Wrestling Facilities at ISU

Apex

Apr 25, 2009
If I have an investment that loses $180k and I still end the year with a million dollar surplus, I’d be a happy man.
Nobody has mentioned that most the wrestlers pay full tuition and those who don't pay 2/3.
ISU probably has around 35 wrestlers paying full tution.

Last edited:

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6709030-iowa-state-facilities-tour

Flo did a Iowa State Facilities tour with Derek St John
If I was a recruit watching this video I would be excited to have these facilities at my resource. Are they the best they could be? No. Besides Ohio State, I would like to see other top programs facilities, I would guess they are similar but I don't know. I also personally like duals in Hilton too. It provides that "big stage" feel that wrestlers feed off. I think ISU's facilities are a quick and easy thing to blame when we haven't seen recruits coming in recently. I will say though, with Ohio State's push for a new facility and many programs following like Iowa, this will become a bigger problem. Have to keep up with the Joneses.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
If I was a recruit watching this video I would be excited to have these facilities at my resource. Are they the best they could be? No. Besides Ohio State, I would like to see other top programs facilities, I would guess they are similar but I don't know. I also personally like duals in Hilton too. It provides that "big stage" feel that wrestlers feed off. I think ISU's facilities are a quick and easy thing to blame when we haven't seen recruits coming in recently. I will say though, with Ohio State's push for a new facility and many programs following like Iowa, this will become a bigger problem. Have to keep up with the Joneses.
I like duals in Hilton too but imagine how big stage it would feel if we only had a couple there a year. It's great when we've got 5k or more and everybody is really into it but it feels weird in such a big space when attendance and energy are low. Would really love it if we had an olympic sports facility that seated 4-5k. Would look more full and sound would seem louder for those less attended duals.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Our hodgepodge facility definitely isn’t ranked nationally where we want our team ranked nationally. It was okay 15 years ago but not today. Also, after watching that video, I can see why we are striking out on some many recruits..

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Don’t kid yourself. The facilities aren’t impressive.

Nobody has mentioned that most the wrestlers pay full tuition and those who don't pay 2/3.
ISU probably has around 35 wrestlers paying full tution.

With 42 on the roster and 9.9 scholarships that doesn’t make sense.

Does anybody know how/if the new TV and Webcasts generates revenue for schools? We are now seeing wrestling more and more wrestling on FSN, BTN, Flowrestling and other outlets. I can't help but wonder if these create additional revenues for the Universities that we aren't including in our calculations and discussions. I've heard that the majority of College FB teams also lose money.

The additional non revenue sports revenue is minimal. A drop in the bucket. P5 football programs do not lose money when TV revenue is factored in.

Apex

Apr 25, 2009

The additional non revenue sports revenue is minimal. A drop in the bucket. P5 football programs do not lose money when TV revenue is factored in.
Well then it’s equal to around 32 paying tuition rather than 35

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Not saying they are impressive. They were adequate up to this point. NC State is in a great spot as far as recruiting in recent years and now having turned that into success. Have you seen their room and facilities? Their room has a total of 2 mats. There are many high schools in Iowa that have bigger rooms than that. They also share a weight room with numerous sports just like ISU does. They still were able to land kids. As mentioned earlier I do think improvements need to happen sooner or later if we want to be towards the top again.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

"facilities aren't that impressive" - I disagree. Nobody has said they are the best in the country but I personally our facilities are in the top 10%. There are over 70 D1 programs and I can't think of 7 schools that are more impressive than ours. I've personally, seen a few and also watched a lot of Flo wrestling when they tour other schools facilities or just show other schools training. I'd list PSU, tOSU, Iowa and Cornell as arguably above ISU right now. Plus, you get to wrestle home meets in Hilton and in front of one of the largest fan bases. Who am I missing that are more impressive?

"TV revenue is a drop in the bucket" & "P5 football programs do not loose money when TV revenue is factored in" - Your contradicting yourself here. Please sight your source that shows TV revenue as a "drop in the bucket" for wrestling. I'm genuinely curious as to how much of an effect is has. TIA

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I think that it's stupid that wrestling only has 10 scholarships...even if you can split them. I mean, there are 10 weight classes. It should be more like 15 or 20.
Well, we can agee there, but 'dems da rules' so that's what everyone is supposedly playing with.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
KJ recruited to these facilities even before the facelift. Now what he did with those recruits is another story but there is no denying he did pretty well especially considering the results.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
KJ recruited to these facilities even before the facelift. Now what he did with those recruits is another story but there is no denying he did pretty well especially considering the results.
This is a myth. KJ's last 2 recruiting classes were solid. Before that he'd get a high recruit here or there, but it was mostly dreadful.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I think the Paulsons were the solid recruiters for that staff.

They would connect with guys as they came up the ranks and coached some of the cadet and/or junior national teams. It seems to me, with those established relationships they pulled in some solid recruits.

Apex

Apr 25, 2009
Scholarships are split. We don't have 10 guys getting full rides. That would be very stupid.
That's why I said eq
Scholarships are split. We don't have 10 guys getting full rides. That would be very stupid.
That's why I said " equal to" that means equal to 32 paying tuition. That means all the partial scholarships added together are " equal to " 32 paying tuiton.

Last edited:

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
That's why I said eq

That's why I said " equal to" that means equal to 32 paying tuition. That means all the partial scholarships added together are " equal to " 32 paying tuiton.
That's a weird way to look at it, and not sure it has a point...but okay.