Interesting Article About Raiding the PAC-12

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
Please no. It's been working great the way it is. Few duds for matchups in football season and you play every team in the conference every year. 10 is working great. Unless you tell me we are going to blow the whole conference structure up and go to regional divisions like a pro sports league I dont want any more changes. The more times we play musical chairs the more likely it is ISU gets left without a seat.
Love Regional Division idea-
Iowa State
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska

Sign me up for visitor tickets to go with my ISU season tickets.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Love Regional Division idea-
Iowa State
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska

Sign me up for visitor tickets to go with my ISU season tickets.

This is my dream scenario of where things get to. Wouldn't be awesome to easily be able to go to away games?

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1 and cykee05

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Please no. It's been working great the way it is. Few duds for matchups in football season and you play every team in the conference every year. 10 is working great. Unless you tell me we are going to blow the whole conference structure up and go to regional divisions like a pro sports league I dont want any more changes. The more times we play musical chairs the more likely it is ISU gets left without a seat.

I really enjoy the current 10 team set up of the Big 12 and if ISU was guaranteed it wouldn't change I would be all for staying with it.

But....
The B12 should do it's due diligence and if adding 2-4-6 west coast schools would make the Big 12 as the premiere conference and provide ISU Big 10 money or more plus a seat at the final Big Boy table for reasonable future I would get behind it, even if it meant watching ISU games start at 11PM once in awhile.

Reality is even though the Athletic article is written with the Big 12 as the predator, I am sure the PAC 12 now sensing weakness could just as likely try to restart talks with UT/OU giving them what they didn't last time to bring them under their umbrella and destabilize ISU's situation.
While ISU football/basketball is in a much better situation nationally than it was 10-15 years ago, it is far from a given that ISU would easily find a good landing spot if that were to occur.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is my dream scenario of where things get to. Wouldn't be awesome to easily be able to go to away games?

5 of the schools on our annual schedule (Iowa, KU, KSU, OU, OSU) are really easy road trips.

Now, I'd rather have Missouri, Texas, CU, Minnesota, Wisky in the mix instead of the Texas schools, but we still have a lot of easy road trips.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The Big 12 really is a great example of showing how well a ten team league works with the current structure. Amazing for basketball and football, the home and away in the basketball season is so much fun.

I don't disagree, but in the end geography, fun, schedule sanity, etc are all in the 3rd row of the minivan. Money is in the driver seat and ESPN in the passenger seat with the GPS.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
5 of the schools on our annual schedule (Iowa, KU, KSU, OU, OSU) are really easy road trips.

Now, I'd rather have Missouri, Texas, CU, Minnesota, Wisky in the mix instead of the Texas schools, but we still have a lot of easy road trips.

Yes that would be cool, but that would be a nearly irrelevant sports league to the east, south, and west, ie 90% of the country. No one would watch. Better sign up for the Ocho to catch most games, because that's where they'd be. With the resulting TV contract revenue.

As much as I don't like saying it, being connected to Texas (the school and the state) really helps with money, recruiting and national interest in ISU. Being connected to AZ and Cali would probably help more.

And I say this as someone who HATES 14-team league scheduling...

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
Regional Conferences
8 Team Playoff
1 Team from each Conference
1 G5 Team
1 At-Large team

West Coast Conference
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Washington
Washington State
California

Midwest Conference
Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Southern Conference
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Mississippi State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Ole Miss
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern Conference
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Great Lakes Conference
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

East Coast Conference
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I don't disagree, but in the end geography, fun, schedule sanity, etc are all in the 3rd row of the minivan. Money is in the driver seat and ESPN in the passenger seat with the GPS.
Oh yeah, no doubt it is all about money and they are making a lot of it. I just think there is probably a way to get the best of both worlds where more money is made with a better structure.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I really enjoy the current 10 team set up of the Big 12 and if ISU was guaranteed it wouldn't change I would be all for staying with it.

But....
The B12 should do it's due diligence and if adding 2-4-6 west coast schools would make the Big 12 as the premiere conference and provide ISU Big 10 money or more plus a seat at the final Big Boy table for reasonable future I would get behind it, even if it meant watching ISU games start at 11PM once in awhile.

Reality is even though the Athletic article is written with the Big 12 as the predator, I am sure the PAC 12 now sensing weakness could just as likely try to restart talks with UT/OU giving them what they didn't last time to bring them under their umbrella and destabilize ISU's situation.
While ISU football/basketball is in a much better situation nationally than it was 10-15 years ago, it is far from a given that ISU would easily find a good landing spot if that were to occur.
The PAC 12 may want to restart talks with UT/OU, but there is no way that either would accept a subservient role to the folks in LA...now maybe there is a chance if the PAC 12 moves its HQ to Dallas...yeah, not happening. There now simply is too much money in the Big 12 to warrant them moving to the PAC 12...that wasn't the case with the PAC 12 grabbed Colorado 10 years ago. Money-wise, the power now resides in the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yes that would be cool, but that would be a nearly irrelevant sports league to the east, south, and west, ie 90% of the country. No one would watch. Better sign up for the Ocho to catch most games, because that's where they'd be. With the resulting TV contract revenue.

As much as I don't like saying it, being connected to Texas (the school and the state) really helps with money, recruiting and national interest in ISU. Being connected to AZ and Cali would probably help more.

And I say this as someone who HATES 14-team league scheduling...

ISU vs USC in the Coliseum
And Vs UCLA in the Rose Bowl

Yes please.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The Big 12 needs to smell the blood in the water and go to work. Beebe sat on his hands ten years ago and it damn near put Iowa State into the Mountain West. Conference realignment will happen again in some capacity it's the Big 12's turn to make the move. The Pac 12 is a disaster and there are teams ripe for the picking.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Regional Conferences
8 Team Playoff
1 G5 Team
1 At-Large team

West Coast Conference
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Washington
Washington State
California

Midwest Conference
Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Southern Conference
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Mississippi State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Ole Miss
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern Conference
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Great Lakes Conference
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

East Coast Conference
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Not bad you have Louisville twice. G5 team only if they are in the top 10.

Reactions: cykee05

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Just because this conference setup has worked for the last several years doesn’t mean it’s going to work heading into the next TV deal. I’m not exactly thrilled with the idea of going to 16 teams and expanding the conference across 4 time zones, but if that’s what it takes to permanently cement ISU’s status as a P5 school, then sign me up, because I’ll take a geographically dysfunctional P5 conference over a G5 conference any day.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just because this conference setup has worked for the last several years doesn’t mean it’s going to work heading into the next TV deal. I’m not exactly thrilled with the idea of going to 16 teams and expanding the conference across 4 time zones, but if that’s what it takes to permanently cement ISU’s status as a P5 school, then sign me up, because I’ll take a geographically dysfunctional P5 conference over a G5 conference any day.

I don't really understand why this is a big deal though. In fact from a TV revenue standpoint I think it would be a grand slam. The only school this would really negatively impact is WV and honestly so what.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Regional Conferences
8 Team Playoff
1 G5 Team
1 At-Large team

West Coast Conference
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Washington
Washington State
California

Midwest Conference
Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Southern Conference
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Mississippi State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Ole Miss
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern Conference
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Great Lakes Conference
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

East Coast Conference
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

That East Coast Conference is BUTT

• Agree
Reactions: cykee05

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I dunno guys. It just seems really out of place to start buddying up to west coast teams, unnatural.

Here's to Corona wiping out both coasts and the south so the BIG12 can expand by 52 teams.

Reactions: Cycho1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Tonight they were interviewing the author on the Big 12 channel, I only heard half of it, but he stated that the Pac 12 is really struggling now, and USC was looking for options. If UCLA was attached at the hip to CAL, then take Utah instead.

He thought the money per school would be in the lower 50's each year. And the New Big 12 could own the late night viewers, imagine a six o'clock game between Texas and Washington or Oregon, followed up at 9:00 by OU and USC. Let the Big 10 have the early 11:00 start, but push the bigger games from the Big 12 starting at 6 and 9 PM, central time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Big 12 needs to smell the blood in the water and go to work. Beebe sat on his hands ten years ago and it damn near put Iowa State into the Mountain West. Conference realignment will happen again in some capacity it's the Big 12's turn to make the move. The Pac 12 is a disaster and there are teams ripe for the picking.

Yeah but we have Bowlsby who is basically a donut dunker. So we need a new guy at the helm to handle that.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Tonight they were interviewing the author on the Big 12 channel, I only heard half of it, but he stated that the Pac 12 is really struggling now, and USC was looking for options. If UCLA was attached at the hip to CAL, then take Utah instead.

He thought the money per school would be in the lower 50's each year. And the New Big 12 could own the late night viewers, imagine a six o'clock game between Texas and Washington or Oregon, followed up at 9:00 by OU and USC. Let the Big 10 have the early 11:00 start, but push the bigger games from the Big 12 starting at 6 and 9 PM, central time.

Now, imagine nobody watching the 9:00 OU/USC game. That's part of the problem that the Pac-12 has now. The west coast people don't watch football, and 9:00 PM (10:00 PM EST) start is too late for the people in the east who are interested in watching football.