COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would generally agree, but Solo has been switching a lot on defense lately and with all but good first step guards he has more than held his own, and he seems to have remarkably quick hands for as big as he is. Conditt on the other hand needs to improve his foot speed which is terrible.

Late in the game last night Solo made a couple of tremendous defensive plays in the pick and roll. I have always been a huge Solo fan, so even though this year has been brutal, seeing him come on like this has been great to see.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think you are misremembering a bit about Naz..

Not really. Naz came in with George. ISU had plenty of guards that year but you could see his potential. Had good size too. Hit some really big shots in big games as a sophomore.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think you are misremembering a bit about Naz..

I remember that Naz was quite a surprise in the game at Okie State.
After that, we just assumed he'd make big shots, but nobody expected it before that.

If I remember his freshman year correctly, we were all pretty concerned about his ball-handling and wondering how he could be a point guard.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Not really. Naz came in with George. ISU had plenty of guards that year but you could see his potential. Had good size too. Hit some really big shots in big games as a sophomore.
You said you could see the potential right away, Matt maybe, but Naz? No. Noone expected him to be the player his was/is today after that first year.

He shot 23 total shots as a freshman. 18 of them being 3 pointers. he made 5.

If you had him pegged as the guy he turned into after year 1, you are in the wrong profession.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
After that, we just assumed he'd make big shots, but nobody expected it before that.

If I remember his freshman year correctly, we were all pretty concerned about his ball-handling and wondering how he could be a point guard.
Yep, exactly. Because he was a PG heavily on his AAU team. And OSU was his coming out party in the eyes of Cyclones fans. He was certainly making strides that second year, not saying that at all. Just the "right away" part that held me up. I was always of the impression he was a shooter, based on his highlight tape. But noone should've been expecting NBA or even all big 12 after frosh year..cmon.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Actually, it was the 7 3’s he hit first game of his sophomore year.

Naz was not considered an elite recruit

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm too lazy to find them but there were plenty of posts ripping on Matt T his first 2 yrs on CF. People warmed up to Naz sooner than Matt quite a bit sooner if I remember right.

he struggled shooting the ball some his freshman year. But at the beginning of the year when he was starting, he did a lot of other things.

I remember he had like 13 and 7 at BYU during the eye gouge and middle finger game.

then it just became apparent Monte needed to be in with the starters, and he kind of faded off. Made a pretty big 3 in the first half of the Carolina game, if I remember correctly

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm too lazy to find them but there were plenty of posts ripping on Matt T his first 2 yrs on CF. People warmed up to Naz sooner than Matt quite a bit sooner if I remember right.

judging by what’s happening now, it’s probably not terribly surprising some of the fanatics on here would be critical of a kid trying to find his place in the world

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
lol, what? Say what you will about the coaching staff but they know enough not to put 3 centers on the floor at the same time.
First of all, this isn’t 1960 basketball with “centers”....second, even Fran McCaffrey can figure out how to get 2 bigs (Garza, Kriener) on the floor at the same time. In fact elite teams do it all the time. Only a moron would make our 3 bigs split 40 minutes like Prohm has done this year with Solo and George.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
First of all, this isn’t 1960 basketball with “centers”....second, even Fran McCaffrey can figure out how to get 2 bigs (Garza, Kriener) on the floor at the same time. In fact elite teams do it all the time. Only a moron would make our 3 bigs split 40 minutes like Prohm has done this year with Solo and George.
Want to trade CSP for Mad Fran?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
CAT YOU ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT THE DUMBEST F**K ON THE PLANET.....INCLUDING THIS MESSAGE BOARD

youre the one that made a completely ignorant statement showing no knowledge of Beards resume.

I get you’re an old guy, you’ve said as much with your stories.

but you can work the internet, obviously. Google chris beard, and see where his entire professional life, with the exception on one year in Little Rock, has taken place.

• Dislike
Reactions: awd4cy and CyBobby

Help Support Us

Become a patron