How does Javon Johnson look?

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
We need multiple people who can score. Anything else is a bonus. We'll never win consistent shooting 38%.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Per KenPom as of today, ISU is ranked 43rd in adjusted offense and 146th in adjusted defense. Crazy as it seems, scoring might be the least of their problems.

It absolutely is.

Our offense is fine. Offense is just down across college basketball with the extended three-point line and everybody is working out how to deal with it.

Our defense has been ******* atrocious, though.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
No, no, no.

First and foremost, we need guys that can defend. Add some defensive stops to get in transition, and this team’s offense is good enough.

I think we have guys who can defend and are willing to defend but it looks to me like we struggle with the basics sometimes. Zion G is still young and was a post player but he's particularly disappointing along with Lewis on that end.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
No, no, no.

First and foremost, we need guys that can defend. Add some defensive stops to get in transition, and this team’s offense is good enough.
I don't believe we can coach good defense. These kids certainly don't learn it in high school either.

• Agree

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
So much talk about defense but I honestly don’t think our offense is good enough either to win. In our 10 conference losses, we are averaging only 61 points per game. Yes, the defense is awful but if you’re going to average 61 points, your defense has to be Virginia level good.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Per KenPom as of today, ISU is ranked 43rd in adjusted offense and 146th in adjusted defense. Crazy as it seems, scoring might be the least of their problems.

Everyone keeps saying this but look at the points we've put up in our losses in the big 12, other than the 79 vs TCU in OT. It's 53,55,52,53,68,61,61,71 (KU was in cruise control) and 57. You can throw out any metrics you want but in the end, those point totals aren't going to get it done.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think we have guys who can defend and are willing to defend but it looks to me like we struggle with the basics sometimes. Zion G is still young and was a post player but he's particularly disappointing along with Lewis on that end.

I do not think we have any JoBo types out there -- guys so limited as athletes or in terms of size they are never going to be a remotely good defender.

We just suck at team concepts, rotations, and protecting the defensive glass. Teams get easy looks and way too many second chances on us.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
So much talk about defense but I honestly don’t think our offense is good enough either to win. In our 10 conference losses, we are averaging only 61 points per game. Yes, the defense is awful but if you’re going to average 61 points, your defense has to be Virginia level good.
Aren’t you forgetting that the easiest offense is off of defensive stops? To have an average offense despite often having to inbound the ball is pretty good.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Aren’t you forgetting that the easiest offense is off of defensive stops? To have an average offense despite often having to inbound the ball is pretty good.
Not being able to get out and run after getting a stop definitely hurts the offense. I’m not denying that. I’m just saying it’s annoying seeing Prohm and the players act like the only reason why we’re 11-16 is because of our effort on defense. This team has so many flaws in my opinion on both sides of the ball.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don't believe we can coach good defense. These kids certainly don't learn it in high school either.

It has been bad, but I think this coaching staff can put together a passable defense. Not top 25 regularly, but passable. There was a talent issue this year. We're throwing three guys out there who aren't good enough right now, plus Terrence. Also had a problem moving Jacobsen to the 4. It takes some time for post d

The coaches deserve heat for the defensive performance because it's embarrassing at times, with guys making these head scratching mistakes that I suspect a bunch of us ran a bunch of sprints for back in the day. I think Jackson and Grill both look like defenders with offensive potential, and Griffin is a guy with size who has defensive potential.

I get kind of mad at how we switch screens sometimes, these guys have to learn all these gameplans about how to defend all these guys with more years of experience and it doesn't surprise me they suck. This is a ******* hard game to master.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Dingus

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I agree but I think Prohm wants to play a style on offense that is aimed the other way around. His good teams here haven't been defensive minded, they were great offensive teams. That allowed the defense to set up which helped make them serviceable. That's not a knock on him at all, its just if you play the way his teams play offensively, you've got to be really good or you're going to put too much pressure on your defense to get stops in transition.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I agree but I think Prohm wants to play a style on offense that is aimed the other way around. His good teams here haven't been defensive minded, they were great offensive teams. That allowed the defense to set up which helped make them serviceable. That's not a knock on him at all, its just if you play the way his teams play offensively, you've got to be really good or you're going to put too much pressure on your defense to get stops in transition.
Imo that’s a stretch.

Forget about the offense. It’s like worrying about how to best spends millions in the event we win the lottery (have a competent defense). I hope we get back to a point in which we need that elite offense to overcome being just average on defense.

Reactions: heitclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Everyone keeps saying this but look at the points we've put up in our losses in the big 12, other than the 79 vs TCU in OT. It's 53,55,52,53,68,61,61,71 (KU was in cruise control) and 57. You can throw out any metrics you want but in the end, those point totals aren't going to get it done.

Yeah and also what happens in a situation when they just need a bucket?

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN

Prohm has been talking defense for years. I have yet to see that vision materialize on the court. That said I agree with you. Easier to set your defense after a made basket.

Id prefer the Chris Babb method. Get one lock down guy to slow the other team's best player anthen rebound, rebound, rebound.

• Agree

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It has been bad, but I think this coaching staff can put together a passable defense. Not top 25 regularly, but passable. There was a talent issue this year. We're throwing three guys out there who aren't good enough right now, plus Terrence. Also had a problem moving Jacobsen to the 4. It takes some time for post d

The coaches deserve heat for the defensive performance because it's embarrassing at times, with guys making these head scratching mistakes that I suspect a bunch of us ran a bunch of sprints for back in the day. I think Jackson and Grill both look like defenders with offensive potential, and Griffin is a guy with size who has defensive potential.

I get kind of mad at how we switch screens sometimes, these guys have to learn all these gameplans about how to defend all these guys with more years of experience and it doesn't surprise me they suck. This is a ******* hard game to master.

I get the "kids these days don't learn defensive fundamentals on the AAU circuit, back in my day our coaches were drilling that stuff into us for a decade even before college scouts started taking a look at us" thing that you are saying.

I wonder why everybody else isn't bad at defense then, too. We are easily the worst defensive team in the Big 12 but might be #3 on the offensive end.

• Agree

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I get the "kids these days don't learn defensive fundamentals on the AAU circuit, back in my day our coaches were drilling that stuff into us for a decade even before college scouts started taking a look at us" thing that you are saying.

I wonder why everybody else isn't bad at defense then, too. We are easily the worst defensive team in the Big 12 but might be #3 on the offensive end.

We've never been a defensive minded club, but we've had elite rebounders and high effort guys that made us tough. Especially, at home. This years club has neither. Not sure they'll have it next year.