COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I feel like when the Matt, Naz, and Monte left the culture went with it. We needed a guy like Shayok to be playing more than just the one year. Or Haliburton to play more than 2 so it could help establish a culture again. Those seem to me to be the only great “culture” guys Prohm has brought in and they both are (probably) gone in two years. Not enough to gain a strong foothold.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
The rest of this season, honestly just doesn't even matter. The only thing that matters is putting a competitive team on the floor next season.

And I disagree the fans are giving a mulligan on this season. This kind of season leaves an after taste, one that is only washed out with something really sweet after.

Agree. 2017-18 was the “mulligan” season. This year was just an outright failure,

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
We need to have a coach that can bring in talent and coach it well enough that the regular season conference championship is a realistic goal at least 1 out of 4 years. That means a 3 seed at worst for the NCAA tourney, or a sweet 16 or better. That is what Hoiberg and the ISU athletic dept. and fanbase had built a few short years ago.

Ask yourselves, would you bet on Prohm ever doing those things in the near future at ISU?

It is like the KC Chiefs. They had a proven QB that could win their division and maybe one playoff game. They understood that wasn't good enough and took a huge risk. How did that turn out?

Deep down, everybody is getting that McDermott and Rhoads feeling, whether they want to admit it or not.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think that was pretty spot on. On your radio show yesterday you and Ross mentioned the difficulty of finding words to describe the TTU game. It's not like there was a lack of desire there. You didn't get the sense they gave up. But it was just...bad. It was just about as bad of basketball as I can ever remember seeing an Iowa State team play. Bad defense. Bad planning. Bad shot selection. Just bad.

I'm just afraid that with most fans the ship has sailed with Prohm. Personally, this season has deflated my opinion on him as a coach to the point that it would take something very significant next year to win me back over. But I also agree that change just for the sake of change is not always good.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have a source very close to the basketball program. They have heard from staff that there is no structure in practices. Not surprising given the product on the court. I knew we were in for a very long season, we will be next year as well. This direction won't change until Prohm is gone.

I do often find myself thinking during games "what exactly do we practice...?"

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I have a source very close to the basketball program. They have heard from staff that there is no structure in practices. Not surprising given the product on the court. I knew we were in for a very long season, we will be next year as well. This direction won't change until Prohm is gone.

Haha, the classic "very close to the basketball program" source who themselves has to hear about the basketball program from another source.

SecondGratefulBream-size_restricted.gif

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Deep down, everybody is getting that McDermott and Rhoads feeling, whether they want to admit it or not.

He's had his good moments, and it's not as if this is the second or third season in a row of disappointing results. That alone sets him apart from Rhoads and McDermott. But he has to be careful; another season like this one and it's no longer a blip or coincidence. 20-21 is shaping up to be huge for his future in Ames.
I think part of the problem has been that the lows over the years have been really, really low. The losses at Hilton piling up are what's particularly galling. Down years and off nights are understandable. Stuff happens. But losing to schools like UW-Milwaukee, FAMU, and thirty point losses at Hilton regardless of opponent shouldn't happen, ever.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Oh its gonna be juicy.

So a close source that isn't even seeing practicing is talking about what goes on at practice.

I'm not happy with the way this season has gone but this just sounds like some BS to pile on.
Never mind the fact that there have been media members and others that aren't "sources" sit in on his practices and say he does a great job.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If I'm JP, I have a meeting with Prohm the day after the season ends and ask him how his team is going the get better defensively. If he starts with the "we have to get tougher" crap, I tell him to leave and come back tomorrow with an actual plan.

Prohm has had two of the 5 best defenses in the Ken Pom era for ISU. Eustachy had one, Morgan had one and McDermott had the other. He isn't an elite defensive coach but he isn't as bad as people on here make him out to be when he has the right guys. Last year before the team tanked later in the season I believe they were top 30 which is pretty good and they finished in the 40s. Which, if you have an elite offense should make you a pretty good team.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Never mind the fact that there have been media members and others that aren't "sources" sit in on his practices and say he does a great job.

And there are ways to actually see good portions of practices yourself.

There is clearly something missing in how we practice and prepare, but to imply it's just an open gym and no structure isn't accurate.

• Funny
Reactions: isu83

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I feel like when the Matt, Naz, and Monte left the culture went with it. We needed a guy like Shayok to be playing more than just the one year. Or Haliburton to play more than 2 so it could help establish a culture again. Those seem to me to be the only great “culture” guys Prohm has brought in and they both are (probably) gone in two years. Not enough to gain a strong foothold.

I feel like Conditt can be one of those guys and Jackson as well. But I agree it would help if Haliburton was here longer.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The culture sold to recruits is "you will get to the NBA".

That says 1) no defense; 2) ignore the coach; and 3) one-on-one, jack the 3 offense.

The problem is for football and basketball - we are on the north end of a no-name conference that is about 6th best in the country.

"Hey, you get to go to the state of Kansas twice !! AND play TCU !!! you will be on National TV every game !!"

Ha.
Wow, this is dumb.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think this program is in a much deeper hole than a couple good transfers can dig out of. Bolton and Solo are the only two guys we can really have confidence in being solid players next year. Conditt could be in that convo but he's regressed as competition has gotten tougher.

Everyone else seems to have a role player ceiling and could be recruited over. I'm betting a couple of the rest of the guys improve but it's unrealistic to think 4 or 5 guys are all going to step up and prove themselves, especially since some have had 2 or 3 years in the program to do so. Jackson has a long ways to go but I'm probably most confident in his improvement. Everyone else is a crapshoot.

Realistically, this team needs to bring in 2 starting caliber players, ideally 2 transfers , Johnson needs to be a big 12 caliber player, a couple returning role players need to make big strides and probably 2 or 3 of the incoming fr need to be ready the day they step on campus. That's a pretty tall order and I have doubts the staff is up to but I think the only way we are sniffing the dance next year is if we're looking at:

A starting 5 of:

Bolton
Transfer
Johnson
Transfer/Blackwell
Solo

With the bench being:

Jackson
Conditt
At least 2 of the fr/TL/Zion/transfer Blackwell beats out
(Grill is at least another year from being a rotation guy IMO)

On paper, even without knowing the entire roster, this team should be longer and more athletic, a couple of shooters via transfer would be just what the dr orderd.

This is assuming we lose at least one person in addition to Tyrese, I think that's going to be the minimum but tried to include everyone above . If that isn't the case and we are only looking to replace Tyrese this spring, next year won't be much better than this year.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Prohm has had two of the 5 best defenses in the Ken Pom era for ISU. Eustachy had one, Morgan had one and McDermott had the other. He isn't an elite defensive coach but he isn't as bad as people on here make him out to be when he has the right guys. Last year before the team tanked later in the season I believe they were top 30 which is pretty good and they finished in the 40s. Which, if you have an elite offense should make you a pretty good team.

Comparing him to Morgan and Hoiberg and saying he got two good years isn't very telling imo. Last year we had a strong defensive team. I think that can be highly attributed to having 1) a transfer from one of the best defensive programs in the country and 2) a group of players with well above average length and athleticism. Length can cover up a lot of errors in scheme.

I will defend Prohm's ability on the offensive end, but we've never had what looked like a robust scheme on the defensive end and he's never come close to articulating what sounds like an understanding of a solid defensive plan.