ISR March to Madness thread

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
UNI losing to Indiana State ALMOST ends their at-large chances. That win over Colorado isn't going to be enough on its own. If they lose in the MVC title game in some crazy close situation against Loyola, and there are almost no bid thieves, it's possible but they would be in the First Four. 4 losses in this year's MVC isn't going to cut it for getting an at-large bid.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Are you now seeing where we are all coming from saying uni can still get an at large and mvc would get 2 in at that point

No. MVC is 11th in conference RPI this year. UNI currently only 1-1 vs. Quad A. If they had beat West Virginia or not lost their last two road games in the MVC, we'd be talking but that Indiana State loss just killed any remaining hope.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
As a Panther alum and fan I will fully admit to being biased, but if UNI makes it to the MVC championship but loses to, say, Loyola I think they still have a decent chance to get an at-large bid, maybe even a First Four game similar to Belmont last season.

And again, I'm biased, but I think they would deserve a bid over Purdue or Minnesota and their combined 27 losses.

Lots of things would have to go their way for this to happen. It's not 100% impossible, but highly unlikely. Looking at only 1 Quad-1 win on the season regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Are you now seeing where we are all coming from saying uni can still get an at large and mvc would get 2 in at that point

No. Perfect storm they can MAYBE get a play in game opportunity but I still don't think that's a possibility. No chance they actually get a seed

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
No. MVC is 11th in conference RPI this year. UNI currently only 1-1 vs. Quad A. If they had beat West Virginia or not lost their last two road games in the MVC, we'd be talking but that Indiana State loss just killed any remaining hope.
As pointed out before. Multiple teams got at larges last year with worse NET rankings

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
As pointed out before. Multiple teams got at larges last year with worse NET rankings

NET isn't the only criteria the committee will use and UNI's rating will not improve much given their upcoming competition. Yes, you are technically correct here but very, very few teams with only 1 Quad-1 (used to be RPI Top 50) win will ever be selected as an at-large. I'd give them a 5% chance of everything going their way for this to happen - not impossible but highly, highly unlikely.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
For UNI to get an at large sniff, there needs to be chalk in almost every other conference tournament, and for UNI to not lose a single game until that possible championship loss.

What experts think UNI can get in without winning the Valley tourney?

Personally, I figured the Indiana State loss ended any at-large chances. But, and I know what the replies will be, Lunardi said on the broadcast Sunday that if UNI won that game and won out, until an MVC championship game loss, they would be in as an at large.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Everyone knows this, Twins is just trolling like normal saying it isn't a part of the NCAA Tournament.
Might want to have the ncaa let in on this “everyone knows” thing.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm sure Twins keeps them in his loop.
I was 100% the play-in was part of tournament until last week. NCAA website history of play in game(which I posted) changed my mind.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Might want to have the ncaa let in on this “everyone knows” thing.

I was 100% the play-in was part of tournament until last week. NCAA website history of play in game(which I posted) changed my mind.

JFC, you really aren't this dense are you? At least Twins is just trolling it and has admitted a million times the NCAA counts the field of 68 as each having an NCAA Tournament appearance.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
JFC, you really aren't this dense are you? At least Twins is just trolling it and has admitted a million times the NCAA counts the field of 68 as each having an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Chris Mullin was asked to step down after losing the play in game. If he makes the tourney he's still the coach