Blum: Cyclone Rewind, 2014 Big 12 Tournament

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I remember telling myself that I was going to find a way to go to this game knowing I was going to have to pay a ton for tickets. On the day of the game, my boss tells me that one of our clients offered him two suite tickets that he wasn't going to use (he's a KU fan). I wound up driving half an hour to the other side of KC to get the tickets.

Unfortunately there were only two tickets and I needed one more to get my daughter in. We ended up paying $85 for a solo nosebleed ticket to get her in the door. Absolutely worth it!

The first 8 minutes of the game were painful to watch, but once the crowd got going, Hilton South was alive. I didn't have much of a voice the next day.

Reactions: CyBobby

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Beating KU on that Friday was awesome as well. They had crushed ISU in the Big 12 tourney semifinal the previous year (this was after the infamous Big Monday game where they called that BS foul on Niang at the end of the game, so their fans were never more hated).

Drank KC out of beer that day I can tell you.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
An event Ill never forget. That whole weekend in KC was awesome. Still remember driving home that Sunday listening to national sports talk radio hype ISU to a level I've never heard.

Unfortunately, that weekend was a large contributing factor to me wanting to jump off a bridge after Niang broke his foot.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This was one of my favorite memories. Me and 3 of my buddies got all session passes, not knowing what would be in store for the Cyclones. We were committed to staying even if the Cyclones lost. Obviously, they never did. My favorite thing about the trip was snatching up 19 extra tickets from Kansas fans as they are leaving the building for family that wanted to come to the championship game. All 3 of us maxed out our ATM withdrawals to pay for all of them. I wish I could have seen a live stream of I-35 from Ames to KC. It had to have been unbelievable.

Photo for proof.

CoachT03

Sep 9, 2012
Great memories Brent! Thank you for bringing them back! That game was incredible.

Only note I have is at the 20 minute mark you mentioned about Naz, "After redshirting and then playing very little as a freshman, he was thought of as a potential recruiting “miss” by the message board community." Naz didn't redshirt his freshman year. He had a medical reshirt his senior year though.