COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Prohm has had two of the 5 best defenses in the Ken Pom era for ISU. Eustachy had one, Morgan had one and McDermott had the other. He isn't an elite defensive coach but he isn't as bad as people on here make him out to be when he has the right guys. Last year before the team tanked later in the season I believe they were top 30 which is pretty good and they finished in the 40s. Which, if you have an elite offense should make you a pretty good team.

The unfortunate part is that this year and 2017-18 have been the worst two defenses since 2002 for Iowa State. We are a wildly inconsistent program at this point. Game to game and year to year.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.
What the hell are you talking about?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Oh its gonna be juicy.

So a close source that isn't even seeing practicing is talking about what goes on at practice.

I'm not happy with the way this season has gone but this just sounds like some BS to pile on.

Agreed. It's not like Hoiberg had some legendary intense practices. In fact it sounds like they were not all that strenuous. All of that stuff just doesn't matter. Hard practice, soft practice, etc etc. I don't care. Put a winning team on the floor.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The unfortunate part is that this year and 2017-18 have been the worst two defenses since 2002 for Iowa State. We are a wildly inconsistent program at this point. Game to game and year to year.

Very true. But I think that has more to do with his ability to put a team together on the fly as opposed to actual coaching. I think he is doesn't recruit the JUCO ranks or the transfer market well nor did he plan for the two down seasons well. Although I think part of the problem with two years ago was injuries. If everyone was healthy that year I think they would have finished been better. Not an NCAA team but an NIT team.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: isu83 and Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think this program is in a much deeper hole than a couple good transfers can dig out of. Bolton and Solo are the only two guys we can really have confidence in being solid players next year. Conditt could be in that convo but he's regressed as competition has gotten tougher.

Everyone else seems to have a role player ceiling and could be recruited over. I'm betting a couple of the rest of the guys improve but it's unrealistic to think 4 or 5 guys are all going to step up and prove themselves, especially since some have had 2 or 3 years in the program to do so. Jackson has a long ways to go but I'm probably most confident in his improvement. Everyone else is a crapshoot.

Realistically, this team needs to bring in 2 starting caliber players, ideally 2 transfers , Johnson needs to be a big 12 caliber player, a couple returning role players need to make big strides and probably 2 or 3 of the incoming fr need to be ready the day they step on campus. That's a pretty tall order and I have doubts the staff is up to but I think the only way we are sniffing the dance next year is if we're looking at:

A starting 5 of:

Bolton
Transfer
Johnson
Transfer/Blackwell
Solo

With the bench being:

Jackson
Conditt
At least 2 of the fr/TL/Zion/transfer Blackwell beats out
(Grill is at least another year from being a rotation guy IMO)

On paper, even without knowing the entire roster, this team should be longer and more athletic, a couple of shooters via transfer would be just what the dr orderd.

This is assuming we lose at least one person in addition to Tyrese, I think that's going to be the minimum but tried to include everyone above . If that isn't the case and we are only looking to replace Tyrese this spring, next year won't be much better than this year.
In college basketball all it takes is a couple guys to turn a team around.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I think this program is in a much deeper hole than a couple good transfers can dig out of. Bolton and Solo are the only two guys we can really have confidence in being solid players next year. Conditt could be in that convo but he's regressed as competition has gotten tougher.

Everyone else seems to have a role player ceiling and could be recruited over. I'm betting a couple of the rest of the guys improve but it's unrealistic to think 4 or 5 guys are all going to step up and prove themselves, especially since some have had 2 or 3 years in the program to do so. Jackson has a long ways to go but I'm probably most confident in his improvement. Everyone else is a crapshoot.

Realistically, this team needs to bring in 2 starting caliber players, ideally 2 transfers , Johnson needs to be a big 12 caliber player, a couple returning role players need to make big strides and probably 2 or 3 of the incoming fr need to be ready the day they step on campus. That's a pretty tall order and I have doubts the staff is up to but I think the only way we are sniffing the dance next year is if we're looking at:

A starting 5 of:

Bolton
Transfer
Johnson
Transfer/Blackwell
Solo

With the bench being:

Jackson
Conditt
At least 2 of the fr/TL/Zion/transfer Blackwell beats out
(Grill is at least another year from being a rotation guy IMO)

On paper, even without knowing the entire roster, this team should be longer and more athletic, a couple of shooters via transfer would be just what the dr orderd.

This is assuming we lose at least one person in addition to Tyrese, I think that's going to be the minimum but tried to include everyone above . If that isn't the case and we are only looking to replace Tyrese this spring, next year won't be much better than this year.

I 100% agree with all of this and none of it excites me. I hope I'm wrong, but we need a lot out the freshmen and/or a big surprise transfer that can play immediately.

The crappy thing with all of this is when Prohm recruited Wigginton, Lard, Horton-Tucker, and Haliburton; they were solid 4 stars and Haliburton that we expected to build the program around for multiple years. I don't think anyone expected us to have a void of talent with all of the recruiting success we've seen the last 4-5 years, which really sucks.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I agree that next year is make or break. And not just "slight improvement." We need to see something drastically better.

I'm a pretty diehard fan, but I feel my apathy creeping in. I turned the Tech games off at half and just checked the score on my phone a few more times. Which saddens me, because it's hard to get that back without a major change-up. And I really like Prohm as a person.
I did exactly the same, and this is the first season in my life that I have not really watched games.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
In college basketball all it takes is a couple guys to turn a team around.

So which of the following do you not think is not needed for hope next season? One or more the four frosh to excel, add a JC or transfer, or shake up the assistant coaching staff?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.

This post says 1) you don't watch basketball at any level 2) you definitely haven't been paying attention to Big 12 basketball in the past decade

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
So which of the following do you not think is not needed for hope next season? One or more the four frosh to excel, add a JC or transfer, or shake up the assistant coaching staff?

Staff. A shakeup would not add to my hope. You need jims and joes. They could hire Coach K but if they don't have legit Big 12 guys, they aren't going anywhere.
If you have a star Freshman and a really good immediately eligible transfer you should be able to make the tournament. That is assuming guys like Young, Conditt and Bolton continue to improve.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If I'm JP, I have a meeting with Prohm the day after the season ends and ask him how his team is going the get better defensively. If he starts with the "we have to get tougher" crap, I tell him to leave and come back tomorrow with an actual plan.

You don’t think they already communicate about every single detail of the program?

jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Texas Tech is a better team (and at this point a better program) then Texas, but we should not go from blowing them out by 29 to just a week later losing by 30 to Tech on the same floor.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We need to have a coach that can bring in talent and coach it well enough that the regular season conference championship is a realistic goal at least 1 out of 4 years. That means a 3 seed at worst for the NCAA tourney, or a sweet 16 or better. That is what Hoiberg and the ISU athletic dept. and fanbase had built a few short years ago.

Ask yourselves, would you bet on Prohm ever doing those things in the near future at ISU?

It is like the KC Chiefs. They had a proven QB that could win their division and maybe one playoff game. They understood that wasn't good enough and took a huge risk. How did that turn out?

Deep down, everybody is getting that McDermott and Rhoads feeling, whether they want to admit it or not.

This is really dumb and you should feel bad for posting it

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
What I don't want to see is the fence-sitting. If it is OK for ISU to make a change after next year, then it might as well be done now. Or, if ISU believes in Steve Prohm as the head coach of this program, then go ahead and extend him again after this season.

Having Steve Prohm exist in a state of coaching purgatory next year does nothing to advance ISU basketball...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron