COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Thanks, Chris. Definitely agree that we're at a bit of a crossroads, given this season's trajectory.

This off-season is HUGE for the program and for the coaching staff in particular. Lots of holes in the roster right now, but some good talent is on the way with the incoming recruits. I hope they can add some immediate impactful help to the roster. I also believe the coaching staff needs to make some changes too with their points of focus or approach to the gameplan. There's not just one singular problem right now, so it will be a significant challenge. But, with tough times it might help develop leaders in the locker room. It will be interesting to see how they come out of this. Gotta turn this thing around! Go Cyclones!

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
This does feel exactly like the years before Hoiberg took over. There just is a lack of talent on the roster and poor roster construction (3 playable centers and no power forward). It seems like a few of the players have phoned it in especially on defense. Maybe a house cleaning of the roster will help, maybe its the coaching staff, I dont know what the answer is but this isnt pretty and it was put together by the head coach.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
This may not be popular, and I firmly believe that if a coach offers a player a scholarship, then the scholarship needs to be honored for four years (I believe that was the Johnny Orr way), but maybe some of the players need to go. I know we have folks on this board that think the coach must go.

I guess that's why we have an AD. He needs to make the tough decisions. I see next year as a big year one way or the other.

Reactions: kilroy

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If hope is the only selling point going into next season there are only two available paths. Either burn the program down and start fresh with a new coach next season or get the checkbook out and buy up the best grad transfers available.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think we should just roll out an all walk on starting line up.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Well, I didn't "enjoy" it, CW, but it was spot on. Next year is definitely make or break for Prohm.

Re: this year, I just don't get how each press conference can have the same talking points (other than the TX beatdown, which included good D) - need to get better on D... I don't care if it's starting the walk-ons, play the guys who will play D, and go from there. If the schollie players don't get the message, they could have watched all year long. No/little D effort, no playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD and mb7299

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I agree that next year is make or break. And not just "slight improvement." We need to see something drastically better.

I'm a pretty diehard fan, but I feel my apathy creeping in. I turned the Tech games off at half and just checked the score on my phone a few more times. Which saddens me, because it's hard to get that back without a major change-up. And I really like Prohm as a person.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Certainly agree with the player assessment but I thought this piece missed the mark with no mention of coaching grades. Bringing in the four frosh, and maybe a JC or transfer, will certainly give hope, but a shake-up within the assistant coaching staff will as well.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I have a source very close to the basketball program. They have heard from staff that there is no structure in practices. Not surprising given the product on the court. I knew we were in for a very long season, we will be next year as well. This direction won't change until Prohm is gone.
There's no structure anywhere

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The rest of this season, honestly just doesn't even matter. The only thing that matters is putting a competitive team on the floor next season.

And I disagree the fans are giving a mulligan on this season. This kind of season leaves an after taste, one that is only washed out with something really sweet after.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Thanks, Chris. Definitely agree that we're at a bit of a crossroads, given this season's trajectory.

This off-season is HUGE for the program and for the coaching staff in particular. Lots of holes in the roster right now, but some good talent is on the way with the incoming recruits. I hope they can add some immediate impactful help to the roster. I also believe the coaching staff needs to make some changes too with their points of focus or approach to the gameplan. There's not just one singular problem right now, so it will be a significant challenge. But, with tough times it might help develop leaders in the locker room. It will be interesting to see how they come out of this. Gotta turn this thing around! Go Cyclones!

Does that include the head coach?