*** Official TCU Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Kind of a neat moment post game...
Those of us who stay for the whole game know that there's a certain order after a win - ISU Fights, then Bells of ISU, then Celebrate, then You Was Gone, and finally, the band members link arms & sing Bells of ISU (there are some lovely harmonies when they sing it). Tonight, Conditt came running over at the end of You Was Gone and linked arms with about four female band members (yes, his arms were long enough!). He clearly didn't know any of the words until the last line, but he swayed there with them for the whole song. Afterward, he said a couple of quick words (looked like a "thanks for playing" type thing) and loped back across the court. The band started chanting "The band loves George", and he turned around at the corner, trying to figure out what they were chanting. Someone down near him told him what it was, and he raised his arms and then brought his hands down together in front of him and bowed to them, then waved & ran down the tunnel.
Kid's working on replacing Hali, who replaced Georges as most-beloved Cyclone. :D
This team needs leaders and it seems like he wants to be one.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Rewatching the game.

-Jackson, Grill, and Young have some fight in them. I look forward to what they’ll be next year.
-George can be a winning contributor on a good team. Can’t teach his length.
-Bolton more naturally talented than most sophomores.

Good things ahead! Get a defensive guru and we’re going to surprise people next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This team needs leaders and it seems like he wants to be one.
He could be, just needs to check his attitude at the door before games and add about 20 pounds of pure muscle. Bane for TCU went from 16% body fat to looking like he could pose for ESPN's body magazine, almost overnight

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Solo has been a stud since his benching. The way he responded to adversity says a ton about his character.

Jackson and Grill both bring great effort every game and both have a good feel for the game as freshmen. Great to see them have success. Looking forward to seeing their growth the rest of the season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sat in the lower level tonight and was rather disappointed in those sitting around us. They just sat there. This team needs fan support and they just sat there. A few acted like we were interrupting their quiet time.

Let’s fill those seats with fans willing to support this team. WV is the final home game and senior night.

Seriously, why do people say stuff like this? Be happy people showed up. I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Prohm praised Grill in the post game. It probably took him too long, but Prohm finally realized he needed to be out there instead of Nixon. Both are a minus on offense, but at least Grill brings something on defense.

Grill is minus on offense like Nixon but grill only took 3 shots, a couple were pretty bad but they were within the offense and he wasn’t hunting for it. Same can’t be said for Nixon.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Kind of a neat moment post game...
Those of us who stay for the whole game know that there's a certain order after a win - ISU Fights, then Bells of ISU, then Celebrate, then You Was Gone, and finally, the band members link arms & sing Bells of ISU (there are some lovely harmonies when they sing it). Tonight, Conditt came running over at the end of You Was Gone and linked arms with about four female band members (yes, his arms were long enough!). He clearly didn't know any of the words until the last line, but he swayed there with them for the whole song. Afterward, he said a couple of quick words (looked like a "thanks for playing" type thing) and loped back across the court. The band started chanting "The band loves George", and he turned around at the corner, trying to figure out what they were chanting. Someone down near him told him what it was, and he raised his arms and then brought his hands down together in front of him and bowed to them, then waved & ran down the tunnel.
Kid's working on replacing Hali, who replaced Georges as most-beloved Cyclone. :D

Big George seems like the heir apparent for the leadership role, and where Tyrese has enthusiasm and positivity, George has a bit of an edge to him (which can be a very good thing).

• Agree
Reactions: clone1990

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I thought the band always ended with the looney toons thing? Did that go away?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prohm praised Grill in the post game. It probably took him too long, but Prohm finally realized he needed to be out there instead of Nixon. Both are a minus on offense, but at least Grill brings something on defense.

I'm anticipating Grill finding offense next season (if allowed).

Starting to look more comfortable with the ball and in the game in general, just needs to find the rhythm with a shot that to me looks pretty good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big George seems like the heir apparent for the leadership role, and where Tyrese has enthusiasm and positivity, George has a bit of an edge to him (which can be a very good thing).

The 'they need to bulk up thing' can be overplayed but imo with Conditt's skill level him getting bigger would be a plus.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The 'they need to bulk up thing' can be overplayed but imo with Conditt's skill level him getting bigger would be a plus.

Yeah, or stronger at least. You can tell the difference when Solomon posts someone up vs when George does. Solomon moves them, creates space and can go into whatever move he is trying to make using his physicality. He also holds his space well on the other end. George still does a little bit of bouncing off.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
One thing I noticed was the whole bench seemed engaged and enthusiastic the whole time. Anyone who thinks Prohm has lost this team is just plain wrong. Also some props to Hali for being the most engaged and enthusiastic, I am sure that is infectious. I will miss him next year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Grill is minus on offense like Nixon but grill only took 3 shots, a couple were pretty bad but they were within the offense and he wasn’t hunting for it. Same can’t be said for Nixon.
As bad as it is, Nixon has to start and play. With Halliburton out, he's the best option at pg. Last night he was terrible, but he's been serviceable since tyrese went down.

It took him awhile, too long really, but Prohm did get it right, and finally sat him. Keeping Nixon in the game lost the lead they built up, but pulling him for Grill ultimately won the game. So I guess net win.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yeah, or stronger at least. You can tell the difference when Solomon posts someone up vs when George does. Solomon moves them, creates space and can go into whatever move he is trying to make using his physicality. He also holds his space well on the other end. George still does a little bit of bouncing off.
Stronger for sure, but mainly just for grabbing a rebound. Conditt and Solo are two different types of 5's, but both styles can be successful. What's tricky is when they're on the team at the same time.

Conditt needs to be like McKay, when he was at his best, rim running, drop off dunks, and blocking shots. Solo is a get it to him on the block, and let him post up guy. Problem is, when they are on the team together, it's difficult for the 4 others on the floor to switch offensive styles, depending on which 5 is in the game.

It's not an issue this season because Solo is noticeably the better player, and the offense is much better playing the slow down style that allows them to be a patient, and get it into Solo to make his moves.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hopefully that is a sign of things to come for Jackson.

They still have two winnable games left. I think they will beat Kansas State but the OSU game is going to be a little tougher.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
As bad as it is, Nixon has to start and play. With Halliburton out, he's the best option at pg. Last night he was terrible, but he's been serviceable since tyrese went down.

It took him awhile, too long really, but Prohm did get it right, and finally sat him. Keeping Nixon in the game lost the lead they built up, but pulling him for Grill ultimately won the game. So I guess net win.

upload_2020-2-26_8-47-21.png

I disagree with you on Nixon being our best option and we should start and play him. He's a dud. He's ok on defense, but look at those numbers on offense. 1-10 shooting (and none of them were good looks) and 4 registered TO (I'd say he is responsible for Young's TOs). AND THOSE STATS DON'T REFLECT HOW AWFUL HE WAS.

The worst part about it is his performance did not come as a surprise to ISU fans. It may have actually been expected. Thank you for being a cyclone, Prentiss.

Prohm has the tough task at finding the right PG for the job. The only knock on Prohm last nigh was leaving Nixon in, but who else do we have? He tried to use Bolton last night, but he's turnover prone and a ball hog, too. Jackson is too good of a shooter to have him as PG.

Am I crazy to say we should give Grill some run at PG? Probably, but his effort last night was impressive and something clicked. I trust him to do his best at distributing and I'm not cringing the whole time that he's going to heave up trashy shots. If he is any good at Pick&Roll with a drive/kick, START HIM NOW. I don't know if he is though.

We have hope for the future with the freshman, Bolton, Young and Conditt. They played tough.