More PAC 12 unrest

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...ence-144248076/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if USC or others are actually considering moving to independent or another conference, or if this is a power play for unequal revenue sharing in conference? I could see someday the big 10 taking 5 or 6 schools and creating a pod system conference. Big 12 comes in and takes 2 or 4 leftovers. Be interesting to see what plays out the next 5 years with more lawsuits and legislation in the works plus everyone minus the ACC getting new TV deals.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
It won't happen, but can you imagine the powerhouse of a conference the Big 12 would be if we had USC, Arizona, ASU, and UCLA join the conference? Pipe dreams, I know. And if UCLA wouldn't leave the PAC then bring either Colorado back or add San Diego State instead. If we needed to trim some fat; sorry TCU/Baylor/WVU (WVU may not want to travel cross country anyways). I couldn't even fathom the litigation that would go on for that.

In order for this to even be a .0001% chance our current contract with ESPN would either need to have clauses for renegotiation for either adding teams or it would need to be short terms so we wouldn't have to wait year's/decades to renegotiate. I don't remember the ESPN contract off the top of my head. But it is kind of fun to hypothesize about.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: isuno1fan

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"It's really simple, you think of the LA market and the value to the league there, obviously our ongoing series with Notre Dame, our marquee games that we commit to in non-conference, it's important for us to continue to be leaders in the Pac-12," Bohn said. "It's important for us to operate from a place of strength."

The PAC 12 is stuck in its past glory. They negotiated a short-sighted long-term deal while the other conferences were more forward-thinking. The quote about the LA market was laughable. The LA market doesn't really care about college sports. It's pretty similar to the New York market in regards to college sports.

The B1G and SEC teams get the most money because of their deals, but also because they consistently bring more fans to the games.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...-no-1-130-2019-cfn-five-year-program-analysis

The Big XII brings Texas and Oklahoma to the table. The ACC has Florida State and Clemson. Notre Dame brings a crowd. Meanwhile, the PAC 12 barely breaks the Top 20 with USC at #20. Stadium size plays into these figures, but you still need to have fans show up.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The first step for the PAC is to fire Larry Scott.
The second step for the PAC is to get out of their shiny new HQ.
Third step is to get their games onto time slots where Central and Eastern time zones see their games.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
"It's really simple, you think of the LA market and the value to the league there, obviously our ongoing series with Notre Dame, our marquee games that we commit to in non-conference, it's important for us to continue to be leaders in the Pac-12," Bohn said. "It's important for us to operate from a place of strength."

The PAC 12 is stuck in its past glory. They negotiated a short-sighted long-term deal while the other conferences were more forward-thinking. The quote about the LA market was laughable. The LA market doesn't really care about college sports. It's pretty similar to the New York market in regards to college sports.

The B1G and SEC teams get the most money because of their deals, but also because they consistently bring more fans to the games.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...-no-1-130-2019-cfn-five-year-program-analysis

The Big XII brings Texas and Oklahoma to the table. The ACC has Florida State and Clemson. Notre Dame brings a crowd. Meanwhile, the PAC 12 barely breaks the Top 20 with USC at #20. Stadium size plays into these figures, but you still need to have fans show up.
Take that ASU! You may have the warm weather, hot co-eds and easy classes but we've got you beat in football attendance and it's not particularly close.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It won't happen, but can you imagine the powerhouse of a conference the Big 12 would be if we had USC, Arizona, ASU, and UCLA join the conference? Pipe dreams, I know. And if UCLA wouldn't leave the PAC then bring either Colorado back or add San Diego State instead. If we needed to trim some fat; sorry TCU/Baylor/WVU (WVU may not want to travel cross country anyways). I couldn't even fathom the litigation that would go on for that.

In order for this to even be a .0001% chance our current contract with ESPN would either need to have clauses for renegotiation for either adding teams or it would need to be short terms so we wouldn't have to wait year's/decades to renegotiate. I don't remember the ESPN contract off the top of my head. But it is kind of fun to hypothesize about.
Ummm... I don't think you want any scenario where the Big XII is "trimming fat". I personally love it at 10 teams. I would hate being in a situation like the B1G where you go years without seeing certain teams on your schedule.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My nephew goes to ASU. He's not regretting it in the least.
He will when he's bitten by a rattlesnake or stung by one of the many scorpions that are hanging around on Mille Avenue in Tempe.

Our last trip to Arizona, my daughter (the one with the 4.33 GPA and 34 ACT score) decided that it would be a good idea to give a cactus a high five.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
He will when he's bitten by a rattlesnake or stung by one of the many scorpions that are hanging around on Mille Avenue in Tempe.

Our last trip to Arizona, my daughter (the one with the 4.33 GPA and 34 ACT score) decided that it would be a good idea to give a cactus a high five.

Suggested reading

images

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Ummm... I don't think you want any scenario where the Big XII is "trimming fat". I personally love it at 10 teams. I would hate being in a situation like the B1G where you go years without seeing certain teams on your schedule.
But if you love it at 10 and we added 3 or 4, you would have to trim it back down. And I would absolutely trade TCU,BU, and WVU for USC, ASU, and U of A. That would increase the overall value of the conference cutting two small private schools with tiny fan bases/subscribers. Again, this is all completely hypothetical with 0.0001% chance of happening, just a fun conversation.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Everyone realizes that when you read these realignment threads on any other team's forum ISU is the one being thrown under the bus. Only one I haven't seen it in is TCU's.

When it happens I just hope we end up somewhere decent and financially stable. Pretty sure we aren't paying all these salaries and improvements out of donations and ticket sales.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

This was quite the humble brag till you put the cactus part in, but that certainly was the funniest part.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Saw this in the Athletic a few weeks ago. Seems if there's a wrong step to take the PAC will take it

"Last year ESPN offered to take over distribution (and finally get it on DirecTV) if the conference agreed to a 10-year extension for Tier 1 rights, but Scott and the conference presidents are hedging their bets for a bigger payoff come 2024"

Reactions: clone2003

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Saw this in the Athletic a few weeks ago. Seems if there's a wrong step to take the PAC will take it

"Last year ESPN offered to take over distribution (and finally get it on DirecTV) if the conference agreed to a 10-year extension for Tier 1 rights, but Scott and the conference presidents are hedging their bets for a bigger payoff come 2024"
Or they might be holding out for a Tier 1 partner who will schedule their games at a time when more people might watch them?

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Big 12 will not kick out any teams. The only thing that might happen would be WVU to ACC or SEC and I don't know how likely that is. Getting 4 or 5 from Pac-12/MWC would be cool. I do think some of the Pac-12 schools think they might be too good for the Big 12. They think their stuff don't smell...