Are we being to harsh

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Solo, Bolton, and Jackson returning next year certainly gives a little hope for next year- thats not a bad trio to have return together. Grill has shown some toughness the last couple games as well

If we are relying on that trio to win games, we are in for a repeat of this year. Would be similar to OSU returning everyone and still being bad.

• Winner
Reactions: bostrem00

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think this question begs another question-- are we actually being harsh enough? Is some kind of public shaming in order? Maybe someone needs to egg his house or something?

• Funny
Reactions: Ankency

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
So, say Lewis is gone and everyone else returns. It is the 7 guys I mentioned above, and the 4 new guys. Plus a couple spots open up (Lewis and Tyrese). If we get one or two guys ready to contribute right away, we could be competitive at the very minimum next year.

Agree. And we would really be trending back in the right direction if a big time transfer brings a defensive minded assistant with him.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Nope, not being too harsh at all. It's Steve's job to put a competitive product on the floor. I get we lost some pieces, but:

A) Alot of that was expected. Shayok was a senior. Wigginton made it clear he was gone. THT we knew was gone after pretty much November of last year. He had plenty of time to plan for this, and

B) Every coach deals with attrition. It's just not an excuse.

We lost to Florida A&M which was the biggest upset per ESPN BPI in something like 18 years. We got run out of the gym by Iowa. We have 7 loses in conference by double digits, with 5 of those being by 20+ points.

Hell, even in a win last night he couldn't do much to instill confidence in the fan base. That was a bad, bad TCU team, and we still did our best to blow a sizable lead. We had 8 second half fieldgoals.

I can understand some teams will be better than others, and there are years we wont make the tournament. But it's not being overly "harsh" when you put into perspective that this team has been historically bad.

I actually do not think that there was enough time to replace THT. He was going to be a center piece for this season as a stretch 4 or point forward. They were never going to find someone to do that between December (when they knew he was going to declare) and the season. We all knew LW was gone and Lard was probably never going to make it through another offseason. But, a team of TH, THT, Bolton, Solo, Conditt, Jacobson, Nixon and the TRFR would have been a bubble team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Stinson and Blalock didn't play for Larry. They played for Wayne

Yes, I know that.

I was questioning whether or not they would have bought into how Larry operated had he been at ISU during their time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You are right, it doesn't really matter. But we had 6 (!!!) NBA caliber players on the 2015-2016 roster - and made a Sweet 16. We had 4 NBA guys on the 2016-2017 roster and made the Round of 32. This is a results-oriented profession...not exactly lighting it up and producing results with that talent level.

I know it sounds good, and I'm not making excuses, but how many of those guys are really "NBA guys"? Most are end of the bench or G-League. As far as I know, only Monte is getting real NBA minutes. Nader and Niang see minutes, but are they even in the regular rotation? Naz and Burton I wouldn't say are NBA guys.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd swap Texas for Iowa. That seemed to be the point where a lot of people really started to question things.

Yeah you saw an average basketball team come in an railroad ISU after they got railroaded last year by pretty much the same team.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I always thought this was a dumb argument. Nobody in college basketball gets fired because they had x number of NBA players, but didn't get to a certain point in the tournament. Please show me the chart that correlates the # of NBA players to tournament finish, and where the fireable line falls within the chart.

Freaking Bryce Dejean Jones played in the NBA, and I would argue him being on the team caused them to lose in the first round. How does that fit your argument?

And BDJ started more games in his lone NBA season than Monte, Georges, Burton, Nader, Naz, Thomas, Shayok, THT, and Wigginton have combined in their career.

It's a little dumb to either give a coach an excuse or additional credit if his talent sucks, or to penalize a coach because the talent he brings in is good.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So, say Lewis is gone and everyone else returns. It is the 7 guys I mentioned above, and the 4 new guys. Plus a couple spots open up (Lewis and Tyrese). If we get one or two guys ready to contribute right away, we could be competitive at the very minimum next year.

I think all 7 of these players have the ability to do well, including the freshman although we have no actual idea how well they’ll play yet. The issue for me is, some of these guys need to elevate their play to an all Big 12 level. I don’t care who it is, but some guys need to get there.

We’ve been to the tourney 7 times in the last decade.

2012 (8): 1st team, Royce, 2nd team, Scotty
2013 (10): 2nd team, Clyburn, 3rd team, Ejim
2014 (3): 1st team CPOY, Ejim, 1st team, Kane, 3rd team, Niang
2015 (3): 1st team, Niang, 2nd team, Monte, 3rd team, McKay
2016 (4): 1st team, Niang, 2nd team, Monte
2017 (5): 1st team, Monte, 2nd team, Naz, 3rd team, Burton
2019 (6): 1st team, Shayok

Every year but last year we had multiple players on the list. Only one year we made it we didn’t have a first teamer. Again I’m pretty positive out of the returning guys next year we’ll have enough quality. We need a few stars to push us into the tourney. That either needs developed or recruited and that’s what needs to happen in the offseason.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Don't forget about Babb and Lard - playing ball for money..... Prohm got his recruiting classes to start and many of them went pro earlier than we thought..... We want to start over? If Prohm leaves, how may of his recruits go too
Lard is a guy that often gets overlooked when we talk about players that left early. He had tons of potential. Imagine if he'd matured and gotten his issues resolved. IMO he would have dominated in the post on both offense and defense.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Too harsh? This team lost to FAMU. The worst loss in BPI since BPI has existed. And that isn't just Iowa states worse loss in BPI, it was the worse loss across all of college basketball. It also has 2 of the top 3 margins of defeat in Hilton history. Hilton opened in 1971. 2 of the worst defeats in 49 years have happened in one single season, the worst of which was to an unranked the, and you want to know of people are being to harsh for wanting the coach fired?

And this isn't new for prohm. This isn't just a one off season where things went bad. 2 seasons ago he set the record for fewest points scored in Hilton with 45 vs Tennessee, as well as losing our first home opening in 20 years when we got stomped by 18 points by horizon league team Milwaukee. With his guys he has had 1 good season, and 2 seasons with historic level defeats.

So no, I don't think calling for a coaches head for producing the most embarrassing results in 50 years is too harsh.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Imagine if only Lindell would have come back for this year. That could have been a perfect set up for him. Tyrese to distribute the ball and Lindell to be our 'shoot-at-will' scorer. That is what got him so much hype his freshman year. If he came back, it is more likely that we are talking about Lindell as a lottery pick rather than Tyrese. It is what it is, but one kid staying (even if it wasn't Lindell) changes this whole situation.