Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
THEE biggest complaint about Foster on this board has been that he spends too much time on the wing. How are you this stupid?

200.webp

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As a lot of you know I follow and watch high school basketball a lot. Something that has not been touched on yet is if you watch film on foster or watched him live he does not like to get physical underneath. He shys away from contact and would rather just take open jump shots then go underneath. Even on defense he is not physical at all. It takes 1 game of his to see this

I have three theories on this that make way more sense then "he doesn't want to get physical underneath":

A) He has aspirations beyond Little Hawkeye Conference basketball. He doesn't want to injure himself.

B) He feels like crafting his outside game is much better for his long term prospects. This gets back to point A above, but we all know he could go dunk on some 6'2" kid from Winterset any time he wants. But for him to be successful at the next level he will benefit greatly from an ability to shoot and put the ball on the floor. So again-- is he getting any better bodying up some 175 pound kid from DCG?

C) He's bored. He has a bad team, he plays against mediocre competition, and he's bored.

I'm on record saying that alot of our hopes for him are riding on him having a "next level" we didn't see in high school. It will be Prohm's job to pull that out of it. But I'm not about to make sweeping assumptions about his game based on a Tuesday night game against Pella Christain or something.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I have three theories on this that make way more sense then "he doesn't want to get physical underneath":

A) He has aspirations beyond Little Hawkeye Conference basketball. He doesn't want to injure himself.

B) He feels like crafting his outside game is much better for his long term prospects. This gets back to point A above, but we all know he could go dunk on some 6'2" kid from Winterset any time he wants. But for him to be successful at the next level he will benefit greatly from an ability to shoot and put the ball on the floor. So again-- is he getting any better bodying up some 175 pound kid from DCG?

C) He's bored. He has a bad team, he plays against mediocre competition, and he's bored.

I'm on record saying that alot of our hopes for him are riding on him having a "next level" we didn't see in high school. It will be Prohm's job to pull that out of it. But I'm not about to make sweeping assumptions about his game based on a Tuesday night game against Pella Christain or something.

Having seen him play a handful of times, I will add another reason for the perceived lack of physicality, staying out of foul trouble. Just in the Pella game alone, he was grabbed, leaned on, and held constantly, no call from the officials. Big men get picked on by officials, if he were to do any of the stuff that was being done to him, instant foul.

• Informative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As a lot of you know I follow and watch high school basketball a lot. Something that has not been touched on yet is if you watch film on foster or watched him live he does not like to get physical underneath. He shys away from contact and would rather just take open jump shots then go underneath. Even on defense he is not physical at all. It takes 1 game of his to see this

Here is a 14 minute highlight video of him from last year. This video shows him being physical, demanding the ball, and finishing down low through contact. It shows his wide variety of skills from shot blocking, dunking ability, and ball handling. This film is more than one game and completely disproves everything you're saying.

For anyone that doesn't want to watch this entire video, just skip to the 2:30 mark and you'll see a play that epitomizes who Xavier is, what he's about, and why he's a top 60 recruit.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Hoping he can step right in to Jacobsen's spot next year. I'm anticipating Foster will defend and shoot better than Jacobsen, so that can be a net win. Combine that with a rotation in the post of Solo/Conditt and they should be pretty solid near the basket when healthy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hoping he can step right in to Jacobsen's spot next year. I'm anticipating Foster will defend and shoot better than Jacobsen, so that can be a net win. Combine that with a rotation in the post of Solo/Conditt and they should be pretty solid near the basket when healthy.
Foster is better in every single facet of the game besides experience at this moment. Foster might need a little bit of time to get acclimated but he's going to impact a game in a variety of more ways than Jacobson ever could.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Here is a 14 minute highlight video of him from last year. This video shows him being physical, demanding the ball, and finishing down low through contact. It shows his wide variety of skills from shot blocking, dunking ability, and ball handling. This film is more than one game and completely disproves everything you're saying.

For anyone that doesn't want to watch this entire video, just skip to the 2:30 mark and you'll see a play that epitomizes who Xavier is, what he's about, and why he's a top 60 recruit.

Watched most of the video saw a ton of ability but also a kid that if he were to lose his left arm it would have almost no affect on his game. He's got a couple years of growing to do.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Watched most of the video saw a ton of ability but also a kid that if he were to lose his left arm it would have almost no affect on his game. He's got a couple years of growing to do.
Yeah if he were completely polished he would've ended up at Duke or Kentucky. I'm happy he's coming because he could be a year or two away from being a premier player.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
What do you want him to adapt to? If you don't have the horses you don't have the horses. There was no magic formula for this team.
Yep, I hadn't directly commented on the obvious lack of talent and agree w/ that. My point is that whatever success this team was going to have, it wasn't going to be from one of the guards be ball-dominant- including TH, great at dishing, shooting 3s, but not at creating his shot. It was to use more movement, picks away from the ball, and inside game. I'm not suggesting I knew Solo was going to play like he has this latter part of the year, but most of us knew Jacobson was going to struggle playing outside.

On the D side, Prohm had the same mantra all year about needing to improve, but the guys clearly didn't all give the effort. He never seemed to make PT calls based on this - no wonder it didn't change. I still can't believe that we have bigs & guards switching so bigs are guarding a PG and guards are getting posted up by Cs. That's insane.

I've been a Prohm fan and hope he can right the ship. Was really bothersome to watch in total. He's recruited well, but if the talent's not ripe yet, I'm concerned he won't adjust. This isn't the TWolves whose new mgt can sell their new style and acknowledge the need to get the players...

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Meh. You could say the same about Bolton and he still managed to average almost 15ppg this season while only driving to his right 95% of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: jay moe

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Honestly, why? Jacobson and Foster had basically the same shooting numbers this past year from 2 and 3 point. Foster is going to shoot just as well or even better as a freshman after adjusting from 3A Iowa High School to the Big 12? You're setting yourself up to be disappointed next year if so.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Honestly, why? Jacobson and Foster had basically the same shooting numbers this past year from 2 and 3 point. Foster is going to shoot just as well or even better as a freshman after adjusting from 3A Iowa High School to the Big 12? You're setting yourself up to be disappointed next year if so.
I think we also have to take into account the fact that most of Xavier's threes are made by him off the dribble. He's rarely being set up by his teammates because his team was just downright awful. He has extremely good range for his size and his shot is very pure. There will for sure be a learning curve when Foster gets here, but hopefully he transitions quickly.

He will be better on defense though. Mike's athleticism isn't comparable to Foster's and Foster should be able to use his length to a great advantage. Even if Xavier gets beat on the first step, he's so damn long and athletic that he can chase his man down and block / effect the shot at the basket. He's like a Conditt but more coordinated.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think we also have to take into account the fact that most of Xavier's threes are made by him off the dribble. He's rarely being set up by his teammates because his team was just downright awful. He has extremely good range for his size and his shot is very pure. There will for sure be a learning curve when Foster gets here, but hopefully he transitions quickly.

He will be better on defense though. Mike's athleticism isn't comparable to Foster's and Foster should be able to use his length to a great advantage. Even if Xavier gets beat on the first step, he's so damn long and athletic that he can chase his man down and block / effect the shot at the basket. He's like a Conditt but more coordinated.
His learning curve playing defense will be steep next year. Guarding bigs down low without fouling will be a challenge for him as a freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
His learning curve playing defense will be steep next year. Guarding bigs down low without fouling will be a challenge for him as a freshman.
I would definitely say so as well. I guess I was forgetting about teams when they'd go double big. Even Conditt still has trouble defending in the low post without fouling.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron