WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I thought the ladies streak of 794 straight games with a three was impressive until I saw the men's streak. Vandy just fell out of a tie for that streak at the end of January when it had hit 1080 games. Princeton and UNLV hold the record now having hit a three in EVERY game since the trey was implemented in 1986.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Simpson women 109 Nebraska Wesleyan 84. Why posted? Because I went to the game. The men's game was actually more interesting 14-0 (in conference) NWU got beat 86-59by 5-9 Simpson. Simpson lead start to finish and usually by 15+.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Simpson women 109 Nebraska Wesleyan 84. Why posted? Because I went to the game. The men's game was actually more interesting 14-0 (in conference) NWU got beat 86-59by 5-9 Simpson. Simpson lead start to finish and usually by 15+.

Illinois State has their Iowa trip this week. Playing UNI tomorrow and Drake Saturday and I'm going to both games as a former Nevada prep plays for Redbirds. Of course Illinois State gets to play at Drake on Drake's senior day. Since Hittner and Rhine both hit 2,000 career points Drake is giving away 2,000 free tickets to the game.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Illinois State has their Iowa trip this week. Playing UNI tomorrow and Drake Saturday and I'm going to both games as a former Nevada prep plays for Redbirds. Of course Illinois State gets to play at Drake on Drake's senior day. Since Hittner and Rhine both hit 2,000 career points Drake is giving away 2,000 free tickets to the game.

Well the cost of the Drake game will be right ;).

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Back home from Cedar Falls. Illinois State got UNI in OT 69 - 61. The Illinois State section was basically family and friends of the two Iowa girls on the redbirds roster, Crompton and Koudelka. Both responded with solid games scoring 13 and 14 points respectively. Billy and Carper were there from ISU.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
  • Agree
Reactions: farm85

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Entitled??!

Yup. They are disappointing this year, "less than the sum of their parts" as I have coined it here in a few posts but in the previous four years in March they have gone Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Sweet Sixteen and Sweet Sixteen. Final Top 10 two of last three years. Maybe the posters over their are all really old dudes than remember dominating the SW Conference 30 years ago. :rolleyes:

• Informative

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Karen is at least doing far better than their previous coach, Gail Goestenkors. GG never won more than 22 games in a season, only advanced past the NCAA 1st round once (with Conradt's players), and never finished better than 4th in the league. By comparison, Aston has average 26 wins over the previous five seasons (not counting her first year when they had a losing record using Goestenkor's scraps), and done reasonably well in the postseason, as Boxster mentioned. Wouldn't it be great to complain about a coach who "only" did that well? This year, the Longhorns especially reflect the joyless, muted expressions of Aston on the court - no personality, emotion, or charisma whatsoever. She won't get canned - yet. There is too much recent success (by most standards) for them to part ways unless Aston is the one to make that move herself.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Karen is at least doing far better than their previous coach, Gail Goestenkors. GG never won more than 22 games in a season, only advanced past the NCAA 1st round once (with Conradt's players), and never finished better than 4th in the league. By comparison, Aston has average 26 wins over the previous five seasons (not counting her first year when they had a losing record using Goestenkor's scraps), and done reasonably well in the postseason, as Boxster mentioned. Wouldn't it be great to complain about a coach who "only" did that well? This year, the Longhorns especially reflect the joyless, muted expressions of Aston on the court - no personality, emotion, or charisma whatsoever. She won't get canned - yet. There is too much recent success (by most standards) for them to part ways unless Aston is the one to make that move herself.
Her contract is out this year. They may renew, but why haven't they already. It hurt her in recruiting this year. She was not able to get the high rated players she's been roping in. Of course it hasn't done much good for them to have the high ranked classes. But there's not any happy fans down there. I've been there three times this year, all 3 losses and when you see the expression on their faces as they leave you'd think they were headed to a Nazi Concentration Camp.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and farm85

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Her contract is out this year. They may renew, but why haven't they already. It hurt her in recruiting this year. She was not able to get the high rated players she's been roping in. Of course it hasn't done much good for them to have the high ranked classes. But there's not any happy fans down there. I've been there three times this year, all 3 losses and when you see the expression on their faces as they leave you'd think they were headed to a Nazi Concentration Camp.
That's interesting - didn't know they hadn't renewed the contract yet. I'd say that's a rather ominous sign for her. Aston seems genuinely unpleasant, based only on the little I've seen of her away from the sideline (and seeing her there certainly doesn't help my impression any), so I can't say I'd want to head anywhere that staff was going, especially after a loss.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

• Funny

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
TCU is now ranked #25 in the AP poll at 20-5.

Only four teams received votes outside the top 25.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
TCU is now ranked #25 in the AP poll at 20-5.

Only four teams received votes outside the top 25.

:eek:

Might make for a really weak field in the NCAA's this year. Seems really unbalanced. TCU did deserve to sneak into the Top 25.

Dang, PAC-12 is so strong that 8-8 Oregon State logs in at #17.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames