Are we being to harsh

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The 14/15 team underachieved far more than the 18/19 team did. The 14/15 team was a top 10 team, got a 3 seed, and lost to a FAR worse team in UAB. Even though that's a fact, Prohm received far more criticism.

You’re just accepting mediocrity

that’s my favorite. 11 got there. I was worried we wouldn’t see it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Well, looks like you hit all the talking points. Do you know the difference between a successful season and an underachieving season here at ISU....................2 wins. That's it. The 14/15 team went 25-9. The 18/19 squad went 23-12. They both had a loaded rosters. They both won the big 12 tourney and both were ousted in the first game of the NCAA. Yet those who want Prohms head think that overall the 14/15 season was a success while 18/19 was underwhelming. Hmmm...........

Is it okay if I think both of those seasons were disappointing? Not bad seasons by any means but definitely ended earlier than they should have. Last season's "struggles" are exaggerated because of the season that preceded it. The two seasons really aren't comparable.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The 14/15 team underachieved far more than the 18/19 team did. The 14/15 team was a top 10 team, got a 3 seed, and lost to a FAR worse team in UAB. Even though that's a fact, Prohm received far more criticism.

Had Fred been coming off of a sub .500 season and followed it up with that, he would have received much more criticism and rightfully so. If he had come back and been below .500 the following year, it would be the same stuff we're seeing now with Steve. Totally different situations.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Had Fred been coming off of a sub .500 season and followed it up with that, he would have received much more criticism and rightfully so. If he had come back and been below .500 the following year, it would be the same stuff we're seeing now with Steve. Totally different situations.
That right there is a fair argument. But there are plenty of people not arguing that point. They're saying last year's season we underachieved and we shouldn't "settle" for losing in the first round of the tournament.

Reactions: heitclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’d have a lot more faith in Prohm if he didn’t consistently struggle to figure out the best lineup combinations to put on the court. He struggles more than any ISU coach I can remember. It’s been an issue even in our good years.

This is such a lazy take though. This year and 2 years ago we flat out didn't have the horses. There isn't a magic roster like some of you believe.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Is it okay if I think both of those seasons were disappointing? Not bad seasons by any means but definitely ended earlier than they should have. Last season's "struggles" are exaggerated because of the season that preceded it. The two seasons really aren't comparable.

Whoa...........that's a different spin. No, if 13/14 would have been a sub .500 season and then the 14/15 season unfolded like it did.......I am fairly certain that nothing that happened in 14/15 season(UAB) would have been exaggerated by 13/14 season.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think almost all of us agree that Prohm is on the hot seat for next year - some of us, including me, took longer than others to get to that point, but he's clearly there. But, please, please, please, please... set aside the utopia that some have created that Fred's teams were flawless and the program was headed to "Duke" status if he'd only stayed. Fred did great things here. He may have done even greater things; things may have tailed off a bit (surely not a lot, but you never know, e.g,. LE's teams sure tailed off after the Elite 8); we'll never know... we'll never know. His last game was the UAB game - that alone refutes much of the insanity some of you continually raise about Prohm.

Things can turn around quickly. Maybe they will next year; maybe they won't. It will work itself out. Go Cyclones.

It's not what a lot of you want to hear but I don't think Prohm seat is even warm going into next year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

What makes the UAB loss even worse is that it's not like we ran into a team that found lightning in a bottle for one game. They literally played just as sh!tty as we did and still beat us.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I definitely think some posters are being too harsh on Prohm and the team.

The problems I've had with Prohm are things that seemingly aren't going to change though. They haven't in his years here. They come from my experience being a basketball junkie, observing the game my entire life, playing high school and small college basketball, and just general human psychology / motivational tactics and experience. That said, I'm not inside that locker room, so I feel like I need to give Prohm the benefit of the doubt and I'm not qualified to conclude some of the things some of you on here have concluded.

All that said, even though I'm disappointed Prohm doesn't have the same managerial style and attract the same type of talent Hoiberg was attracting (keep in mind for those who are going to claim Prohm is a great recruiter and has attracted the same type of talent, Hoiberg inherited a horrible program and still brought-in Niang, Morris, Royce White, Long, Matt Thomas, Nader, Burton, Will Clyburn, Chris Allen, Tyrus McGee (like 10+ pros in 5 years), while Prohm inherited Hoiberg's great players, which are the only ones Prohm has been to the Sweet Sixteen with, and seems to have brought-in about 4 or 5 pros in that same time period on aggregate, Shayok, Wigginton, Halliburton, Talen-Horton Tucker and maybe you can add NWB to that group), I am not going to conclude at this point that we can do better than Prohm and therefore he needs to be fired. We have to be realistic / practical. His contract is massive and ISU is on the hook for several more years. Plus, he has some more good recruits coming in this next year. The fact that so many fans jumped off the bandwagon so quickly is a poor reflection on our University. The grass isn't always greener and I truly think Hoiberg was a special pick-up for ISU (one of a kind); it may have been the golden age of ISU basketball sadly (as much as all of us want even more and to finally get to that Final Four) and if Prohm can get us to the Tournament every 3 out of 5 years, make the Sweet 16 in one of those years, well then maybe we should accept that given our historical success / averages?

Give him another year to see how this all shakes out before completely jumping off the rails. I think you have to outwardly support the team and fans and then in private voice your displeasure. I'm concerned as well, but I have lots of concerns with other coaches and see errors in judgment all the time when watching games. It's easier to be the arm chair coach. I don't know if we're going to find better.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

Very different seasons and differing perspectives of disappointment.

The 14/15 team finished 2nd in the Big 12, one game behind Kansas. The 18/19 team lost 6 of their last 8 games of the regular season.

Both teams first round exit in the NCAA tournament is about the only similarity between the two seasons.

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is such a lazy take though. This year and 2 years ago we flat out didn't have the horses. There isn't a magic roster like some of you believe.
Yeah we're not bad this year because Prohm doesn't know how to handle this roster or doesn't know the right combinations. Prohm doesn't know how to handle this roster and doesn't know the right combinations BECAUSE we're a bad team. It's still on Prohm because this is his team at the end of the day and these are his players, but assuming this team SHOULD be better than they are is crazy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What makes the UAB loss even worse is that it's not like we ran into a team that found lightning in a bottle for one game. They literally played just as sh!tty as we did and still beat us.
We played horrific in that game. Probably the worst we had played all year. Sure there were some locker room issues, and other stuff going on regarding Fred having his foot out the door, but we just played bad.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's not what a lot of you want to hear but I don't think Prohm seat is even warm going into next year.

All Jamie is looking for is some optimism, and realistic hope, to be generated next year.

obviously prohm will get a chance to correct what went off the rails this year. If he can show improvement then he will continue on as coach at Iowa State.

the reality is that the perceptions of the Iowa State basketball program, and those of Steve Prohm, are a lot ******* different than the crewes.

Jamie knows this, and he has to hire the next guy too.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We played horrific in that game. Probably the worst we had played all year. Sure there were some locker room issues, and other stuff going on regarding Fred having his foot out the door, but we just played bad.

That team should have lost to OU at home. Then been out the first round of the big 12, or at least lost to Oklahoma for sure.

They were dancing through minefields for at least a couple weeks before the season ended. the kids knew fred had his health scare, and was actively trying to leave for the third year in a row. There was a lot of tension in the locker room with personalities.

but uab was dog **** bad. Our guys had no desire to be there. It was an all timer.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That team should have lost to OU at home. Then been out the first round of the big 12, or at least lost to Oklahoma for sure.

They were dancing through minefields for at least a couple weeks before the season ended. the kids knew fred had his health scare, and was actively trying to leave for the third year in a row. There was a lot of tension in the locker room with personalities.

but uab was dog **** bad. Our guys had no desire to be there. It was an all timer.
Our guys had desire to be there, but they thought they could just waltz through that game, which cannot happen and is the reason why good teams lose to bad teams every single year in the tournament. They don't take their opponent seriously and they get beat and end up on One Shining Moment.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That right there is a fair argument. But there are plenty of people not arguing that point. They're saying last year's season we underachieved and we shouldn't "settle" for losing in the first round of the tournament.

At least for me, that's not what I'm saying at all. Losing in the first round of the tournament with that roster was the cherry on top of a disappointing season. Prohm's roster management, in game coaching in many close loses, losing at home, and finishing 9-9 in conference with the amount of talent on that team COMBINED with the results this year have me worried (close to being convinced) that Prohm isn't the guy to lead this program to the next level. Those types of coaching like Beard and others don't take 5-7 years to figure it out, especially if they inherited the state of a program like Prohm did.

I've not once said we should fire Steve Prohm after this year. I'm saying I have major doubts that he's the right guy. Big difference. But, to me, the data is fairly obvious. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be a decent chunk of money that I'm not.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
At least for me, that's not what I'm saying at all. Losing in the first round of the tournament with that roster was the cherry on top of a disappointing season. Prohm's roster management, in game coaching in many close loses, losing at home, and finishing 9-9 in conference with the amount of talent on that team COMBINED with the results this year have me worried (close to being convinced) that Prohm isn't the guy to lead this program to the next level. Those types of coaching like Beard and others don't take 5-7 years to figure it out, especially if they inherited the state of a program like Prohm did.

I've not once said we should fire Steve Prohm after this year. I'm saying I have major doubts that he's the right guy. Big difference. But, to me, the data is fairly obvious. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be a decent chunk of money that I'm not.
And those are fine opinions.. And I'd counter that by saying Prohm and the team won quite a few games last year in close fashion as well.. They didn't lose all the close games. Last year's team had talent, there's no doubt about that, but the entire starting 5 was playing it's first year together. Wigginton got hurt which through a wrench into the starting 5. Lard was constantly getting into trouble which didn't help with roster management.

And the "Coach's like Chris Beard" argument is a little drastic don't you think? The man was coaching in the national title last year and could be one of the best coaches in the nation. Every coach takes a different amount of time to figure out their style, recruiting, etc. It can take years to figure out the correct formula and even then, it only takes one bad game to knock you out of the tournament and make it look like the season wasn't as good as it really was.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron