[DECOMMIT] 2021 QB Charles Wright

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
He has his entire Sr Season ahead of him so there is always a chance.
I guess I meant how likely is he to get offered by Texas schools and if he does would it be a fair assumption that he is gone?
Are Texas- San Antonio, Texas State and North Texas not in Texas?
Yes they are. I guess I wasn’t clear enough cause I am not concerned about those schools. I am obviously talking about Big 12 Texas schools. Or maybe I am just not picking up your sarcasm good enough.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
OK we need a standard for commitment watch, by that statement that is like half the class right now. Commitment Watch should mean imminent, like today or next few days.
What if we know it's coming?

This kid looks ok on tape but I dunno about P5 good. Reminds me of Dom DeLira. Signing a QB might screw us out of potentially landing Ty Thompson now, who is warm to ISU, Iowa and I think Oregon. I wish the staff would have waited to see where Thompson was gonna go before anything else.
Even though we are in Ty Thompson's top 5, it's always important to lock down a guy you like if you can. Thompson's favorite is likely Oregon, and the feeling is mutual. My guess is he is likely a Duck.

ISU will likely continue to recruit him and he will definitely take the QB spot if he wants it, but Wright is definitely a solid fallback choice. I'm excited.

Reactions: aauummm

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
This kid looks ok on tape but I dunno about P5 good. Reminds me of Dom DeLira. Signing a QB might screw us out of potentially landing Ty Thompson now, who is warm to ISU, Iowa and I think Oregon. I wish the staff would have waited to see where Thompson was gonna go before anything else.

My first thought as well, but in Campbell we trust. Guy has been lightning in a bottle

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
not a super exciting signing but this kid looks decent and this staff obviously knows what they're doing. The thing to think about is, Wright (or any QB recruit really) likely wouldn't be expected to see the field here for 2-3 years minimum, probably more than that. The staff will have plenty of time to develop him.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I'd think the staff would want the best possible options when Brock moves on.

As for Thompson, I doubt adding a 3 star deters his decision. His ranking is near elite level. The ability to complete for the spot when Brock vacates should be the real factor.

Wright looks solid and the type of depth we need. Especially if Purdy were to consider early entry into the draft next season.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
#29 Pro QB and #831 overall prospect. Whereas Brock Purdy was #36 Pro QB and #839 overall prospect. So, as some have intimated, why did we even bother?

• Creative
  • Winner
Reactions: Aclone and HARMCYN

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
#29 Pro QB and #831 overall prospect. Whereas Brock Purdy was #36 Pro QB and #839 overall prospect. So, as some have intimated, why did we even bother?

Hoping for a late bloom on Mr Wright and wouldn't mind a Texas A&M or Boise State offer, similar to Purdy to validate this commit. In CMC we trust

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Any QB in this class is gonna sit behind a really good QB for 3 years, whether that's Dekkers or Bouman, so I don't see anything to get too worked up about. Best case scenario, he's a quality back up that can make spot starts if needed and maybe whoop some Texas butt when he plays his home town horns. Worst case, he isn't happy being the back up for 3 years and transfers out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Any QB in this class is gonna sit behind a really good QB for 3 years, whether that's Dekkers or Bouman, so I don't see anything to get too worked up about. Best case scenario, he's a quality back up that can make spot starts if needed and maybe whoop some Texas butt when he plays his home town horns. Worst case, he isn't happy being the back up for 3 years and transfers out.

Any??? Why do you assume Thompson couldn't be Purdy's replacement if he were to commit to the good guys?

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Any??? Why do you assume Thompson couldn't be Purdy's replacement if he were to commit to the good guys?
Well not any, I suppose. But any that would seriously consider us probably. I don't have much to go by except ratings at this point. Bouman certainly looks better on film.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We are officially in commitment watch for QB Charles Wright. All signs are pointing that he will be the QB for this class.

Hudl:

It looks like he has a quick release. He's played against some very good competition as well.

Write-up from 247:

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake has trained new Iowa State quarterback commit Charles Wright since the eighth grade and raves about the Austin (Texas) High standout.

“I really feel like if Charles was at a school that was a state contender, he’d have 30 offers,” Blake stated.

With that, no doubt Cyclones head coach Matt Campbell and his staff are happy that the 6-foot-1, 194-pound Wright had just four opportunities and chose them on Thursday over opportunities from North Texas, UTSA and Texas State.

Perhaps Wright will evolve into one of the bigger steals at quarterback in this 2021 class. Campbell and company had Wright and camp and have been pushing for him since the summer. After several visits to Ames, they now have him in the fold.

Wright is commit No. 4 for Iowa State in this 2021 class. Over the last two seasons he’s thrown for 5,372 yards and 53 touchdowns with another eight rushing scores playing against some of those state contenders Blake alluded too like Westlake and Lake Travis.

“Very strong, very athletic, got a strong arm but yet still can throw the catchable ball and not the hard heavy ball,” Blake explained. “Has good anticipation on his balls, knows when the pocket is getting tight, he fights to stay in the pocket, he moves, he doesn’t just take off and run, that allows him to hit the secondary and third receiver.”

247Sports tabs Wright as the nation’s No. 29 pro-style passer.

“He’s a hard worker,” Blake continued. “He wants it. He trains all the time, we work together all the time. I kind of saw early in him, when I first saw him play, a lot of kids can throw, but a lot of kids can’t play. It’s a difference. It’s one thing to be able to throw the football and another to be able to play the game. I saw him take over his freshman year and he was balling with them. I was like this kid is going to be pretty good and over the years he’s been improving his athleticism and accuracy, his release is very quick and his IQ is very high.”

Blake loves the fact Wright chose Iowa State as well.

“The coaching staff wants him,” he said. “They want him and they’ve been on him for a while. I had a good talk with him and it’s one thing to perceive things but it’s another thing to go play for someone who wants you. The ultimate goal is can you make it to the league, and if I can do that from East Carolina you can do that from Iowa State.”

Wright plays his high school football for former Notre Dame offensive lineman Mike Rosenthal.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Sorry, I read this as Wright not as Thompson. If Thompson commits, then yes, I think he could compete with Dekkers and Bouman

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Sorry, I read this as Wright not as Thompson. If Thompson commits, then yes, I think he could compete with Dekkers and Bouman

Personally I think Purdy sticks around for his Senior year, either way I think this class will have 2 QBs. Need bodies in the room.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron