COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Nixon’s effort is good, but dude doesn’t have feel for the game. His decision making was terrible late in the second half. Jackson and Grill both have a way better feel for the game as freshman.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Never as good or as bad as it seems. A case could be made that both Wigginton and THT should have returned to school. Prohm exhausted every resource possible to turn Lard around. Where is the team right now with a rotation of Haliburton, Wigginton, THT, Lard, Young, Conditt, Jacobson, Nixon? Prohm has arguably the best recruiting class ever on its way to campus. Give him a chance to turn it around for crying out loud.

Don't worry with his buy out clause csp will be given at least 2 more years to turn the mbb program around ...How in the Hell did Tx Tech get a coach like Chris Beard and we get stuck with Prohm....

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Who? Don't say Naz or Matt Thomas. You could see the potential right away with those two, and they were still way better as freshman than the underclassmen ISU has now.

How would you rank these 4 seasons?

Player A: 4.1 p/g, 1.4 a/g, 1.6 r/g, 35.5% from 3
Player B: 1.4 p/g, 1 a/g, .8 r/g, 27.8% from 3
Player C: 5.5 p/g, 1.1 a/g, 2.1 r/g, 33.6% from 3
Player D: 7.1 p/g, 1.1 a/g, 1.6 r/g, 40% from 3

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
How would you rank these 3 freshman seasons?

Player A: 4.1 p/g, 1.4 a/g, 1.6 r/g, 35.5% from 3
Player B: 1.4 p/g, 1 a/g, .8 r/g, 27.8% from 3
Player C: 5.5 p/g, 1.1 a/g, 2.1 r/g, 33.6% from 3

this isn’t aimed at you. Rather the person you quoted.

Jesus, Naz didn’t get off the bench his first year. Matt started games right away before he was relegated to the bench for Monte.

then by the end of Matt’s sophomore year, even after bdj has been taken out of the lineup, he still got limited minutes.

It’s almost like they think they have to make **** up to discredit every single positive thing prohm has done here. That’s exactly what the george and Zion tweeted about a few weeks ago. Christ, the face of this site wrote a long article about these folks too.

notice the same folks were all up in arms at Jamie’s tweet. They wanted Tom manning gone.

it’s definitely a them thing. It’s a good thing we have a team full of what appear to be good kids, or there would have been several suck a fat one tweets with some callous ignorance going around on cyclone social media sites.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
In CW's write up he mentioned "grit" and to me in last night's game and really all season Grill has shown just that and that is something this team desperately needs. I like what Grill brings and with more experience he will be a very solid role player or maybe even a starter. Every team needs one of those work your rear off, high energy guys that is willing to do what needs to be done (glue guy) Grill may be that guy.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
It just seems to me that CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit to Ames to have prolonged success. The right coach for the job recruits the Midwest high schools and JUCOs first and foremost. Prohm and staff continuing to recruit guys from the Southeast (where they're from) - with no Midwest ties - is simply lazy and poor recruiting. That's why when those recruits get to Iowa for real, they are home sick and out of place. Fred, Larry, and Floyd all had success recruiting the Midwest high schools, JUCOs, and transfers. Canadians have even worked out well recently, It's all about the right fit, and it seems like CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit. Look at Campbell's recruiting (Midwest focus) vs. Rhoads (Florida/Texas/Cali) - the results are night and day - we've been down this road before - we need a Midwest guy with strong Midwest connections.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It just seems to me that CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit to Ames to have prolonged success. The right coach for the job recruits the Midwest high schools and JUCOs first and foremost. Prohm and staff continuing to recruit guys from the Southeast (where they're from) - with no Midwest ties - is simply lazy and poor recruiting. That's why when those recruits get to Iowa for real, they are home sick and out of place. Fred, Larry, and Floyd all had success recruiting the Midwest high schools, JUCOs, and transfers. Canadians have even worked out well recently, It's all about the right fit, and it seems like CSP and staff don't understand the type of player they need to recruit. Look at Campbell's recruiting (Midwest focus) vs. Rhoads (Florida/Texas/Cali) - the results are night and day - we've been down this road before - we need a Midwest guy with strong Midwest connections.

Kantrail Horton.......Georgia
Mike Nurse......New York
Jamaal Tinsley......New York
Stevie Johnson......Mississippi
Marcus Fizer.......Louisiana

Starters for the best team in ISU history.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Speaking of the Midwest, maybe you missed the signings of Horton-Tucker, Conditt, Griffin, Haliburton, Grill, Foster, Lewis, Leech, Jackson, Nixon, ... And they have a guy in Robinson who recruits midwest.
Guys from the Southeast on the team ....Jackson and Johnson (not homesick) and 3 guys in the current class. and no evidence so far they are homesick....
Canadians they signed. Wigginton and Shayok.
Recruiting the Southeast isn't lazy recruiting. You can get best players you can, regardless of area and you generally focus on areas you have connections to like Kane has.

Also, basketball recruiting isn't the same as recruiting in football.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017

What are you talking about? 7 of the 10 kids playing this year are from states bordering Iowa.

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and NENick

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The strength of this team next year will be our Bigs - Solo, George and Xavier but the weakness of this team is our coaching staff has no clue how to get two, let alone three of them on the floor at the same time.

lol, what? Say what you will about the coaching staff but they know enough not to put 3 centers on the floor at the same time.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
lol, what? Say what you will about the coaching staff but they know enough not to put 3 centers on the floor at the same time.

I think Solo and Xavier will pair pretty well. XF has a little more outside ability so he can stretch the floor and not clog the paint for Solo. Really the only combination of these three that I can see not faring so well is the Solo/Conditt pairing. Spacing will be a real issue with those two playing together.

• Optimistic
Reactions: awd4cy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think Solo and Xavier will pair pretty well. XF has a little more outside ability so he can stretch the floor and not clog the paint for Solo. Really the only combination of these three that I can see not faring so well is the Solo/Conditt pairing. Spacing will be a real issue with those two playing together.

I don't think pairing any of them works well on the defensive end. And Foster has to adjust to shooting the college 3 so I don't that would work well yet either. Of course if he does come in and tear it up from 3 than that could work on offense but I think it would be a disaster on defense.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think pairing any of them works well on the defensive end. And Foster has to adjust to shooting the college 3 so I don't that would work well yet either. Of course if he does come in and tear it up from 3 than that could work on offense but I think it would be a disaster on defense.

That's fair. We don't know how quickly XF will adjust to the college game on either end of the floor. If it's a steep learning curve for him then they might not have much choice other than to play small with just Solo or Conditt as the only big on the floor.

Reactions: Halincandenza

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017

I would generally agree, but Solo has been switching a lot on defense lately and with all but good first step guards he has more than held his own, and he seems to have remarkably quick hands for as big as he is. Conditt on the other hand needs to improve his foot speed which is terrible.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would generally agree, but Solo has been switching a lot on defense lately and with all but good first step guards he has more than held his own, and he seems to have remarkably quick hands for as big as he is. Conditt on the other hand needs to improve his foot speed which is terrible.

Yeah, if Young proves next year he can guard other teams 4s next year and be effective switching then him and Foster is really intriguing but I think that is still a wait and see.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Who? Don't say Naz or Matt Thomas. You could see the potential right away with those two, and they were still way better as freshman than the underclassmen ISU has now.

Anybody claiming to be able to see the potential right away as a Freshman with Naz is completely full of ****. His development to his Sophmore year was absolutely shocking, not only in just how good he was, but in the type of player he was. There was absolutely nothing from his HS or Freshman year that suggested he would ever, let alone the very next season be an assassin from three point range.

And if Thomas had been the 200th ranked recruit instead of in the 50s or 60s people would've been ******** his first two years about recruiting this guy that isn't a Big12 level player. He couldn't defend at all. He was basically out there to hit open jumpers off of all the creators on the court, and aside from a handful of games he didn't do that well. Thomas' recruiting rankings and hindsight make it seem like it was expected that he'd end up as good as he was. But as a Soph. he wasn't very good. He made a big jump on both ends of the court from Soph. to Jr., and took another big step forward his Senior year. Matt's a great example of why you shouldn't expect even highly ranked freshman to come in and play really well and you shouldn't give up on a guy after a year or even two.