Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well, you got me to join a gamers chat room. There's something off the bucketlist.

Like it ever was on the list.

Welp I'm guessing I can pass on that one, last game I played was the original mario bros or maybe donkey kong, duck hunt, and that land on the carrier game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, you got me to join a gamers chat room. There's something off the bucketlist.

Like it ever was on the list.
It was actually a pretty level headed conversation during the game Saturday. I can't even handle the game threads on CF anymore.

The site itself is set up for gamers, but the conversation we've had over the past few days has been about more than just gaming.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Honestly the expensive part is buying the phone. I pay 35/month for everything unlimited.
I switched to Google Fi in December. My bill is $40-$45 each month. Of course I had to spend $800 on a phone. I figure by next January I will be even with how much Sprint was screwing me. You can get a cheaper phone if you want to that will work with Fi.

Reactions: cycloneG

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Some of you may remember me mentioning our company's matriarch, she is 97 years old and still comes to work 4 days a week. Last week she was diagnosed with colon cancer. It sounds like it's treatable, but anything that major at her age can't be good.

I can tell you this - when she leaves us all, it will leave a huge void. She is one of the most remarkable people I have ever known.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
My wife has a lot of small crappy whole or universal LI policies that her folks started for her. I have slowly convinced her to make some changes. A couple months ago her largest term policy popped up and I had her roll this universal policy amount into it. The amount in there would buy enough Principal stock (pays a 2 1/2 % area dividend) that the dividends would pay for the extra term insurance and she would save the investment amount and get any stock appreciation. Well now the stock is down to about 65% of where we first looked. Think I may pull some cash out and buy tomorrow.

I have mutual funds and set my own stuff up there. What is the best place to buy individual stocks? Does it take much work to buy and what do they charge? The few I have were bought through an independent broker who didn’t even buy me lunch before she effed me with the fees.

A lot of online trading institutions don't charge fees anymore for buying and selling stock. I've been using Vanguard for years. They let you buy and sell stocks for free now. It used to be you could buy and sell their ETFs and mutual funds for free. Now everything is free in terms of buying and selling.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I switched to Google Fi in December. My bill is $40-$45 each month. Of course I had to spend $800 on a phone. I figure by next January I will be even with how much Sprint was screwing me. You can get a cheaper phone if you want to that will work with Fi.

We've been on Google Fi for about a year and a half. Our bill for two of us is usually between $45 and $50. We don't really have any complaints and the price is about half of what we were paying previously.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Question. Can’t remember who was the law ppl in here so I’ll ask other opinions. So about a month ago, I got my car totaled as a guy lost it on the ice and hit me.

Back story. it’s a 2 lane road going each way with a median in the middle. So I’m pulling up and there is already a 4 car wreck covering my 2 lanes and the median. Cars from each way are doing the whole Iowa nice thing where 1 car goes and then let’s the other direction go and so on.

No more cars are coming besides a long way up the hill and I’m at the wreck so I pull around it into the other lane slowly. Get around it and back into (at least the median) if not entirely in my lane when I look to my left and I see an SUV coming directly at an angle and nails my right behind my left drivers wheel. I go and ask what happened and if he lost it on the ice and he says yes but speaks very little English so that’s all I really got out of him.

Cops come, takes care of both wrecks. Looking at the police report that day, the only ticket was No Valid Drivers license. He was on his wife’s insurance. Police Report has a diagram where it shows that according to his report, I was hit in my 2 lanes.

So we start the insurance process and he has minimal insurance they doesn’t even get close to covering the total so mine (progressive) takes the lead All goes smoothly, they’ve collected the amount from his insurance, I get a new vehicle, and I think everything is done.
Fast forward a month, and his wife sends me a threatening text about how I need to take responsibility for this and pay for this and that I am at fault and if not they are filing a suit against me.
My local insurance says they are idiots and pretty much laugh at their claim but will do what is needed. I do some creeping and look at their history. This guy has been busted for failure to have a drivers license now 3 times and 1 time his wife got a ticket the same day for allowing him to operate a vehicle under her name.

I’m guessing that they don’t have the money to replace their vehicle. They live in section 8 housing and insurance thinks threatening is just their way to try and get something out of the deal.

So is there anyway that this comes back as my fault? I did cross over but was back into the median/my lane when I got hit. The guy was going too fast down hill and lost in on the ice IMO.

TL;DR

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Well heck gonna have to hit the road early again tomorrow.

Hey CR peeps what station would you recommend over that way to be able to listen to the MBB game on Wed? If all else fails I figure KWMT will come in it carries pretty well during the day.
Hey. That's a FD station. My grandma used to listen to it. I think it was pretty much 24 hours of fire and brimstone preachers when I was growing up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Question. Can’t remember who was the law ppl in here so I’ll ask other opinions. So about a month ago, I got my car totaled as a guy lost it on the ice and hit me.

Back story. it’s a 2 lane road going each way with a median in the middle. So I’m pulling up and there is already a 4 car wreck covering my 2 lanes and the median. Cars from each way are doing the whole Iowa nice thing where 1 car goes and then let’s the other direction go and so on.

No more cars are coming besides a long way up the hill and I’m at the wreck so I pull around it into the other lane slowly. Get around it and back into (at least the median) if not entirely in my lane when I look to my left and I see an SUV coming directly at an angle and nails my right behind my left drivers wheel. I go and ask what happened and if he lost it on the ice and he says yes but speaks very little English so that’s all I really got out of him.

Cops come, takes care of both wrecks. Looking at the police report that day, the only ticket was No Valid Drivers license. He was on his wife’s insurance. Police Report has a diagram where it shows that according to his report, I was hit in my 2 lanes.

So we start the insurance process and he has minimal insurance they doesn’t even get close to covering the total so mine (progressive) takes the lead All goes smoothly, they’ve collected the amount from his insurance, I get a new vehicle, and I think everything is done.
Fast forward a month, and his wife sends me a threatening text about how I need to take responsibility for this and pay for this and that I am at fault and if not they are filing a suit against me.
My local insurance says they are idiots and pretty much laugh at their claim but will do what is needed. I do some creeping and look at their history. This guy has been busted for failure to have a drivers license now 3 times and 1 time his wife got a ticket the same day for allowing him to operate a vehicle under her name.

I’m guessing that they don’t have the money to replace their vehicle. They live in section 8 housing and insurance thinks threatening is just their way to try and get something out of the deal.

So is there anyway that this comes back as my fault? I did cross over but was back into the median/my lane when I got hit. The guy was going too fast down hill and lost in on the ice IMO.

TL;DR
@CloneLawman and woo(traitor)badger? Are.

I think they are phishing for cash. They would probably have to small claims it since I doubt they can afford a lawyer. First he was illegally driving, then he should have had failure to maintain control. The police report says you were in your lane, I would just say the written report was your statement at the time and not offer much more. Always fun to deal with hawk fans.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

TL;DR
I agree with your insurance agent.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Hey CR peeps what station would you recommend over that way to be able to listen to the MBB game on Wed? If all else fails I figure KWMT will come in it carries pretty well during the day.

1600 AM should have it but they don't have a strong transmitter. Depending on where you are coming from I can pick up 100.3 out of DSM up to the west side of town. If you don't mind streaming I would just bring it up on TuneIn.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

91dSikE3RUL._SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.