Disagree.

last 6 ISU coaches win %
Hoiberg .673
Floyd .633
Eustachy .631
Morgan .585
Prohm .580
McDermott .456

yes I know Steve has taken teams to ncaa tournament, yes I know he has 2 big 12 tournament championships. Steve has had incredible highs, he’s also had some astounding lows, let’s weigh all those things when viewing Steve Prohm as a coach
Yeah he has had some lows but for a five year period he has more tournament champions than Floyd and has a more difficult schedule. And I doubt anyone thinks Prohm has a better resume than Morgan. And if you look at Floyd’s resume it was only four years his percentage would have went down after that fifth year.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
CW said this on his AMA podcast --

Best case: "They make the NCAA tournament."

Worst case: "They win 3-5 games in the Big 12. Steve gets fired."

He also said something like, "A lot of this comes down to how Hilton reacts."

There's no small element of this in play --

Reactions: MTCyclone43

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
if we had LW or THT this year......we would still suck. both of those guys were turnover prone, took bad shots, and were horrendous on defense.

prohm is actually getting a break with those guys leaving. we'd be much more angry had one of those guys stayed.

man if only one of those guys could've scored 31 last night we would've been ok.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
My only expectation is for prohm to have some resemblance of a plan going into the season. You have 2 7footers and solo who a lot of the offense should continue to run through. A few guards chucking threes is not a real offense. I expect to see solo and another big on the floor at the same time. If he does that I’ll cut him some slack if not they should just fire him early season. No reason conditt and solo havent seen the floor together this year especially considering next years roster. I doubt prohms ability to adjust his plan to his roster. He’s seemed like a one trick pony and that trick appeared to be telling good shooters to shoot..

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We need another Deandre Kane who can run the team, provide leadership and toughness and just be a little nasty.

Actually the biggest thing this team needs is a leader who’s actually a leader. A mentally tough would run through a wall guy that would do whatever is necessary to win.

unfortunately Maryal was never in that position at Virginia, and was a quiet guy. Part of what happened last year. Tyrese is a nice kid, great teammate, and loves Iowa State. But he’s not that guy either.

it could be George, he needs to channel his aggression better though. He seems a bit immature on the court. Will be interesting to see how he comes back next year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It’s looking like Young could have a big Senior year.

He has definitely established himself as the best player on the team. Hopefully he becomes more vocal and really takes the leadership mantle.

I like Rasir, and realize he is in a tough spot. But he is another one that really needs to toughen up and start to lead as well.

this will be a really interesting offseason.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Disagree.

last 6 ISU coaches win %
Hoiberg .673
Floyd .633
Eustachy .631
Morgan .585
Prohm .580
McDermott .456

yes I know Steve has taken teams to ncaa tournament, yes I know he has 2 big 12 tournament championships. Steve has had incredible highs, he’s also had some astounding lows, let’s weigh all those things when viewing Steve Prohm as a coach
woof think of how good Fred would have been had he inherited what prohm did. Instead of DG and a bunch of C team allstars.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: Cy$ and Cat Stevens

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Prohm's had a really unlucky combination and bad timing for really good players leaving early or busting on freshmen that never really develop at any point.

It is ultimately his fault, yes, but most a few players around 1-2 years to stagger the talent gaps or have one or two of the early departures stick around, and this roster looks really different and we are probably at least competitive right now.
The only surprise early departure that affected this year was THT leaving after 1 year. LW was always thought to be 2 and done. TH leaving early doesn’t hurt till next year. Lard couldn’t have been a surprise within the program and was a gamble since before he got here.

If one player leaving early causes your program to crater you’ve got a problem.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hated to lose Haliburton as he was a fun player to watch but I think this team improves more the rest of the year without him. The other guys have to step up and not expect Tyrese to do it all. Thanks Tyrese you are a great Cyclone!
This is true. Everyone has elevated their play, not drastically but it's at least a start. Jackson is looking more fluid, Grill made some nice passes in the last few games, Lewis has scored his highest to date, Young is looking stronger by the day, Jacobsen has had a bit of a resurrection. Not good enough obviously, this team has gaping holes from all the people that left last season. Hoping this new class will be ready to go, and Prohm can find a way to get more out of his guys early in the season.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
The only surprise early departure that affected this year was THT leaving after 1 year. LW was always thought to be 2 and done. TH leaving early doesn’t hurt till next year. Lard couldn’t have been a surprise within the program and was a gamble since before he got here.

I am pretty sure I read something that when THT committed he said he would like to be a 2 and done. If he stays ISU is the team we have minus Grill...So you would have 2 (most likely) 1st round picks. THT would be the ball dominate go get a bucket player, TH gets to be the facilitator and spot up guy...Bolton is the third option and everyone else drops in the pecking order....not sure what I am getting at but with how CSP thought this roster was going to look last fall it didn't really give him a chance to get a replacement player. Instead he got a more than likely 4 year role player in Grill.
When this class was signed it seemed to me that he was getting guys that would be the 7-10 guys of the bench and be able to be able to develop this year and contribute next year and beyond and be more the staple in the program. Again not sure where I am getting at but these are my thoughts.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Ok well if the don’t count when you are the one coaching, when do they count?

the only ones that count are the ones that forward their agenda.

my favorite is that the first team he coached here was like duke.

but during the off-season before, no one though Nader was an nba player, no one knew much about Burton, and Matt Thomas was a bust

but facts aren’t really accepted here anymore.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
Fred also inherited four years of Ejim which was pretty huge.
This is also something to consider and it's an excuse...CSP had zero freshmen and only NWB as a underclassmen on hisf team at ISU... SOLO amd T Lew( if he stays) will be the first guys CSP will have go all the way through the program in 6 years. The 17-18 was a short sighted down year but until this program gets 4 years guys in the system we will struggle.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I am pretty sure I read something that when THT committed he said he would like to be a 2 and done. If he stays ISU is the team we have minus Grill...So you would have 2 (most likely) 1st round picks. THT would be the ball dominate go get a bucket player, TH gets to be the facilitator and spot up guy...Bolton is the third option and everyone else drops in the pecking order....not sure what I am getting at but with how CSP thought this roster was going to look last fall it didn't really give him a chance to get a replacement player. Instead he got a more than likely 4 year role player in Grill.
When this class was signed it seemed to me that he was getting guys that would be the 7-10 guys of the bench and be able to be able to develop this year and contribute next year and beyond and be more the staple in the program. Again not sure where I am getting at but these are my thoughts.

because what you wrote was completely accurate.

coming out of high school, THT was a 2 and done guy. Hell, Tyrese was considered a 4 year player.

griffin had good offers, and Conditt did as well.

that was the foundation of the next 2-4 years when they signed.

unfortunately that timeline didn’t happen.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I expect ISU will have an even worse defensive efficiency rating (147th nationally now) because Steve Prohm will still be the head coach

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

You can't dismiss LW leaving early, even if he was expected to leave. You still have to replace a top player. Losing THT early simply compounded the problem.

There's no question that next year has to be better, probably much better. We do have some very nice players coming in, and a nice sit out with the wing size we've been missing in Johnson. We do need to find an immediately eligible transfer that will be a contributor this spring too, and we'll need every returner to step up.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Horton-Tucker might have been the best player on the team this year. He was the match-up nightmare and bowling ball in the full-court, similar to a Deonte Burton, that this team is missing. He is hard to guard in the half-court and has the length/bulk to match-up with similar match-up problem guys on defense. He changes everything.

Haliburton is great but a true PG and has to have others around him making shots for his game to work. Bolton is a good scorer and shooter, but he is not really a match-up problem and is drawing better defenders than if THT were around. Put him on an opponents' second or third best perimeter defender, and he probably can up his game, too, obviously on offense but also making him easier to hide on defense for the same reason.

A team like this --

Haliburton
Bolton
Horton-Tucker
Jacobson
Young
---
Nixon
Lewis
Conditt

...probably does a lot better.

I would probably start THT at the 4 and roll small, but Prohm has a weird thing for Jacobson so I kept him in that starting lineup. See this analysis --

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...r-67-iowa-state-53.254640/page-9#post-7008481

tl;dr =

We go from #9 or #10 in the conference to something like #5. We would be between Texas Tech and OU right now, which means an NCAA birth.

Last edited: