Cody Fisher

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Started looking into this because I was really curious to see how it broke down. Didn’t get very far before I realized it is really hard to find listed height for wrestlers. Might go back to it when I have a lot of time to do some digging because I’m stubborn like that.
So true. Only a handful are listed. Easier to find some of the more successful guys from the recent past.

Don Bradley 6’0” https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/Dom-Bradley

Mocco 6’0” https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/Steven-Mocco

Zabriskie 6’0” https://cyclones.com/sports/wrestling/roster/david-zabriskie/2876

Tony Nelson 6’4” https://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/NE/Tony-Nelson

Gwiz 6’1” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Gwiazdowski

cywr89

May 14, 2009
This years weight changes have made me scratch my head. Anyone paying attention knew we needed Shapiro at 197 this year. Why he was cutting to 184 his redshirt year seems like a bad idea. Where would he be today if he allowed to grow, lift and get used to the weight?

Clearly we had no one in the pipeline for a backup heavy this year and zero on the roster post GG. Allowing/asking Duggan to drop down to 197 thus year is near malfeasance. What if GG had been injured for a long period of time? I can only assume there is no future for Duggan at Heavy either his or the coaches decision because bumping him back up in an off season and expecting him to compete at a high level is absurd.
it wasn’t the coaches choice for Duggan to go 197. It was his. Also, I’m sure the coaches knew all along that Ethan Anderson was going to retire during the summer and Kaden Sauer was going to get injured and have to hang it up. Both of them would had been decent backups. I too hope Duggan decides to build back up. He was way more effective at heavy. I would be surprised if they don’t bring in a transfer for heavy this offseason.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
If Cody is our answer at hwt we are in trouble. It’s not his athleticism or skill but he will definitely be lacking in size. By my eye test he looks like an undersized 197 at the moment but I’m sure our staff will change that in a hurry.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Started looking into this because I was really curious to see how it broke down. Didn’t get very far before I realized it is really hard to find listed height for wrestlers. Might go back to it when I have a lot of time to do some digging because I’m stubborn like that.
It's frustrating for sure, but some colleges, e.g., Iowa, Okla, Cornell, still list heights.

Here's one source of data if you haven't already considered:
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/database (go to Athlete. Put in name. Some will list height (in cm))
NCAA hwt champ Kurt Angle was 5-11.

Last edited:

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
it wasn’t the coaches choice for Duggan to go 197. It was his. Also, I’m sure the coaches knew all along that Ethan Anderson was going to retire during the summer and Kaden Sauer was going to get injured and have to hang it up. Both of them would had been decent backups. I too hope Duggan decides to build back up. He was way more effective at heavy. I would be surprised if they don’t bring in a transfer for heavy this offseason.

If Dresser didn't have a conversation with Duggan about staying at 285, then there is an issue. Only logical reason for Duggan to drop was if he could beat out Shapiro. If he could beat him out, then that's a different story. Doesn't seem like a great coaching decision to let him choose to drop a weight if he was just going to be a backup there as well. Conversation should have been..."We recruited you for 285 and you are our future at that weight. Let's put on some muscle and get bigger and stronger for next year. Plus, if Gannon gets injured this year, we will need you there immediately."

I would assume most wrestlers would buy in to this. If not, then maybe there are other issues. I don't feel Anderson or Sauer would have been very successful if asked to step onto the mat as a starter.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyGold and Boxer007

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
If Dresser didn't have a conversation with Duggan about staying at 285, then there is an issue. Only logical reason for Duggan to drop was if he could beat out Shapiro. If he could beat him out, then that's a different story. Doesn't seem like a great coaching decision to let him choose to drop a weight if he was just going to be a backup there as well. Conversation should have been..."We recruited you for 285 and you are our future at that weight. Let's put on some muscle and get bigger and stronger for next year. Plus, if Gannon gets injured this year, we will need you there immediately."

I would assume most wrestlers would buy in to this. If not, then maybe there are other issues. I don't feel Anderson or Sauer would have been very successful if asked to step onto the mat as a starter.

He did drop down because he thought he could beat out Shapiro...He didn't just do it for fun

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
DeJong and Swalla I would assume. Probably easier to bump up to cover 197 then heavy for some of the guys.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

csteve - I gotta disagree with your take on this one. IF I was in the room and I was a tweener between 197 (Shaprio) & Hwt (GG). My first goal would be to become a front liner. I'd bet my chances of making the starting lineup would be better at 197 (vs Hwt). My other goal would be to become a NCAA champ. I'm hoping all of our backups have the mentality that they are going to become the next Drew Foster. IF that's the case, then they should evaluate the weight that they would perform their best at in future years (vs. where a backup might be needed today). I can't put it on the coaches if a backup wrestler wants to go to a weight that he feels will be his long-term optimal weight. I'd hope all of our backups are working towards their "optimal" weights as they look down the road. Sometimes that includes gaining weight and getting stronger. Other times that includes maintaining. I understand it's nice to have backups at every weight but even the very top teams don't have that luxury.

Keep in mind it's a different conversation if you can be a front liner and help the team at your second win today. Especially in the situation when someone at your optimal weight is better than you or already proven. It wouldn't surprise me if Degen would love to be at 157 right now but David Carr makes that decision pretty easy for him.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
The unknown is what he was recruited for. I’m under the assumption that we lay out some type of plan for each recruit. Many , myself included, thought that Duggan was recruited for heavy. If that was indeed the conversation I would want him to stay at the weight and build up his physique. He knew GG was in the room when he joined and he would have known the ideal weight the coaches wanted him to be to compete at that weight. If that wasn’t then case then I would have to back pedal a bit and agree with you CyGold. He should have the option to put himself in the best place to succeed.

Reactions: CyGold

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
The unknown is what he was recruited for. I’m under the assumption that we lay out some type of plan for each recruit. Many , myself included, thought that Duggan was recruited for heavy. If that was indeed the conversation I would want him to stay at the weight and build up his physique. He knew GG was in the room when he joined and he would have known the ideal weight the coaches wanted him to be to compete at that weight. If that wasn’t then case then I would have to back pedal a bit and agree with you CyGold. He should have the option to put himself in the best place to succeed.
I agree and was told that Duggan was indeed being recruited for 285. I know plans can change, but he has the body type to be a solid 250 and I think it would be a better weight for him.

Reactions: Isuisgood

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
csteve - I gotta disagree with your take on this one. IF I was in the room and I was a tweener between 197 (Shaprio) & Hwt (GG). My first goal would be to become a front liner. I'd bet my chances of making the starting lineup would be better at 197 (vs Hwt). My other goal would be to become a NCAA champ. I'm hoping all of our backups have the mentality that they are going to become the next Drew Foster. IF that's the case, then they should evaluate the weight that they would perform their best at in future years (vs. where a backup might be needed today). I can't put it on the coaches if a backup wrestler wants to go to a weight that he feels will be his long-term optimal weight. I'd hope all of our backups are working towards their "optimal" weights as they look down the road. Sometimes that includes gaining weight and getting stronger. Other times that includes maintaining. I understand it's nice to have backups at every weight but even the very top teams don't have that luxury.

Keep in mind it's a different conversation if you can be a front liner and help the team at your second win today. Especially in the situation when someone at your optimal weight is better than you or already proven. It wouldn't surprise me if Degen would love to be at 157 right now but David Carr makes that decision pretty easy for him.
Not much I disagree with. I would assume he had a good idea whether or not he could beat out Shapiro before dropping the weight. I also assume he would understand his future is at 285.

Reactions: CyGold

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Boone McD. He'd do well at ISU
Would love to see it, especially if Gremmel isn't returning. Boone starts his push for JuCo title today as the #1 ranked HWT. If I recall he dropped a close one to Duggan last year at Loras Open 3-2 and one to Isley this year at Harold Nichols 2-1. Would make for good competition if/when Duggan goes back up.

• Agree
Reactions: Sturge34

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Not sure where all this "if Gremmel isn't returning" is coming from. But, Boone would be a good option to compete with Duggan in 21-22

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron