This is why Prohm must go........

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Makes you wonder what his true motives are!

It appears he has a bone to pick with some specific posters here. When his flawed arguments are pointed out, as a defense mechanism he claims that any fan who is unhappy with our performance simply has it out for Prohm personally (rather than his 17-37 Big 12 record the past 3 years). That leads to his ridiculous arguments like this claim that fans wouldn’t be happy with a sweet 16 next year.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Really? The most losses at home by 20 or more? What about losses at home by 15 or 21 or 25 or 19 with a full moon? It is not a commonly used and recognized stat. Come on.

This is a standard team stat line from Sports Reference for the 18-19 Clones:

Team and Opponent Stats

G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS PTS/G

I would be bet real money that Prohm is the leader at ISU in losses at home by 15 or 21 or 25 or 19 with a full moon.

You can't be that literal right? If you don't understand why losing by 20+ on a regular basis is a bad sign, then there is no hope for you.

When Prohm was handed the program, it was at one of the highest points in its history, that is a fact. No argument from me on that. However, he is now setting such lows that they are an embarrassment to the program. You base a coach of his or her predecessor, not the guy from the early 80s. That probably isn't fair to the present coach, but for 3 million a year, you need to produce.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So other than a four year stretch where we had a coach that brilliantly transformed the transfer market, which has now been copied by everyone else.

what is the actual historical records of Iowa State basketball?

Ah. The old “ISU was bad 40 years ago and we should use that as our reference point rather than looking at recent history and striving to at least match that” argument. Reeks of desperation.

if a coach is clearly unable to keep the program at the level he inherited - it’s time for a better coach. Or we could try it your way, and lower expectations because of where the program was decades ago.

Which approach should a winner take? If you were a leader, which route do you think will best help achieve success?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It's reasonable to expect more frequent trips to the NCAA than we had pre-Hoiberg. It's also not reasonable to expect getting into the tournament for streaks of 6 consecutive years like ISU did in by far its best period of sustained success.

Personally I will never be mad about and ISU team getting a 4, 5 or 6 seed like ISU has since Prohm took over. Could it have been better, sure? But I don't agree with those calling any of those teams failures or major underachievers. Last years team had significant roster turnover and uncertainty not all that different to those in 2011-12 and 12-13. Those teams were 8 and 10 seeds. You can argue which of these rosters had more turnover, more talent, etc., but those differences are not so glaring that you can with certainty call an 8 or 10 seed a success and a 6 seed a failure. It's easy to be really excited about an 8 or 10 seed when you are coming off a six year post season drought. It's tougher to get excited about a wildly inconsistent 6 seed when you are coming off of a recently ended 6 year NCAA streak.

With that said, I just don't see how this years team can be this bad. Not make the tournament, that's one thing. But they are SO bad and just not even competitive in so many games.

I don’t expect 6 straight tournament trips. I do expect better than 1 out of 3 (especially when it looks likely to be 4) when 2 of the years are historically bad. Right now it is hard to see the peak being higher than last years squad.

If that is our peak followed by the bottom of the Big 12.... it’s time to give it the old Wayne Morgan test. When he was fired a year removed from the tournament and a decent team, I was fine with it because I didn’t believe he could get our program to a higher level than that. Apply that test to Prohm.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Can we least agree that shooting is the only way to fix this or do others think we can fix it in a different fashion?

Like having a good quarterback, good shooting covers up other deficiencies. You can win a decent amount of games but your weaknesses get exposed when you play more balanced teams.

Cat made a great point earlier about defense and rebounding. Those things are huge and what I was talking about with great shooting covering up deficiencies. Defense and rebounding is something you can carry with you even when shooting does not work. Like Cat said, there is not much hope in those departments right now.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
And to return to this. Imagine being so clueless about the state of athletics and facilities across the NCAA.

Like was said earlier, we aren’t as far behind anymore, compared to where we used to be. But it’s not like other schools just stand pat and don’t improve
I think that's kinda the whole point Cat.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: CyBobby and Cy$

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Like I said, I don't care if they fire Prohm, I can make the case for or against it. Just try to have a little perspective of what the ISU program and job really are.

I've said it a million times on here but I think last year was a great year. The problem with Prohm is not the highs. Nobody is asking for titles although it would be nice.

Two of his five years have been two of the worst years in program history. This year we haven't played a meaningful game in 2020. That kills a fanbase. I was in the seat for every game of the McD era and while I might be spoiled, I haven't made any attempt to watch a road game in a while. This team doesn't interest me in any way. That's a very bad thing that needs to change right now.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It appears he has a bone to pick with some specific posters here. When his flawed arguments are pointed out, as a defense mechanism he claims that any fan who is unhappy with our performance simply has it out for Prohm personally (rather than his 17-37 Big 12 record the past 3 years). That leads to his ridiculous arguments like this claim that fans wouldn’t be happy with a sweet 16 next year.
We all cope with the losing in our own way!
I hope when we win he’s as happy then as he is miserable now. He’s one of us, presumably! I don’t recall him being around prior to the recent seasons, so maybe he’s just a troll?

Anyways, spring is starting soon. Will we at least see some new assistants?!?!?!? A new pg????

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Really? The most losses at home by 20 or more? What about losses at home by 15 or 21 or 25 or 19 with a full moon? It is not a commonly used and recognized stat. Come on.

This is a standard team stat line from Sports Reference for the 18-19 Clones:

Team and Opponent Stats

G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS PTS/G

Of course it's not commonly used or recognized. It should be rare.

It's being looked at this year because it illustrates the point in my prior post - there have been way, way too many games this year are absolutely pointless games. They aren't fun to watch and the game is decided quickly.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyfanisu

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Saturday kind of summed up the season. We are so bad that we got toasted by the only team in the conference with a worse record. It was not available on TV where I live and I was thankful for that. I love to watch ISU games and pull for them, but there is nothing to pull for this year.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Saturday kind of summed up the season. We are so bad that we got toasted by the only team in the conference with a worse record. It was not available on TV where I live and I was thankful for that. I love to watch ISU games and pull for them, but there is nothing to pull for this year.

You don't have Internet where you live? It was on ESPN+ which means it was available anywhere that has Internet.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Until Jamie Pollard got to ISU, ISU never had the facilities or the budget in any sport to legitimately compete in any sport. You people that bring up the historic records or say people need to look at perspective, the times have changed since then. ISU now has the budget and facilities to compete in both football and basketball, and the expectations should be raised, especially in basketball with the coach we have who inherited a top 10 team and a program that had gained national recognition over the 3-4 years before he arrived. That coach has now set all time record lows for the program in multiple categories. There is no reason for it with what ISU has now for facilities and budget.

EXPECTATIONS SHOULD BE RAISED.....You Sir are Absolutely Correct....This program's goals should be to win a regular season conference title every five years.....If thats too high a bar...then get a NEW COACH!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
And to return to this. Imagine being so clueless about the state of athletics and facilities across the NCAA.

Like was said earlier, we aren’t as far behind anymore, compared to where we used to be. But it’s not like other schools just stand pat and don’t improve

I agree my friend...Every school improves their facilities because its a never ending arms race towards winning....Coaches don't get paid for LOSING....

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens