Twister Sister Summary - the slide continues

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What a difference a week makes. Last week I looked at the schedule AND how the sisters were playing and predicted that perhaps they would end the season in 3rd place and only one more loss. Well...three losses later we are seeing a team come apart at the seams. The loss to TCU was one many predicted could happen and it did. But then came Texas Tech and the ladies were dominated in every quarter but one. Yes, some might say the last second foul on a three pointer was bogus, but the ladies put themselves in that precarious position by playing spotty defense for the entire game. Then came tonight against a very poor K-State team. A Mildcat squad with a 50/50 record. A team ISU had kicked the thunder out of at home. Yes, Scott left the game with an injury, but ISU can’t go seven minutes in a quarter without a score. SIX points in the second. Yes...S****I****X points. KState dominated every single stat and held the sisters to 32% shooting (which went up a long ways in the second half) and we missed 5 of 13 free throws to boot.

Would or could Scott have made a difference? Possibly. Yet she left the game having gone 0- from the field. I’ll never discount her contribution to this team as she is an all star. But nearly the entire team (outside of Joens and Rae) stunk it up on offense. The team has played itself out of that third place and probably fourth place finish. KState and ISU have similar schedules left. An almost certain loss to Baylor and KU for both and one mid level team. KState is trending up and ISU is flatlining.

is there hope? I’m sure a positive report on Scott would be the best news we can get. Without her and with Wise still not showing any signs of offense the team will be challenged in every game left on the schedule. It’s gut check time.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Weird season to predict/follow. I was thinking 9-9ish* before Big 12 with Scott hurt and Wise out. Maybe thought better later the way Joens played in NC. Was NOT thinking Joens would be a first-teamer. Got more optimistic for a classic Fennelly 2nd half Big 12 run after Johnson came back and wasn't out for an extended injury absence. Also Camber showed some life for a while and we had some balanced scoring. We also had some good defensive efforts. A little run there that you mention had me thinking maybe better than 9-9 with the weak league. Than a couple cold games where threes didn't makeup for the 20 TO's and we spiraled. Now with Scott hurt (holding out she is okay) the finish is in question and maybe NCAA's to.

Maybe the league being weaker than I thought (and I was pessimistic on it's strength from the get-go) and our better play go hand in hand.

* Not sure we posted predictions but think that's where I was at.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Funny how people can watch the same game and have a different opinion. I look at the box score, Kristen played 9 min. took 4 shots before she was undedrcut and was hurt. AD last night went 1-7 and KU players were in her face whenever she got the ball, teams know if you lay back she can kill you with a three. MEM only had 5, again KU defense was on her big time. Madison is still not back to scoring as she was 0-2. Ines and Morgan combined for 14 points. Ashley was clobbered when she went in the lane and the two bigs made it tough on her. I felt this was a game we could win if we played a complete team game but when you lose a key part in the first 9 min. it is tough. She was avg. 16+ points a game last 5 games. If you heard the post game interview with Rae you know it hurt when she was asked about losing Kristin. My hope she is not out for the rest of the season and we can finish strong.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is maybe a tinge over-dramatic, don't you think? I'd say they are still firmly on the bubble and the next few games will tell the tale.

We are likely back on the bubble. We have three games to play ourselves in or play ourselves out. I don't put much stock in the league tournament influencing NCAA picks/seeding unless both ISU/KSU are on the bubble and we play each other or something. Working in our favor, if we play well, is that the entire NCAA field is weak IMHO. A lot will hinge on Scott's injury. If she is out than someone(s) needs to step up BIG.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m not sure we saw the game differently, but my point is that we could’ve won the game if other players had stepped up. If camber is being guarded tightly then she has to move more or we have to set picks to free her up. We all know that we can’t depend on fouls being called consistently in our league. Yes losing Scott hurt, but we have the players and skills to win regardless. It just didn’t happen. Having a 6 point quarter and missing too many free throws will kill you every time.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Hasn't ISU recruited well the last few years? I know the incoming class is pretty darn good. How has recruiting been compared to the rest of the Big 12? I feel like over the years ISU has been smaller (height and weight) than most opponents when it comes to inside presence.
I'll admit that I've not seen a whole lot of games this season.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Hasn't ISU recruited well the last few years? I know the incoming class is pretty darn good. How has recruiting been compared to the rest of the Big 12? I feel like over the years ISU has been smaller (height and weight) than most opponents when it comes to inside presence.
I'll admit that I've not seen a whole lot of games this season.

I think recruiting overall has been outstanding the last couple of years. The one piece that has been missing is that dominant post. Yes, Scott is a forward/post, but she's not like the one's we've had in the past that have the "big" physical presence.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I will never ever doubt the level of effort the players are putting in whether its a 20 point win or a blowout loss. Sometimes things just don't go right. This game was winnable by any measuring stick and several key factors went against the women. First is horrid shooting by the bulk of the team. KSU played good defense, but against a static offense it becomes easier. The best games we've seen from our squad is when there is constant movement, slashing the lane and making assists. Losing Scott was a big loss, but not a terminal one. She brings a lot to every facet of the game, but during the 1+ quarter she was in her offense wasn't clicking either. Finally, the combination of turnovers (a given for this year's squad) and getting back on defense were killers. I think all of these things creep into the head and lead to the missed free throws. When you lose a player it has to be next "man" up.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I've been a fan and have watched ISU WBB for well over 20 years. From my perspective the turnover ratio for this team is not appreciably different from many (not all) of ISU WBB teams in past years under CBF. To imply that this years team is unique for turnovers is just simply turning a blind eye to past years.

ICYMI, KSU also had 16 TOs in the game.
Agreed. Even the best teams from the late 90s/early 2000s had pretty high turnover rates. This year is more or less on pace to match those numbers.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Agreed. Even the best teams from the late 90s/early 2000s had pretty high turnover rates. This year is more or less on pace to match those numbers.

That’s not entirely true. The 97-98 team averaged 8, the 98-99 team averaged 9 per game and the 99-00 team averaged ten. The number skyrocketed in 00-01 to 15 and 18 in 01-02 (8 steals per game). After that for several years the team averaged about 14 turnovers to 6 steals per game. This year the team is averaging about 18 and 6. This year is well above the average.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That’s not entirely true. The 97-98 team averaged 8, the 98-99 team averaged 9 per game and the 99-00 team averaged ten. The number skyrocketed in 00-01 to 15 and 18 in 01-02 (8 steals per game). After that for several years the team averaged about 14 turnovers to 6 steals per game. This year the team is averaging about 18 and 6. This year is well above the average.
According to Cyclones.com, the 97-98 team averaged 19 turnovers per game, the 98-99 team averaged 17.3, and the 99-00 team 17.6. Those teams turned the ball over a LOT, but they were still able to win because there were five scorers on the floor most of those games.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
According to Cyclones.com, the 97-98 team averaged 19 turnovers per game, the 98-99 team averaged 17.3, and the 99-00 team 17.6. Those teams turned the ball over a LOT, but they were still able to win because there were five scorers on the floor most of those games.

Where the "shoot it before you turn it over" phrase originated. ;)

At our current 17.1 we aren't THAT much off the league median of 16.1. We are dead last in opponent turnovers though at 13.8. Our stats are slightly worse in league play, about the same in turning it over, little worse in opponent turnovers. But that's our style, dead last in steals where we usually are. Guessing we would be sitting with the least fouls per game also but not willing to dig that much for that since Big 12 doesn't list that but does show we have given up the least free throws. It's all been our style for 25 years.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and Buster28

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

my mistake. I was misreading the stat line.