COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
Prohm doesn't strike me as a leader who can rally a player/team/program. The culture is clearly tainted, and I don't see that changing.

A "player's coach" looks a lot better when he has a bunch of guys like Georges, Naz and Monte at practice and on the floor. All of those guys (and a number of our other recent alums...not meaning to be comprehensive) have been incredibly mature and driven individuals.

IMO, assuming Prohm is back, it's gotta fall to guys like Conditt, Rasir and Tre to grow into the team leaders, and fast. Prohm isn't a Eustachy who is going to attract and mold a group of ragtag, tough guys (which is part of why Prohm was hired). He needs some players to step up and take the lead.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I could write 1000 words on the CW column, but I'll leave it at this:

If you whiff on a recruiting class, you're in trouble.

If you whiff on legit transfers, you're in trouble.

If you whiff on developing the top100 level talent on the roster, you're in trouble.

What if you do all 3 in a single season??

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't understand why you continuously attack other posters like this.

Why would anyone on here expect a standard that exists for a handful of teams?

contend for conference championships 1 of 4 years? Top 3 seeds?

how many times has that happened in the 115 years of Iowa State basketball?

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Deep down, everybody is getting that McDermott and Rhoads feeling, whether they want to admit it or not.

IMO you really can’t compare Prohm to Rhoads or McDermott because Prohm has had a much higher level of success than either of those two. McDermott literally never had a winning season at ISU and even though Rhoads had some great moments, his team was never realistically competing for Big XII championships like CSP’s teams have at their best.

I was thinking yesterday that Prohm’s tenure is starting to remind me a bit of Travis Ford at OSU. If you recall, he had a lot of talent and success early on in his career at OSU, and sent some players to the NBA, but then he stopped getting to the NCAA tourney despite still pulling in some decent talent to Stillwater. The key to his demise was that fan and donor interest starting plummeting, and what used to be a tough environment at GIA began to erode, very fast. OSU is still recovering from that mess today and might not truly ever get it back.

I’ve heard JP state this before in interviews; it’s incredibly difficult to win a customer back once they’ve left. I just hope we don’t get a point as a fanbase where our ticket sales, donors and overall atmosphere deteriorate to a point where it will take years to gain it back. Heading into an era of uncertainty with college basketball in general with the pay to play, tv rights and one-and-done rules are up for change in the near future, things could get weird in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: 82Clone4Life

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
In college basketball all it takes is a couple guys to turn a team around.

It took bringing in 4 new starters for Prohm to turn the 17/18 team in to a .500 big 12 team the following year. Lard, NWB and Wigginton are a better trio than any we would return next year, unless Tyrese were to come back. That year he also didn't have to scramble to fill the roster in the Spring (not his strength). This is a much bigger rebuild than 2 years ago. I'm just going off of this coaching staffs history and what they would likely need to turn things around.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: awd4cy and ATCy

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

If you whiff on developing the top100 level talent on the roster, you're in trouble.

Can I add when you aren't coaching your team to keep your home court a tough place to play/losing a bunch at home in an arena that is historically known it's hard to win there for opposing teams?

Prohm is 31-16 the past three years in Hilton. That is not good.

Reactions: JBone84

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Texas Tech is a better team (and at this point a better program) then Texas, but we should not go from blowing them out by 29 to just a week later losing by 30 to Tech on the same floor.

Agree. And we've got the same "Jim's and Joe's"
suiting up.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Wait, are you talking about ISU or UNC?

• Funny
Reactions: Cloneon and Kurttr

acody

Nov 25, 2006
If hope is the only selling point going into next season there are only two available paths. Either burn the program down and start fresh with a new coach next season or get the checkbook out and buy up the best grad transfers available.

It's not necessary to over analyze the BB dilemma. In a nutshell, the TT game in itself last Saturday revealed a stark difference in the talent level and coaching of each team. Beard reloaded with great talent and is a great coach.

Reactions: MTCyclone43 and Doc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

If you lose your best player and projected lottery pick midseason, you're in trouble.

If you lose a guy to the NBA at least a year earlier than you expected, you're in trouble.

I'm not saying Prohm is blameless. Ultimately, this deeply flawed roster is his construction. But he's had a little bad luck, too. This year is way different if Horton Tucker is still here and Haliburton stays healthy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Never mind the fact that there have been media members and others that aren't "sources" sit in on his practices and say he does a great job.

naz said the practice before the Texas game was hardcore.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.
^^^^Doesn't watch NBA^^^^

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If this staff is going to stick around then serious changes need to be made. Except for Young, every player on this roster can be recruited over, and probably should be. Sounds harsh, but they aren't very good at basketball. They are all role/bench guys. Sorry, that's just what they are.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Haha, the classic "very close to the basketball program" source who themselves has to hear about the basketball program from another source.

SecondGratefulBream-size_restricted.gif

Hey, they impeached a president on this type of stuff. Surely we can get rid of a coach? No?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If this staff is going to stick around then serious changes need to be made. Except for Young, every player on this roster can be recruited over, and probably should be. Sounds harsh, but they aren't very good at basketball. They are all role/bench guys. Sorry, that's just what they are.

It's a little early to know for sure what Jackson and Grill are or aren't. About the only thing you can say for sure is that they weren't ready for the minutes they're getting now. They're true freshmen making a huge jump up in competition, and it shows.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Give me all the dumbs and dislikes, but I think we’ve started to find a bit of an identity offensively since Tyrese was injured. Solo and Jake are starting to work together better on offense. Jacobson wasn’t great at the four when we were driving and kicking, but now when we’re throwing it into Solo and Jacobson gets to cut and crash the boards he just looks so much better. Nixon also looks more confident when we’re playing out of the post rather than playing the drive and kick game Tyrese was so good at.