside a big named guy would've been able to come in here and attract talent right away. That's why it took Prohm a little bit more time to be able to recruit high level guys. And with the rule changes and how the structure of the NBA / G-League has changed, those high level guys are now leaving early. If these same rules were in place when guys like Georges and Monte were here, I have no idea if either of them would've made it through there 4 years here.

Prohm has to adjust. Other coaches are having to adjust. College basketball is changing. Fans, boosters, and the AD have to show some sort of patience or else this program is going to turn into an endless cycle of coaches and the successful seasons will be outliers instead of consistent. Hoiberg was one of only a few coaches in all of college basketball that was able to come in and turn a program around in about two years. Look across the landscape of college basketball, specifically the successful ones, and you'll find far more coaches that had to fail before they succeeded than you'll find coaches that built a successful program in the matter of 5 years or less.

yeah, more borderline NBA guys are leaving each year. Same in college football. The number of undrafted early entries keeps going up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure how much weight I would put into where the class falls in what has been the deepest league for several years. I don't care which way you cut it, CSP put together one hell of a class and will have a ton to sell for the 2021 class.

What roles do you think the recruits fall into next year, and what strengths do they have that could flip the team from 20 losses?

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
The one area that ISU has struggled the most during Prohm’s tenure is defensive rebounding. I used to think this was a result of playing small yet we declined in this area even more while playing 2 bigs this year.

Any idea why his teams are so poor at defensive rebounding?

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
yeah, more borderline NBA guys are leaving each year. Same in college football. The number of undrafted early entries keeps going up.
I'd think we are getting close to a steady state pretty soon and this slows down. It's not like there is a growing number of G-league and NBA roster spots. It's easy to say, "That guy is probably not NBA material, but he'll just go to the G-league." No matter what, all of the guys entering the draft and FA have to take a roster spot from somebody currently in the NBA or G-league. After a few years of marginal guys heading to the G-league, the college talent is getting watered down enough where there just aren't as many guys good enough to take roster spots. Now if you start seeing a higher percentage of guys make the NBA after playing professionally overseas, that's where the further dilution is more likely in my opinion.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: JBone84 and isu83

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
People don't seem to get that without hoibergs players prohms best year is sole ownership of 5th place in conference and a first game exit from the NCAA tournament.

His last 3 years his average big 12 tournament seed is 8. Which is good for 2nd worst in conference ahead of okstate, who averages an 8.333 seed.

Now, let's include his good years into that average with the great teams hoiberg left him, which are some of the best teams we have ever had at ISU. A 4 seed, and a 6 seed.

His 5 year average seed is a 6.8, which is good enough for 3rd worst in conference, ahead of tcu(7.6) and okstate(7.8).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes. So because of this change, coaches are going to have to adjust their recruiting styles a little bit to take into account all of that.

Reactions: Halincandenza

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
IMO if he goes something like 7-11 or 8-10 in conference play there wont even be a discussion on his seat being hot as long as he has a good class put together.
Tough call at that point.
I hope he reaches the tournament or flames out next year

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People don't seem to get that without hoibergs players prohms best year is sole ownership of 5th place in conference and a first game exit from the NCAA tournament.

His last 3 years his average big 12 tournament seed is 8. Which is good for 2nd worst in conference ahead of okstate, who averages an 8.333 seed.

Now, let's include his good years into that average with the great teams hoiberg left him, which are some of the best teams we have ever had at ISU. A 4 seed, and a 6 seed.

His 5 year average seed is a 6.8, which is good enough for 3rd worst in conference, ahead of tcu(7.6) and okstate(7.8).
And ever since Fred has been here, here is the list of teams to ever win the Big 12 tournament..
Kansas
Iowa State
Missouri

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I have no idea if that's true or not, but if his seat "isn't even lukewarm yet" that's a big problem......

Agree. That would mean that JP hasn't realized that he needs to have a conversation with Steve post season about losing being unacceptable and determine the steps we need to take to get back.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah I'm not going to get mad at Prohm for not bringing in a recruiting class higher than other Big 12 schools when we're our class is still rated in the top-25.
It's a top 25 class because of quantity of players, not quality. Based on average player ranking it's more like 50th.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's a top 25 class because of quantity of players, not quality. Based on average player ranking it's more like 50th.

Last season's recruiting class had the same number of players as this season's recruiting class. Last season's ranking was outside the top 50. Quality must be a part of ranking somewhere.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Last season's recruiting class had the same number of players as this season's recruiting class. Last season's ranking was outside the top 50. Quality must be a part of ranking somewhere.
It plays a part. Miami and MSU are ranked below us and both have 2 players in the top 75 in their class. I'd rather have those classes. IMO.

Help Support Us

Become a patron