Are we being to harsh

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah the 16-17 season has a much rosier picture because things got rolling in February after a pretty bumpy start especially with all that was returning. ISU was 13-8 entering January. I think most people would say CSP did a nice job that year--heck even that Jereisb said that.

A red flag to me was when ISU won at KU, besides getting hot from 3, Solo played a big part by doing a nice job on defense that really screwed KU up a bit.

The next game was a bad night at Texas, with Solo playing 14 minutes and CSP did his retrospective thing after that game talking about how he probably should have played more.

No they really didn’t. What happened was everyone in all social media platforms were all over prohm then too.

then Kansas and winning 11 out 14 happened, and they all left.

but when we lost to Purdue, they all came back with a vengeance.

last year was pretty similar too. The crewe only shows when things are bad.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Who on this team would you be sad about leaving that isn't already leaving. Conditt? Hes gotten worse throughout this season. Griffin? Hes a bust. Lewis? Prohm doesn't utilize him and I think hes gone no matter what. Bolton? Hes good but makes some awful decisions.

Isn’t it really neat when you see people claiming to be fans, not support the players on the team?

I’m sure you make the rest proud.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Stevie P’s win percentage is like .569 or something. That is like OK but not really that good. It’s close to 100 points behind Huggins. 100+ behind the last decade of Scott Drew. And 20 points behind Bruce Weber at K-State. Like just not not that good guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Stevie P’s win percentage is like .569 or something. That is like OK but not really that good. It’s close to 100 points behind Huggins. 100+ behind the last decade of Scott Drew. And 20 points behind Bruce Weber at K-State. Like just not not that good guys.
Bruce Weber has been a head coach since 1998. Bob Huggins has been a head coach since 1984. Both of them have had years sprinkled in where they haven't been very good at all. Both of them have made the final 4 and Weber coached in a national title.

Not really fair bringing those guys up and comparing it to a guy who's been coaching since 2011 and has had two bad years in that time frame.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Isn’t it really neat when you see people claiming to be fans, not support the players on the team?

I’m sure you make the rest proud.

I am a fan, but when you lose to teams like florida A&M at home you should probably question the level of talent on your team and most importantly your coach. So in your way of thinking we should keep a coach and players because well there on the team let's just hope for the best...you think any of the blue bloods do that?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am a fan, but when you lose to teams like florida A&M at home you should probably question the level of talent on your team and most importantly your coach. So in your way of thinking we should keep a coach and players because well there on the team let's just hope for the best...you think any of the blue bloods do that?
Well we're not a blue blood program, so we shouldn't hold ourselves to that sort of standard. If a couple of players on a blue blood aren't playing well or suffer an injury, they have the privilege of being able to go to their bench with another 3-4 star type guy who can cushion a blow. We don't have the luxury of that. And there are even some years where blue bloods have a down year. Look at UNC this year. Look at Arizona last year. Sean Miller became the coach in 2010 and missed his first 2 of 3 NCAA tournaments.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

no genius. But you don’t need to rip on kids on a fan site.

But the best news for you is since prohm and most of the kids you have a problem with will be back next year, you can save yourself all kinds of aggravation, and save yourself the pain of watching them.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
No they really didn’t. What happened was everyone in all social media platforms were all over prohm then too.

then Kansas and winning 11 out 14 happened, and they all left.

but when we lost to Purdue, they all came back with a vengeance.

last year was pretty similar too. The crewe only shows when things are bad.

That Purdue loss was one of Prohm's worst coaching efforts. Let me remind you how they didn't figure out nobody could guard Burton until the second half:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
That Purdue loss was one of Prohm's worst coaching efforts. Let me remind you how they didn't figure out nobody could guard Burton until the second half:

So no credit for figuring out the mismatch and exploiting it?

You must think Matt Painter is a terrible coach then.

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
Bruce Weber has been a head coach since 1998. Bob Huggins has been a head coach since 1984. Both of them have had years sprinkled in where they haven't been very good at all. Both of them have made the final 4 and Weber coached in a national title.

Not really fair bringing those guys up and comparing it to a guy who's been coaching since 2011 and has had two bad years in that time frame.

It is perfectly fair. As an example in the last game vs WVU, the announcers praised Huggins for his coaching job this year - not having the normal, pressing guards that he's use to, and switching to a 2 Big line up to take advantage of his current teams strengths. Meanwhile, CSP keeps running basically a 4 guard offense out there after his starting crew changes - how many times have we seen Solo and Conditt on the court at the same time? Umm, that would be basically ZERO! I still think they would compliment each other on both offense and defense. George gets beat up and he's typically on the court with 4 of the following: Bolton, Nixon, Jackson, Grill and Griffen...I'm still concerned with what happens next year adding Foster to the mix? I don't think Steve knows how to maximize his big guys.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Looking at the last 3 years w/ Prohm’s recruited players - does anything think we’ve 1) looked well coached or 2) overachieved based on the talent on the roster?

Massive no from me. We are sitting here with an above average recruiter (compared to ISU standards) and a below average coach. And I don’t think we should settle for average.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It is perfectly fair. As an example in the last game vs WVU, the announcers praised Huggins for his coaching job this year - not having the normal, pressing guards that he's use to, and switching to a 2 Big line up to take advantage of his current teams strengths. Meanwhile, CSP keeps running basically a 4 guard offense out there after his starting crew changes - how many times have we seen Solo and Conditt on the court at the same time? Umm, that would be basically ZERO! I still think they would compliment each other on both offense and defense. George gets beat up and he's typically on the court with 4 of the following: Bolton, Nixon, Jackson, Grill and Griffen...I'm still concerned with what happens next year adding Foster to the mix? I don't think Steve knows how to maximize his big guys.
How is it fair to compare Prohm, who's been a head coach for 9 total years, to coaches that have done this for 20-30 years? Bob Huggins is in the top-10 for most wins of all time and you're trying to measure Prohm up against him.. Also, West Virginia has lost 6 out of their last 8 games this year and you're here praising his coaching ability. Prohm lost 6 out of the last 8 games last year and people wanted him fired for God sakes lol.

And WVU runs a double big lineup because their bigs are enormous AND they happen to be the leading scorers on the team. And even at that, WVU happens to be a much worse offensive team than us per KenPom. Solomon playing with Conditt at the same time would not save this team.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
So no credit for figuring out the mismatch and exploiting it?

You must think Matt Painter is a terrible coach then.

He's a good enough coach. Any scouting of Purdue would show Swanigan was too slow to keep up with Burton, and anyone smaller would get destroyed on the drive or the block.

The Cyclones erased a 19-point deficit in the second half

Burton scored 17 of his 25 points in the second half, putting on a show in his hometown of Milwaukee

Good coaches paid multimillions of dollars shouldn't need to wait until a half is over to figure things out.

What game does that remind me of? Oh, right:

They withstood a second-half push by the fourth-seeded Cyclones (23-12) after grabbing a big lead in the early going and advanced to their first regional final since 1995.

Maybe someday he'll figure things out and get players that are coachable and that he relates to.

"They came more focused than us tonight," Iowa State forward Cameron Lard said. "We didn't buy into the details the coach was telling us of not giving easy angles and all the little things."