Expectations for 2020-2021 season

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Ejim was also only a 3 star recruit coming in and improved quite a bit over his four years here. Some of that credit goes to coaching staff

so then you’re saying this staff deserves credit for players like Nader, Burton, Naz, and Thomas?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
My expectations: not too high unless we can land two quality immediately eligible transfers.

I’m not convinced that we can do that.

We will land some mid-level, mid-major-type guys and people will think they somehow will magically become top-half power 5 guys, giving us a chance for the tourney.

We need high-level transfers and I don’t see us being in a position to get them.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I expect some sort of post season appearance whether NCAA, or NIT. Failing that, Prohm should be fired, as no discernable improvement is made.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
so then you’re saying this staff deserves credit for players like Nader, Burton, Naz, and Thomas?

After watching Prohm here for 5 years... I do not think player development is a strength of his. We’ve had too many players regress or fail to develop these past three years.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Horton-Tucker might have been the best player on the team this year. He was the match-up nightmare and bowling ball in the full-court, similar to a Deonte Burton, that this team is missing. He is hard to guard in the half-court and has the length/bulk to match-up with similar match-up problem guys on defense. He changes everything.

Haliburton is great but a true PG and has to have others around him making shots for his game to work. Bolton is a good scorer and shooter, but he is not really a match-up problem and is drawing better defenders than if THT were around. Put him on an opponents' second or third best perimeter defender, and he probably can up his game, too, obviously on offense but also making him easier to hide on defense for the same reason.

A team like this --

Haliburton
Bolton
Horton-Tucker
Jacobson
Young
---
Nixon
Lewis
Conditt

...probably does a lot better.

I would probably start THT at the 4 and roll small, but Prohm has a weird thing for Jacobson so I kept him in that starting lineup. See this analysis --

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...r-67-iowa-state-53.254640/page-9#post-7008481

tl;dr =

We go from #9 or #10 in the conference to something like #5. We would be between Texas Tech and OU right now, which means an NCAA birth.
My point was that nobody expected LW to be here for the 19-20 season, so Prohm should have been preparing for that since he signed (no guarantees but that should have been looked at as an unexpected bonus). Of course we are better with THT being here, but to unexpectedly lose a single, non-PG player and fall into the utter depths we have is pretty bad.

P5 coaches need to be able to prepare for a single unexpected loss of a good player.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You can't dismiss LW leaving early, even if he was expected to leave. You still have to replace a top player. Losing THT early simply compounded the problem.

There's no question that next year has to be better, probably much better. We do have some very nice players coming in, and a nice sit out with the wing size we've been missing in Johnson. We do need to find an immediately eligible transfer that will be a contributor this spring too, and we'll need every returner to step up.

lindell would have been served well to come back after his injury. He would have had all the shots he could ever want

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I now have so much more time available to me. It's pretty easy to tell within the first quarter of a game if this team is going to compete. They have shown no ability to dig out of a hole. I know if they get more than 10 pts down it is unlikely they can recover, so I feel little need to subject myself to the rest of the game. I record them, just in case I'm wrong, but haven't needed to watch a game on DVR yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron