2019 Taxes

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If you are wanting to remove yourself from society and modern civilization,I think the UniBomber’s old cabin is vacant. He may have even left some old clothes behind for ya.
Might be an Anarchist's Cookbook copy around too. And some materials that look suspiciously like they'd explode in the correct format.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneIce

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
We filed with IA and Fed on 2/10. Got federal back in about 10 days. Assume we probably got another 20 days before IA refund, about 5-6 weeks total. Anyone gotten a 2019 IA refund quicker than that?

What is this refund you speak of? I don't think I have seen one of those in many a moon :)

• Funny
Reactions: Scott34 and aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Your first point is a false choice. You can choose to take more take home pay and invest that difference in the markets. You're not required to put it in savings account.

Anticipated credits easily be calculated ahead of time too. Do people just wake up one morning and there is a newborn baby suddenly at their doorstep?? Pleez...

There are online calculators....your Turbotax will do this for you....and you can go full bore with a CPA.

This is not an issue to draw the victim card.
Hey, if you can calculate your earned income credit at the beginning of the year more power to you.

Not a victim at all...just a CPA who actually prepares returns for a living so I actually understand the reality of tax prep.

Let's say someone gets a $2,000 refund. They would have an average balance of $1,000 for the year. A 10% return with the money in the market is still absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Basically your "free loan to the government" argument is virtually meaningless in reality. The difference is completely immaterial.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Our practice has been told to tell the clients 8-10 weeks.

The state is doing an Illinois trick, calculating how much cash is needed and then borrowing it for the refunds. Pathetic.

In fairness, it took Iowa 12 months to notify me of an audit that was automatically triggered. Apparently not a bunch of speed demons on payroll.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
My federal took 4 business days. Fastest I've ever received them back.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
In fairness, it took Iowa 12 months to notify me of an audit that was automatically triggered. Apparently not a bunch of speed demons on payroll.
I'd be so ******. I am so bad at filing/organizing my documents

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
A lot of people seem to enjoy loaning their hard earned dollars, interest free, to the gov't...and then get annoyed when they don't pay it back fast enough.

Full disclosure - we over-withhold each year, so get refunds. I"m too lazy to take the time to figure out the proper w/h amt. That said, I'm not going to ***** about timing given I could take the effort, if I wanted to, to adjust my withholding down so I didn't have to rely on the gov't to send it back to me on an arbitrary time table that I feel is appropriate.

That's on me.

That's nice that you'd be able to adjust your withholding and balance it out if you wanted to, but that's not true for everyone: completely impractical exercise if your federal return is more than a handful of pages

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Hey, if you can calculate your earned income credit at the beginning of the year more power to you.

Not a victim at all...just a CPA who actually prepares returns for a living so I actually understand the reality of tax prep.

Let's say someone gets a $2,000 refund. They would have an average balance of $1,000 for the year. A 10% return with the money in the market is still absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Basically your "free loan to the government" argument is virtually meaningless in reality. The difference is completely immaterial.

I will grant your professional credentials trump mine specifically towards taxation knowledge as I am not a CPA.

That said, I have done tax prep professionally in the past as a side job. Also, I’ve been working in the financial services industry for 26 + yrs.….mainly on the compliance/tax side of the enterprise so this isn’t exactly my first rodeo.

Your comment does cause me to ask questions that maybe you can enlighten on.

* if someone is able to qualify for Earn Income Tax Credit – why would they be paying for a CPA to do their taxes? I can’t imagine their taxes being complex given their modest income and thus, a lot of software companies provide prep for free. There are also volunteers who do taxes for individual of modest means too.

* why would you use the Earn Income Tax Credit as an example on this forum. Is that realistically relevant to the likely posters on this thread? If you think so, based on your experience what percentage of CF poster do you really think qualify and thus it makes that example even relevant to the discussion?

* I don’t think it is unfair to suggest that a portion of your livelihood is somewhat dependent on the unnecessarily complex process it takes for people to file their taxes. Caveat: with my background, I always push individuals with complex tax situations to a CPA (not just a tax preparer ) to get their taxes done correctly, so I am far from anti-CPA prepared taxes guy. I just bristle a bit that you pull the Earn Income Tax Credit, of all things, to try and make your point when you are probably speaking to college students and college grads that will never see this anyway. Can you provide a more solid (realistic?) example to the discussion that might be more relevant to the actual audience?

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
That's nice that you'd be able to adjust your withholding and balance it out if you wanted to, but that's not true for everyone: completely impractical exercise if your federal return is more than a handful of pages

It really isn't that difficult...unless maybe you are a contract worker or a small business owner....or maybe a day trader .

That is not the majority of people on this thread. This isn't rocket science.

• Agree

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I will grant your professional credentials trump mine specifically towards taxation knowledge as I am not a CPA.

That said, I have done tax prep professionally in the past as a side job. Also, I’ve been working in the financial services industry for 26 + yrs.….mainly on the compliance/tax side of the enterprise so this isn’t exactly my first rodeo.

Your comment does cause me to ask questions that maybe you can enlighten on.

* if someone is able to qualify for Earn Income Tax Credit – why would they be paying for a CPA to do their taxes? I can’t imagine their taxes being complex given their modest income and thus, a lot of software companies provide prep for free. There are also volunteers who do taxes for individual of modest means too.

* why would you use the Earn Income Tax Credit as an example on this forum. Is that realistically relevant to the likely posters on this thread? If you think so, based on your experience what percentage of CF poster do you really think qualify and thus it makes that example even relevant to the discussion?

* I don’t think it is unfair to suggest that a portion of your livelihood is somewhat dependent on the unnecessarily complex process it takes for people to file their taxes. Caveat: with my background, I always push individuals with complex tax situations to a CPA (not just a tax preparer ) to get their taxes done correctly, so I am far from anti-CPA prepared taxes guy. I just bristle a bit that you pull the Earn Income Tax Credit, of all things, to try and make your point when you are probably speaking to college students and college grads that will never see this anyway. Can you provide a more solid (realistic?) example to the discussion that might be more relevant to the actual audience?
I think you would be shocked by the number of people getting EITC...especially in Central Iowa where there are a LOT of people who don't get paid what I would consider a living wage. Why do CPAs do their returns? Because in a lot of smaller towns that's the option available.

I also think you grossly overestimate the ability of the average person to figure out their taxable income. Or to know they may get $2,000 per child. Or to know what qualifies for American Opportunity Credit. How much student loan interest is deductible and when does it phase out? What numbers from my 1098 need to go on Schedule A?

A MFJ return with a pair of W2s, student loan interest, a minor child, a college age child, home mortgage, bank interest, and HSA distributions is 15 minutes of my time potentially. My parents do their own taxes and would blow an afternoon doing that...and not know if they did it right. I can change the oil in my truck and it'll take me 2 hours or I drive to QuickLane and it's 10 minutes.

Also, with the new W-4 form (which sucks but not nearly as much as the new 1040) there isn't really a way to manipulate your withholdings. Exemptions don't exist anymore so you can't just put Married and 4 to have less withheld.

I don't know that I'd say it's unnecessarily complex. Most people have very simple taxes. In general that keeps H&R and Intuit in business. True CPA firms make their money on business taxes and services. They do individual tax work because they have to....not because it's a great money maker.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It really isn't that difficult...unless maybe you are a contract worker or a small business owner....or maybe a day trader .

That is not the majority of people on this thread. This isn't rocket science.
YTD Pay stub:

$50,000 Salary
$2,000 FSA
$2,000 HSA
$2,000 ROTH
$2,000 Trad 401k
$2,000 health insurance
$100 dental insurance
$100 vision insurance
$4,000 employer health insurance
$50 Life insurance
$50 AD&D
$100 Short term disability
$50 Long term disability
$50 cancer insurance
$4,000 expense reimbursements
$3,000 social security
$1,000 Medicare
$10,000 federal withholding
$2,000 state withholding

Those are all extremely common items on pay stubs. Super easy to figure out the taxable income.

• Funny

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron