Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
If I notice somebody lingering, I always ask if they want to work in. The only thing i don't like about sharing a machine is having to readjust it before each set. Not a big deal for something like lat pulls or rows, but on leg extensions or leg curls there are like 4 separate adjustments to make.

Yeah some machines have more adjustments but if you know what settings you normally use it’s not a big deal. What I hate is having to wipe their stank off before I use it.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You will have plateaus during weightloss. There are other changes going on internally that, once sorted out, will lead to further weightloss. If you've plateaued, give it a few weeks or a month to see if you start losing again. At that point you can think about making additional habit changes.
I just went through a couple month plateau but suddenly last week dropped 3 without drastically changing diet. The funny thing about it was that I missed all three of my running nights due to conflicts for the first time in quite a while but still lost.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I just went through a couple month plateau but suddenly last week dropped 3 without drastically changing diet. The funny thing about it was that I missed all three of my running nights due to conflicts for the first time in quite a while but still lost.
I'm about ready to move to the next notch in my belt. I went from needing 40 inch waist Levis to 38 and now I could squeeze into a new pair of 36 inch Levis if I wanted. I can wear my old stretched out 36 jeans.
I figure 5 more pounds and those new 36 inch should be wearable.
I've been throwing the 38 inch waist Levis in the dryer to try to tighten them up a bit as I am starting to swim in them.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I feel great! I have a ton more energy and my back and knees feel WAY better already.

I'm realizing that I kinda went about this all wrong. I tried to find different diet and workout regimens that I hear guys like Joe Rogan would do; it took me a few months to realize that I am not Joe Rogan. First of all, I have an addiction to fast food and soda; he doesn't. I also haven't been able to finish an intense workout since I was a freshman in college. Those "grand plans" weren't working for me.

The big epiphany came when I downloaded the underarmour fitness app. I tracks your weight, calories consumed and calories burned through steps and workout that you record; there's probably dozens of apps that do the same thing. I went to McDonald's one day (after I felt sorry for myself) and I decided to put my meal into the system. I was shocked. My meal (which is what I would usually get) was around 2,100 calories. ONE MEAL. OVER THE RECOMMENDED CALORIC INTAKE. I was floored, because I had already planned on going to Chipotle that night and making cookies for my wife (which I would have to eat a few).

I had no idea that I was eating THAT many calories.

So now the plan is just try to eat relative clean food from home and record everything I eat. I go workout after I've eaten everything I am going to eat that day just say I can't convince myself that a hard workout = eat trash.

We got this guys.
This really makes me happy. Trying to do too much too soon can be overwhelming. Starting with the basics of tracking your food and you can make improvements from there!

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Logging calories has been an eye opener

I'm able to be full most days on 1700-1800 calories if I make the right choices. Just logging calories forces me to make the right choices and measure portion sizes.

I had to be in the 3000-3500 calorie a day ballpark.

Now with the Garmin to help track exercise and the Myfitnesspal app for the diet.....good things.....and lower carbs have helped my digestion issues a whole lot.

Keep fighting the fight, Comrades

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Logging calories has been an eye opener

I'm able to be full most days on 1700-1800 calories if I make the right choices. Just logging calories forces me to make the right choices and measure portion sizes.

I had to be in the 3000-3500 calorie a day ballpark.

Now with the Garmin to help track exercise and the Myfitnesspal app for the diet.....good things.....and lower carbs have helped my digestion issues a whole lot.

Keep fighting the fight, Comrades

I don't quite go into 'logging' mode for calories but definitely make note of it to have a rough estimate.

Helps me from a day-to-day basis as well, i.e. if I know I ate heavy one day, the next day I know to simply not eat much because I don't need it.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
maybe the thread for this.......my fitbit is dying on me and I don't think I want to replace it with another one though I like their tracking. Trialing a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 and a Garmin Venu. Think I like the Active 2 better though I don't think the tracking is as accurate and it needs more frequent charging. I'm really liking the smart features on the Active despite not thinking I'd use it much.

Anyone have something they really love?
I got the Versa Light for myself because i wanted the look of a full watch (since i wore a watch beforehand) and still be able to track my exercise and more importantly my sleep.I really like it alot. If you would like more of the smart functions that an apple watch has, then the versa 2 would be the one for that

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I got the Versa Light for myself because i wanted the look of a full watch (since i wore a watch beforehand) and still be able to track my exercise and more importantly my sleep.I really like it alot. If you would like more of the smart functions that an apple watch has, then the versa 2 would be the one for that

ugh, I didn't love the look of the Versa and had read a lot of people having issues with those breaking. I do love the sleep tracking though, the Samsung I'm trialing definitely isn't as good at that and always lower on steps.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
ugh, I didn't love the look of the Versa and had read a lot of people having issues with those breaking. I do love the sleep tracking though, the Samsung I'm trialing definitely isn't as good at that and always lower on steps.
I'm obsessed with the sleep tracking function and making sure i'm getting proper sleep after having listened to some podcast on how critical it is. I totally get you don't like the look though as i'm not majorly sold on it myself. I got some different bands for it which have helped though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm obsessed with the sleep tracking function and making sure i'm getting proper sleep after having listened to some podcast on how critical it is. I totally get you don't like the look though as i'm not majorly sold on it myself. I got some different bands for it which have helped though.

that podcast would probably tell me I've lost 15 years off my life at this point :confused: My fitbit still tracks (display is gone though) so I've thought about continuing to wear it at night so I can keep comparing. The Versa does some of the smart stuff right? I don't think I can get past the look though. I really didn't love it when I tried it on. And just kind of giant on my wrist.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
For you guys complaining about "bodybuilder types" hogging the machines, remember everyone has different goals. And achieving those different goals requires different approaches. You want general fitness - circuit style training is great for you. Some guys want to get huge - that requires higher intensity and volume, which necessitates longer rest periods. Some guys want to get maximize their strength - that requires even higher intensity and even longer rest periods. You could probably figure out a pretty good circuit that is all dumbell/barbell work, skipping all the machines (and hitting your core and stabilizers better). You could even do a bodyweight circuit - no more waiting for equipment ever.

We spent $120 on flooring, $500 on dumbells, and a small amount on a pullup bar/resistance bands. That along with a Beachbody subscription pales in comparison to a gym membership and as far as workouts for overall health, we can do anything we want without ever having to deal with a packed gym or machine availability. For anyone who wants to avoid the gym and has an extra bedroom, you can do it very affordably. ****, you wouldn't even need the dumbells for a lot of stuff.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We spent $120 on flooring, $500 on dumbells, and a small amount on a pullup bar/resistance bands. That along with a Beachbody subscription pales in comparison to a gym membership and as far as workouts for overall health, we can do anything we want without ever having to deal with a packed gym or machine availability. For anyone who wants to avoid the gym and has an extra bedroom, you can do it very affordably. ****, you wouldn't even need the dumbells for a lot of stuff.

The variety is fantastic. At the end of Liift4 and I've started to hybrid that with T25 and P90 cardio too.

I got lucky and some guy at the storage place pulled up and asked me if I wanted his weights. He didn't want to bother carrying them to his storage.

Bought a bench at an estate sale and some flooring at Costco.

Just push play, baby!

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
that podcast would probably tell me I've lost 15 years off my life at this point :confused: My fitbit still tracks (display is gone though) so I've thought about continuing to wear it at night so I can keep comparing. The Versa does some of the smart stuff right? I don't think I can get past the look though. I really didn't love it when I tried it on. And just kind of giant on my wrist.
Correct, but only the Versa 2
https://www.fitbit.com/us/products

Reactions: cowgirl836

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't want something huge on my wrist as I am pretty small boned*, but I need to get something next time with a larger display than my Charge 2 because my old man eyes can't see the damned thing! Looking at it while running is a lost cause.

*Insert TWSS joke here.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How do you make sure you get proper sleep? I pretty much toss and turn for half the night every night. Here's a screen shot of my sleep pattern from last night which is pretty typical of every night
Sleep.jpg

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

I've heard the same about sleep length and sleep quality having one of the biggest impacts on health/mood/etc. Seeing you note how obsessed you are with it reminded me of a headline I heard on the radio recently (I assume it was this or stemmed from this due to the publish date on it):

Not to say this is you since you seem to be more concerned about tracking it than trying to figure out your sleep issues. I've only done a limited trial with a tracker (didn't feel it was giving me overly accurate info) but I can see how getting a less than desirable sleep score could further stress people with sleep quality issues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How do you make sure you get proper sleep? I pretty much toss and turn for half the night every night. Here's a screen shot of my sleep pattern from last night which is pretty typical of every night
View attachment 70408
"As your attorney I advise you to drink heavily."
fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-and-wake-in-fright-2.jpg

Last edited:

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
View attachment 70408
Based on the research articles I read and listening to that podcast with Matthew Walker who's studied sleep for over 20 years, I look to quantify it with the following
1. Did I get the proper quantity of sleep? This means MINIMUM 7 hrs, but I shoot for 8
2. Did I get the proper quality of sleep? The bench marks given on the fitbit app are actually appropriate and a good comparison tool
3. How do I feel in the morning? What was my sleep score? This is a little subjective, but the first two equate to both. I want my sleep score in the 80's.
4. Make sure that all unnecessary lights in the house are off when it's dark so that the house is as dimly lit as possible.
5. I recently started using the night time red glasses to block out blue and green light. The glasses help you secrete melatonin sooner, thus, allowing you reach deep sleep quicker and more naturally. I'll be honest, I thought it was a load of bs, but I did a bunch of research and bought a reputable pair about a month ago. I wear them 2-3 hrs before i go to bed and my average weekly sleep score has improved 5 points which is massive. I may look like a dork wearing them, but the quantifiable increase in my quality of sleep is worth it.

When i look at your screenshot, the up and down pattern of moving in and out of sleep stages is normal. The only thing that is off to me is that your sleep pattern should start by you going into deep sleep (roughly 1-2 hours total for the night) followed by ending with the majority of REM sleep. You have big portions in the middle of the night where you seem to be awake for a sustained amount of time (10-15 minutes) which means you aren't getting enough deep sleep sleep (the type that is restorative and makes you not feel tired)

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I've heard the same about sleep length and sleep quality having one of the biggest impacts on health/mood/etc. Seeing you note how obsessed you are with it reminded me of a headline I heard on the radio recently (I assume it was this or stemmed from this due to the publish date on it):

Not to say this is you since you seem to be more concerned about tracking it than trying to figure out your sleep issues. I've only done a limited trial with a tracker (didn't feel it was giving me overly accurate info) but I can see how getting a less than desirable sleep score could further stress people with sleep quality issues.

I can 100% see this being an issue. Heck it probably has been me a time or two, especially on nights where i feel like i'm not falling asleep super fast!