Historic losses piling up this season...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No way. I don’t know how someone watches this team (even with Halliburton) and thinks we are one player away. We just got drilled by 30 at home against a rebuilding Tech team. And we’ve lost by 20 points to the top Big 12 teams this year. That’s not going to change with one other good player.

Last night was a result of one team that's looking to improve for the NCAA tournament (Tech) and one that's taking on water (ISU).

Remember how bad they looked a year ago and then all of the sudden looked good? Momentum and confidence play a part.

Give Haliburton a go-to for scoring and make the defense have to account for more than one player especially one that can be as dynamic as THT (when he was reaching potential) and it would be a different story.

Not saying they'd be some sort of high seed but good enough to make the field.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens and Doc

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
They've got nothing... they just feel like they are "better fans" than those of us that are disappointed with the garbage basketball we've been witnessing.

We're all disappointed. It's the expression of emotions far more drastic than disappointment that bothers me.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
AR-303049983.jpg
Had to laugh, think that’s Jon Lickliter in the foreground. Hope we never get to that level.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I think so. He's just one player, but he would have made multiple guys better, both by taking the load on offense, and because he's a good help defender. Would definitely change how teams defend us.

This team wouldn’t be much better with THT, Wiggington, and Lard.

ISU is terrible defensively and ISU is a horrendous rebounding team. This is directly the result of coaching.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think so. He's just one player, but he would have made multiple guys better, both by taking the load on offense, and because he's a good help defender. Would definitely change how teams defend us.

I disagree. I don’t think people realize just how bad this team is. After this abomination of a season plays out I’m going to look at it historically. while I am grateful for our players we also need to acknowledge how few guys getting major minutes would contribute on a decent team.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and mb7299

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don’t think there’s any guarantee that TJ will be waiting in the wings when and if we need him. He’s getting to be a pretty hot name in coaching, especially after the win at SDS. Who knows, he may be doing well enough next year that he will have his pick of programs to go to.

You could be right, he may find a better job than Iowa State's, before it comes open, that is life. But there is no guarantee that JT is going to walk into the job and turn it around either. We would also be the hook for Prohm's buyout, which was what, $6 million or so.

If JT is smart, he has to hear the rumors about ISU, and if he wants the job bad enough, he should be willing to stay put a year, and see what shakes out.
Next year he should know one way or another, if he is ever going to the be the head coach at ISU.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I mean it’s really not that far off. We would have beat FAMU and TCU on the road, but pretty much most of the rest would have still been losses, maybe just not as bad

Before TH went down, we lost the following by 6 points or less --

@ Oregon State (-6)
Florida A&M (-2)
@ TCU (-2 in OT)
@ Auburn (-4)
@ Texas (-4)

We were 10-13 (3-7) after the K-State game, which was Haliburton's last.

Give us those close losses back, and we were 15-8 (5-5) at that point.

We would have been in great shape for the NCAA tournament.

Having Horton-Tucker back, who could have been an all-conference guy, and playing him instead of Nixon and Jackson in the same minutes (and both of those guys have been essentially replacement level or slightly above it), and I have to think that you can get 2-3 possessions to go better for the cardinal and gold per game.

A nice pile of road wins like that would look good on a tournament CV.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Adding to my previous post --

If you switch those five games to wins on Bart Torvik and cancel out everything after that because of the Haliburton injury, then we end up here on bracketology...

upload_2020-2-23_19-8-49.png

We would have had a 70% chance of making the tournament, which is indeed in good shape.

The #7 seeds right now are Butler, Marquette, Illinois, and Auburn.

Those would have been winnable.

You run into a #2 quickly, but a Ro32 would have been an okay season.

Obviously none of that happened.

:(

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If you switch those five games to wins on Bart Torvik and cancel out everything after that because of the Haliburton injury, then we end up here on bracketology...

View attachment 70379

Basically if ISU had 2 NBA draft picks on it, they're likely better.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Before TH went down, we lost the following by 6 points or less --

@ Oregon State (-6)
Florida A&M (-2)
@ TCU (-2 in OT)
@ Auburn (-4)
@ Texas (-4)

We were 10-13 (3-7) after the K-State game, which was Haliburton's last.

Give us those close losses back, and we were 15-8 (5-5) at that point.

We would have been in great shape for the NCAA tournament.

Having Horton-Tucker back, who could have been an all-conference guy, and playing him instead of Nixon and Jackson in the same minutes (and both of those guys have been essentially replacement level or slightly above it), and I have to think that you can get 2-3 possessions to go better for the cardinal and gold per game.

A nice pile of road wins like that would look good on a tournament CV.

Sure but it's pretty unrealistic to expect a team to win every close game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sure but it's pretty unrealistic to expect a team to win every close game.

We somehow managed to lose all of them.

Our wins...

crushed MVSU
+18 on NIU
crushed USM
+15 on Alabama
crushed UMKC
+10 on Seton Hall
crushed PFW
+13 on Oklahoma
+7 on Oklahoma State (our closest win)
+10 on Kansas State
crushed Texas

We have a small collection of close losses but literally zero close wins.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

View attachment 70379

We would have had a 70% chance of making the tournament, which is indeed in good shape.

If we switch 5 games around in 2014-15 we win the conference and a national championship. I appreciate your stuff but you can’t really expect us to bat 1.000 on games decided by 6 points or less with CSP. I think he has proven he wins those games at 35% clip.

Last edited:

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
If we switch 5 games around in 2014-15 we win the conference and a national championship. Come on you really expect us to bat 1.000 on games decided by 6 points or less with CSP.
Exactly, I don’t understand all this “if TH was still here” nonsense. He’s not here. That’s like saying if TJ (who did grade at South Dakota State and has already turned around UNLV in the first year) was hired instead of prohm, we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in with multiple losing seasons and historic losses.

Last edited: