COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think you are misremembering a bit about Naz..
If we're only looking at his freshman year I thought Naz was going to get recruited over and I'd be surprised if anyone pointed at him and said "yep, there's an all time fan favorite in the making with multiple memorable moments right there" at that point in time. Credit to him though for putting in as much work as he did.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.
Busting out the ever hated triple post to say that this is one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read on here, and that includes BodeClone posts. Like I didn't totally disagree at first and then line 3 happened and oh boy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Busting out the ever hated triple post to say that this is one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read on here, and that includes BodeClone posts. Like I didn't totally disagree at first and then line 3 happened and oh boy.

People that say the NBA plays no defense don't watch the NBA.

I don't even watch much NBA but I know there's defense, it's just REALLY difficult against the best players in the world.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I get this is a normal saying for sports, but like....what? We're setting records for biggest home losses and got beat by a MEAC team. You're probably gonna need to explain this one a bit.
Besides, if somebody says "never" or "always" then it most likely isn't true.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
First of all, this isn’t 1960 basketball with “centers”....second, even Fran McCaffrey can figure out how to get 2 bigs (Garza, Kriener) on the floor at the same time. In fact elite teams do it all the time. Only a moron would make our 3 bigs split 40 minutes like Prohm has done this year with Solo and George.
It helps when those two bigs shoot mid 30% on 3s.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not really. Naz came in with George. ISU had plenty of guards that year but you could see his potential. Had good size too. Hit some really big shots in big games as a sophomore.

I think the point was comparing the current freshmen to Naz and Matt as Freshmen. Naz played a few minutes as a tall PG that couldn't handle the ball very well or shoot at all. Then his first game as a Soph. he drops 26 and a few games later goes 4-6 from deep in the Chuck McGary Michigan game. And between just watching and hearing Naz or Fred talk about it, Naz was not a case of normal development. He made a conscious decision and put in stupid hours to completely transform his game.

As for Matt, though he was certainly a CF whipping boy and struggled his first two years, I think most people figured he was that highly recruited for a reason. But still, it was pretty reasonable to think he might end up being a marginal player. He finished his Soph. season not playing much, shooting 33% from three, and struggling on defense.

I have no idea how Jackson and Grill will end up. Very different teams. Grill in particular would not have gotten minutes on those teams when Naz and Matt were underclassmen. But Jackson has been better as a Freshman than Matt and Naz were. He's shooting the deeper 3 at a high rate in conference play and is a plus defender. Matt's stats weren't too bad as a freshman, but he had some good games early against the no-name teams, and for the most part in conference play his minutes, role, and production went down significantly. Meanwhile, Jackson struggled early and is coming on against the better conference teams. And as has been said a few times, Grill's a big unknown due to playing so many sports in HS. He's played a lot less basketball than most freshmen.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It just seems to me that CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit to Ames to have prolonged success. The right coach for the job recruits the Midwest high schools and JUCOs first and foremost. Prohm and staff continuing to recruit guys from the Southeast (where they're from) - with no Midwest ties - is simply lazy and poor recruiting. That's why when those recruits get to Iowa for real, they are home sick and out of place. Fred, Larry, and Floyd all had success recruiting the Midwest high schools, JUCOs, and transfers. Canadians have even worked out well recently, It's all about the right fit, and it seems like CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit. Look at Campbell's recruiting (Midwest focus) vs. Rhoads (Florida/Texas/Cali) - the results are night and day - we've been down this road before - we need a Midwest guy with strong Midwest connections.

it seems that you really really misremember where a lot of the players you’re trying to use as a rationalization for a flawed group think talking point, were actually from

Maybe it will be proven a Midwest guy will end up being the right answer, but not because of where kids they recruit are from.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby and awd4cy

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Quite a few people on here wanted Naz to transfer after his Freshman season. Pretty much the reason people get mad when someone needs to say a players name when talking about a potential transfer out. If posters had their way, Naz wouldn't have seen his sophomore year here.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
IMO you really can’t compare Prohm to Rhoads or McDermott because Prohm has had a much higher level of success than either of those two. McDermott literally never had a winning season at ISU and even though Rhoads had some great moments, his team was never realistically competing for Big XII championships like CSP’s teams have at their best.

I was thinking yesterday that Prohm’s tenure is starting to remind me a bit of Travis Ford at OSU. If you recall, he had a lot of talent and success early on in his career at OSU, and sent some players to the NBA, but then he stopped getting to the NCAA tourney despite still pulling in some decent talent to Stillwater. The key to his demise was that fan and donor interest starting plummeting, and what used to be a tough environment at GIA began to erode, very fast. OSU is still recovering from that mess today and might not truly ever get it back.

I’ve heard JP state this before in interviews; it’s incredibly difficult to win a customer back once they’ve left. I just hope we don’t get a point as a fanbase where our ticket sales, donors and overall atmosphere deteriorate to a point where it will take years to gain it back. Heading into an era of uncertainty with college basketball in general with the pay to play, tv rights and one-and-done rules are up for change in the near future, things could get weird in Ames.

I agree with this, but I think the obvious reason for the lack of comparison is that Prohm took over a program that was in a good position with veteran players that could go out there and win from day one. The other two had some, but not as many. Hoiberg haters aside, I think most would agree Fred had built something that resulted in some early successes for Prohm. I'm not sure he can reach that level again going forward.

Reactions: CyBobby

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
it seems that you really really misremember where a lot of the players you’re trying to use as a rationalization for a flawed group think talking point, were actually from

Maybe it will be proven a Midwest guy will end up being the right answer, but not because of where kids they recruit are from.

I'm talking about players that make a difference, really the only two non-Midwest, non-Canadian difference-makers from the last 10 years are Georges Niang (Mass.) and Craig Brackins (CA). I'm not talking about guys to fill out a roster, I'm talking about dudes! Check the list below.

Tyrese Halliburton - Wisconsin
Matt Thomas - Wisconsin
Donovan Jackson - Wisconsin/Iowa Western
Jameel McKay - Wisconsin/Indian Hills/Marquette transfer
Scott Christopherson - Wisconsin
Deonte Burton - Wisconsin/Marquette transfer
Diante Garrett - Wisconsin
Monte Morris - Michigan
Melvin Ejim - Canada
Naz Long - Canada
Jamie Vanderbeken - Canada
Jake Sullivan - Minnesota
Dustin Hogue - Indian Hills
Abdul Nader - Illinois
Deandre Kane - Marshall transfer
Korie Lucious - MSU transfer
Chris Babb - PSU transfer
Will Clyburn - Marshalltown CC/Utah transfer
Tyrus McGee - JUCO
Chris Allen - MSU transfer
Royce White - Minn. transfer

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
I'm talking about players that make a difference, really the only two non-Midwest, non-Canadian difference-makers from the last 10 years are Georges Niang (Mass.) and Craig Brackins (CA). I'm not talking about guys to fill out a roster, I'm talking about dudes! Check the list below.

Matt Thomas - Wisconsin
Monte Morris - Michigan
Melvin Ejim - Canada
Naz Long - Canada
Abdul Nader - Illinois
Tyrus McGee - JUCO
I think you’re stretching what is considered Midwest. Chris & Nick Babb, Clyburn, Kane, McGee, BDJ are all from outside the Midwest. Let’s not act like we haven’t had guys from outside the Midwest be quite successful here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halincandenza

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Matt Thomas - Wisconsin
Monte Morris - Michigan
Melvin Ejim - Canada
Naz Long - Canada
Abdul Nader - Illinois

Tyrus McGee - JUCO

Michigan isnt the mid-west. Neither are Pennsylvania or West Virginia.

Also, maybe you missed that the current sophomores are all from either Wisconsin or Chicago, Illinois. And half the freshman class was from Missouri (Leech) or Kansas (Grill). So stating that this staff only recruits the SE is completely a falsification.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and cycart

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Also, maybe you missed that the current sophomores are all from either Wisconsin or Chicago, Illinois. And half the freshman class was from Missour (Leech) or Kansas (Grill). So stating that this staff only recruits the SE is completely a falsification.

Michigan is considered as part of the Midwest.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You play like you practice is the way it works. Something is missing.
This is not always the case. In practice, you can be fundamentally sound, do all the little things, and look perfect, but once the bright lights come on, everything goes out the window. It happens all the time in every single sport. From listening to Prohm, the guys are educated on the defensive and offensive side of things when it comes to scouting, but then out on the court, they go off into their own little worlds.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013

Also, maybe you missed that the current sophomores are all from either Wisconsin or Chicago, Illinois. And half the freshman class was from Missouri (Leech) or Kansas (Grill). So stating that this staff only recruits the SE is completely a falsification.
Difference-makers - only Halliburton on the current roster. Leech and Grill not dudes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron