Game Changers Film

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006
Has anyone seen this? I watched it on Netflix last night and I'm not gonna lie, it was compelling. I Googled some opposing views today, so I know they are out there. But how can you argue with FDNY firefighters dropping their bad cholesterol by close to 100 points in 7 days?!? Thoughts?

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
Watched it around the first of the year. Decided to go plant based until my next physical on March 30. The main reason I wanted to do this was for the anti-inflammatory issues and better muscle recovery from workouts due to improved vascular function. I’ve had a number of ortho surgeries on my knees and hands, and after overuse the pain was horrible (dr said likely arthritis). Was popping ibuprofen like chiclets. So far, so good, no inflammation issues and my muscle soreness after workouts has decreased. Visually I think I’ve lost some muscle mass as I’m not getting as much protein as I used to, but my strength is not noticeably weaker. Gonna stay with it til that next physical to see how the bloodwork compares with my previous one. Don’t think I want to do this for the rest of my life, but could be a healthy alternative in smaller doses as opposed to popping ibuprofen.

Reactions: Raymeus

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Has anyone seen this? I watched it on Netflix last night and I'm not gonna lie, it was compelling. I Googled some opposing views today, so I know they are out there. But how can you argue with FDNY firefighters dropping their bad cholesterol by close to 100 points in 7 days?!? Thoughts?

I haven't watched yet but need to. There are two podcasts with Rogan on it. One is Chris Kresser (might not be quite the right last name) who has done a lot of the critiqueing and one has the same guy with James Wilks. They're interesting but the issue is that both guys deal with half truths in the sense that they compare a modern American Diet with their selected for of nutrition and either one will be a lot better. I think you can be vegan and healthy. I think it takes a lot of work and an incredibly high level of knowledge to be as healthy as someone eating a healthy, whole foods, omnivorous diet. Where Wilks looses me is when he cites research and inflames the actual data to show meat is bad. Lean meats are not bad and they will not give you high cholesterol on their own.

Diet studies are so ******* hard because of other variables. For instance, if someone cares so much as to avoid meat, I'm guessing they also care enough to exercise more, not eat a bunch of candy, etc. There are so many variables to consider and cut out of studies so saying the average vegan is healthier may be true, but it's not necessarily meaningful. I bet a carnivorous diet give a lot of the same health benefits as well.

Reactions: wxman1 and Raymeus

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Watched it around the first of the year. Decided to go plant based until my next physical on March 30. The main reason I wanted to do this was for the anti-inflammatory issues and better muscle recovery from workouts due to improved vascular function. I’ve had a number of ortho surgeries on my knees and hands, and after overuse the pain was horrible (dr said likely arthritis). Was popping ibuprofen like chiclets. So far, so good, no inflammation issues and my muscle soreness after workouts has decreased. Visually I think I’ve lost some muscle mass as I’m not getting as much protein as I used to, but my strength is not noticeably weaker. Gonna stay with it til that next physical to see how the bloodwork compares with my previous one. Don’t think I want to do this for the rest of my life, but could be a healthy alternative in smaller doses as opposed to popping ibuprofen.

I think that's a great fit. Protein is harder to come by but that's easy to navigate. Critics of the doc will talk about the type of protein you are getting and how efficient it is. I'm not sure on that as there's a lot of data that shows that if you are getting the minimum amount of protein, which you probably are, it doesn't matter what type. I haven't been able to figure out which side is really correct here which leads me to believe it doesn't matter all that much. It is undeniable that animals do jobs for us when they digest food that makes some things much easier for us to use by eating them.

Reactions: Raymeus

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
I haven't watched yet but need to. There are two podcasts with Rogan on it. One is Chris Kresser (might not be quite the right last name) who has done a lot of the critiqueing and one has the same guy with James Wilks. They're interesting but the issue is that both guys deal with half truths in the sense that they compare a modern American Diet with their selected for of nutrition and either one will be a lot better. I think you can be vegan and healthy. I think it takes a lot of work and an incredibly high level of knowledge to be as healthy as someone eating a healthy, whole foods, omnivorous diet. Where Wilks looses me is when he cites research and inflames the actual data to show meat is bad. Lean meats are not bad and they will not give you high cholesterol on their own.

Diet studies are so ******* hard because of other variables. For instance, if someone cares so much as to avoid meat, I'm guessing they also care enough to exercise more, not eat a bunch of candy, etc. There are so many variables to consider and cut out of studies so saying the average vegan is healthier may be true, but it's not necessarily meaningful. I bet a carnivorous diet give a lot of the same health benefits as well.

I agree with the above. I try something different nutritionally around the first of each year and do my own science test to see what works and what doesn’t. I’ve noticed that my energy during and after workouts at the end of the week is different than earlier in the week. The variable is likely sleep or diet (or both), or the frequency and intensity of my activity. Every body is different, I just try t see what works for me.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I haven't watched this yet, but about 2.5 years ago I watched "What the Health" on Netflix which has a similar idea. It was part of the reason for going plant-based myself and I've been on it ever since. I have no regrets about it. I was pretty healthy before but I do feel better now.

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
I think that's a great fit. Protein is harder to come by but that's easy to navigate. Critics of the doc will talk about the type of protein you are getting and how efficient it is. I'm not sure on that as there's a lot of data that shows that if you are getting the minimum amount of protein, which you probably are, it doesn't matter what type. I haven't been able to figure out which side is really correct here which leads me to believe it doesn't matter all that much. It is undeniable that animals do jobs for us when they digest food that makes some things much easier for us to use by eating them.

I’m at about 100 grams of protein per day. My previous most successful (and sustainable) nutrition program had me about double that with a large portion of it coming from whey protein supplements twice a day along with three meals that focused on mainly two proteins to one carb. Seemed to work well until I got lax with the carbs and started gaining fat instead of lean muscle. It’s tough!

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
I haven't watched this yet, but about 2.5 years ago I watched "What the Health" on Netflix which has a similar idea. It was part of the reason for going plant-based myself and I've been on it ever since. I have no regrets about it. I was pretty healthy before but I do feel better now.
Saw What the Health as well. Seemed to have a lot of the same info.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

This is where I'm at with some of these discussions, including the debates with the guys on Rogan. My bad analogy is they are basically both hitting the bullseye in terms of healthy diets and are debating who's closest to the center of the bullseye. Meanwhile, it's not all that relevant to a vast majority of Americans, because we're not even hitting the ******* target.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Yes, it is well done, but it has since been heavily refuted.

Yes, if you come from a SAD (Standard American Diet) to something more restrictive, you drop all the crap we were never exposed to putting in our bodies as human species evolved over thousands of years and yes, you'll have positive results...at least initially.

The problem: we evolved over thousands of years relying heavily (and in some races/cultures...especially in colder climates) , almost exclusively on fatty meats.

This is why vegans need to use supplements to try and maintain their health and carnivores (generally) do not. Red meat is the most nutrient dense food source on the planet. No one disputes that. We all learned this in 7th grade health class.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pl...merons-140-million-drive-create-vegan-protein

James Cameron has 140 million reasons to make the film really compelling, which could be why there is a bunch of half truths in it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...p29067926/the-game-changers-movie-fact-check/

....and he looks terrible if you've seen recent pictures/video. . He is not aging well which should send up red flags to anyone looking into this as a way to eat.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011