Sign of a good Coach

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
No, Texas Tech’s a basketball powerhouse...oh wait.

Is anyone else tired of the “well historically, Iowa State only makes the tournament 50% of the time so that’s what we should expect” mentality?

When you have a good coach like Beard, Drew, and others - history doesn’t mean ****.

There are 350 D1 basketball teams and everyone of their ADs hired the coach they thought would take them to conference championships and deep runs in the tourney.

Reactions: Doc

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Because there were 2 guys last year who should have been on this year's roster in Wiggs and THT. You add just 1 of those and we're a top division B12 team with a great (gawd I hope so) recruiting class coming in.

No way both of those guys were ever coming back, Prohm had to expect at least one of them to leave that's just a cop out for Lewis and Griffin( the two highest recruited players on the team) not developing into even decent role players. If one of those guys lives up to their recruiting hype, this is a different team. Either they were misses in recruiting or the staff has failed to develop them in to big 12 players.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Because there were 2 guys last year who should have been on this year's roster in Wiggs and THT. You add just 1 of those and we're a top division B12 team with a great (gawd I hope so) recruiting class coming in.

And if Naz doesn’t get hurt in 2016 and Monte doesn’t sprain his shoulder then we don’t have either of them in 2017. This stuff happens where top level talent goes pro. He benefited from circumstances in 2017. No one on that staff believed LW would be here for three years when we signed him.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Is anyone else tired of the “well historically, Iowa State only makes the tournament 50% of the time so that’s what we should expect” mentality?

When you have a good coach like Beard, Drew, and others - history doesn’t mean ****.

Drew has had down years. Even if you don't count any of the years before he first made the tournament he has missed the tournament 4 times.
Bruce Weber has been to a final four and an elite eight and he misses tournaments. With Beard he has a limited sample size but what he has done to sustain them is he has recruited grad transfers at a high level compared to Prohm. Well, and he is also recruiting HS talent at a higher level.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
And if Naz doesn’t get hurt in 2016 and Monte doesn’t sprain his shoulder then we don’t have either of them in 2017. This stuff happens where top level talent goes pro. He benefited from circumstances in 2017. No one on that staff believed LW would be here for three years when we signed him.

Yeah and I think this is Prohm's biggest weakness is putting a team together year in and year out. Just looking at Monte's Senior year, a good recruiter should have been able to sell the open big spot to a really good player, either transfer or JUCO, because they had all the other pieces to be a great team except for that spot and they went and got Holdon and Bowie.

Last edited:
  • Agree

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Drew has had down years. Even if you don't count any of the years before he first made the tournament he has missed the tournament 4 times.
Bruce Weber has been to a final four and an elite eight and he misses tournaments. With Beard he has a limited sample size but what he has done to sustain them is he has recruited grad transfers at a high level compared to Prohm well and he is also recruiting HS talent at a higher level.

The difference is when Drew misses the tournament they are on the cusp and play in the NIT. I don’t think Drew has lost 18 or 19 games since his first or second year. If we were 17-14 we aren’t having this same conversation. We aren’t close at this point and that needs to change next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like Steve but if that is a real quote it pisses me off royally. Where is Ejim? We need to hire him as a practice consultant.

Not a real quote.

But his retrospective perspective sometimes sounds like he's bad at decision making.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah and I think this is Prohm's biggest weakness is putting a team together year in and year out.

If that is the biggest weakness then how the hell can we ever be a consistent program with him at helm given the current status of college basketball. Roster turnover is only going to more prevalent with the new transfer rule.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Their team gets better thru out the season! ISU even if Haliburton wasn't injured is not getting better. Hope the new recruits next season makes a difference!

Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed, but look at what Cronin is doing at UCLA. They lost to Cal State Fullerton at home three days before we lost to FAMU. They lost their first three conference games. Since then, they've gone 10-2 and are pushing for a tourney bid.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy$

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Wigs almost left for the NBA after his 1st year, and I highly doubt it was a surprise he left after spending his 2nd year coming off the bench. Why would he come back for a 3rd year to possibly not start again? THT was a top 40’s recruit who started showing up in mock drafts as a late round pick during his 1st year. Prohm surely knew that odds were high they were not coming back.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed, but look at what Cronin is doing at UCLA. They lost to Cal State Fullerton at home three days before we lost to FAMU. They lost their first three conference games. Since then, they've gone 10-2 and are pushing for a tourney bid.

They also still have a lot of talent there. 8 four stars and 3 top 50 guys.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

I am. Too many people base their expectations on what happened in the 80s and 90s. Those were 20-30 years ago. We've seen proof it's possible to win at Iowa State and yet we still have people who would be happy with 1 tournament bid every 3-4 years here.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I am. Too many people base their expectations on what happened in the 80s and 90s. Those were 20-30 years ago. We've seen proof it's possible to win at Iowa State and yet we still have people who would be happy with 1 tournament bid every 3-4 years here.

Who is saying their happy? This is another mantra that is false.

And you do realize there is a difference between winning consistently, which is possible, and top 3 seeds every year while competing for conference championships 1 out of every 4 years.

There are plenty of real legitimate reasons to criticize prohm, and wonder if he will ever get it done here (I personally don’t), and holding him, or any future coach, to standards that have never happened here.

fred got a couple of 3 seeds. The others were an 8 and a 10.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Wait....so other teams lose a large amount of players and can rebound to be in contention for an NCAA the next year? I was told it’s impossible.
Totally grinds my gears that anyone makes excuses for such a terrible coach. The first few years masked how out of his league he really is.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Totally grinds my gears that anyone makes excuses for such a terrible coach. The first few years masked how out of his league he really is.

how does no one realize pollard hired a coach who’s only real success came from billy Kennedy’s recruits and expect him to be anything but an inferior mid major level coach trying to make it in the big 12?

• Funny

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Iowa state football has won 6 games under 50% of the time so we should expect that. -CPR defenders

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bruce Weber has been to a final four and an elite eight and he misses tournaments. With Beard he has a limited sample size but what he has done to sustain them is he has recruited grad transfers at a high level compared to Prohm. Well, and he is also recruiting HS talent at a higher level.

How many Elite 8s or Final Fours does Prohm have? You can have down years when you’ve had good success.

You can’t have this many down year’s with 1 Sweet 16 under your belt with the former coach’s players.