Full Court (Im)Press: Restaurant Group Crushing It in Tough Times

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Speaking of FCP, any reason why they don't try opening more places outside of downtown Des Moines? One place I am just dying for someone to open up a quality bar and grill (and a brewery to go with it possibly like Barn Town is) is in Grimes where the population is growing but we're still pretty limited with our options. They just opened up a new place on 141 called Pour Choices Neighborhood Bar that serves food but apparently will not allow anyone under 21 on the premises after 2pm so already people in the area have been ranting how that sure limits their customer base when you can't bring your kids in for a meal. I get it, they probably intended to be more of a bar than a grill but judging by the reviews of their food they may be missing out on some business by not making that cutoff at a more reasonable time like 8pm.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
2 pm seems stupid to me. Why limit families for dinner? 8pm seems very reasonable to me, even 7 wouldn't be terrible.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Speaking of FCP, any reason why they don't try opening more places outside of downtown Des Moines? One place I am just dying for someone to open up a quality bar and grill (and a brewery to go with it possibly like Barn Town is) is in Grimes where the population is growing but we're still pretty limited with our options. They just opened up a new place on 141 called Pour Choices Neighborhood Bar that serves food but apparently will not allow anyone under 21 on the premises after 2pm so already people in the area have been ranting how that sure limits their customer base when you can't bring your kids in for a meal. I get it, they probably intended to be more of a bar than a grill but judging by the reviews of their food they may be missing out on some business by not making that cutoff at a more reasonable time like 8pm.

I agree that there needs to be more places in Johnston/Grimes. On the other hand, I’m more likely going to visit Pour Choices because of this rule.

Reactions: CYdTracked

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think they own it anymore but I'm pretty sure they opened Mullets.
Yes. Then Woody got involved, now its the Woodys meats name I believe, and they sold it off.

For some reason I thought Shortys might have been started by FCP. That basement has been remodeled so many times. At one point there was like a hidden wall into a wine cellar-business thing for the main level.

The old Buzzards in the Court basement was unique. Thursday nights were like $1 cans of crap beer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I agree that there needs to be more places in Johnston/Grimes. On the other hand, I’m more likely going to visit Pour Choices because of this rule.

I haven't tried it yet but will at some point. With my kids being nearly 6 and 3 in age it's not like we can just leave them at home while we go out a few hours without getting someone to come over and watch them so I see both sides of the debate people have on their no kids policy. That's why we like the Chicken Coop because mom and dad can still enjoy some adult beverages and still bring the kids for a meal. I need to try Food Depot sometime too as I know one of the owners from my HS and they just renovated recently too. I noticed after all the fuss about Pour Choices they now have a kids night on Mondays which I'm sure that was their way of trying to draw some more business from that debate over why they aren't kid friendly. Just wanting to see a few more options in that area. Kind of surprised a chain like Applebee's or even Culvers hasn't opened up around there yet. Those new areas off of 141 also get traffic from the towns north of Grimes so seems like that would be a prime place for someone to come in and fill a need.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I haven't tried it yet but will at some point. With my kids being nearly 6 and 3 in age it's not like we can just leave them at home while we go out a few hours without getting someone to come over and watch them so I see both sides of the debate people have on their no kids policy. That's why we like the Chicken Coop because mom and dad can still enjoy some adult beverages and still bring the kids for a meal. I need to try Food Depot sometime too as I know one of the owners from my HS and they just renovated recently too. I noticed after all the fuss about Pour Choices they now have a kids night on Mondays which I'm sure that was their way of trying to draw some more business from that debate over why they aren't kid friendly. Just wanting to see a few more options in that area. Kind of surprised a chain like Applebee's or even Culvers hasn't opened up around there yet. Those new areas off of 141 also get traffic from the towns north of Grimes so seems like that would be a prime place for someone to come in and fill a need.
I know them as well. Great couple. Big ISU fans.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Just a heads up that there is another place opening up right down the road called something like Warehouse Pub

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Only speaking from what I've heard Bruno say in the past, they are really not fans of suburbia. They aren't motivated by easy money so they have to be passionate about the location. They feel like they are making a difference in an urban area. Hard to have that same feeling leasing an open spot in a strip mall.

They believe in downtown and thus that is why they took the risk and started their first place there and have continued. Granted, they have expanded a bit, but still urban areas (Drake area - Fong's on Forest, The Library, and now the new place they are building in the former Crazy Horse spot).

The Fong's in Ankeny obviously is an exception, but I believe the ownership group for that is much different. I could be wrong on that, but for some reason I think that is correct (and you'll often see specials that only apply to the Fong's in Ankeny).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've only been to a few of their places but I have to tip my cap to them. When I moved to DSM in 2005 and worked downtown it was a ghost town after 5. Literally there really wasn't a place I wanted to go. Every bar downtown was a real craphole. The resurgence of downtown and the East Village is remarkable. That said I'd never pay what it costs to live there now. ha

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Yes. Then Woody got involved, now its the Woodys meats name I believe, and they sold it off.

For some reason I thought Shortys might have been started by FCP. That basement has been remodeled so many times. At one point there was like a hidden wall into a wine cellar-business thing for the main level.

The old Buzzards in the Court basement was unique. Thursday nights were like $1 cans of crap beer.

The Old Buzzard Billys on court was the best. Dark atmosphere in the basement of some old building. Then they built that nice patio and often had live music. Was a shame when it flooded. The new one just doesnt seem the same.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Only speaking from what I've heard Bruno say in the past, they are really not fans of suburbia. They aren't motivated by easy money so they have to be passionate about the location. They feel like they are making a difference in an urban area. Hard to have that same feeling leasing an open spot in a strip mall.

They believe in downtown and thus that is why they took the risk and started their first place there and have continued. Granted, they have expanded a bit, but still urban areas (Drake area - Fong's on Forest, The Library, and now the new place they are building in the former Crazy Horse spot).

The Fong's in Ankeny obviously is an exception, but I believe the ownership group for that is much different. I could be wrong on that, but for some reason I think that is correct (and you'll often see specials that only apply to the Fong's in Ankeny).

Also, when FCP got started downtown they were moving into really cheap building/spaces. That has all changed but they have had a real knack for finding bang for your buck spaces.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I used to work right next to Shorty's when it was just like being in someone's basement from the 70's. It was kind of a secret place where the guys from FCP could go and grab a beer without getting inundated. I had many great evenings sitting there and chatting with them and really made me seek out there businesses vs others in DSM. Great people with a great business model.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I used to work right next to Shorty's when it was just like being in someone's basement from the 70's. It was kind of a secret place where the guys from FCP could go and grab a beer without getting inundated. I had many great evenings sitting there and chatting with them and really made me seek out there businesses vs others in DSM. Great people with a great business model.
Yeah I used to go there all the time then too. They are atleast on their third bar layout.
Still like the first one the most, schooners of crappy beer and crock pots behind the bar.

• Informative
Reactions: cs6804 and nwiafan

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Not part of Full Court Press but didn't want to start a new thread.

Beer Can Alley is closing on Court Ave.
12 years is probably a good run for a bar but too bad they couldn't make it work in their new location. Just moved a year ago.
Court Ave needs some good news..

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Seems like Court Ave, outside of FCP places, has just become the spot for poorly run meat markets.

I guess it's probably always been that way, now that I think about it, but that Court Center building had some juice 10-15 years ago.
I'd say that time frame seemed to be its peak. The Exchange was brand new and a fun/novel concept. Jokers has always been Jokers, but you at least felt comfortable in there. Beer Can Alley was pretty new and hadn't moved upstairs yet. On top of that you had Mickeys, Legends, Johnnys, and the FCP places that were all clean (usually) and in good shape.

But last time the wife and I made it down there at night (admittedly, this was 2 years ago) it had degraded into an area the felt dirty, unsafe, and poorly maintained. Was fairly sad to experience.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron