This is why Prohm must go........

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
It would be really interesting to know his thought process sometimes.

No matter how bad nixon played the 1st half of the year steve refused to take him out. It was driving me absolutely nuts. Then the game at texas he finally benches him. Nixon comes off the bench and plays his best half of basketball of the year BY FAR in the 1st half. I was thinking ok, he has found his role. Maybe we have something here. He didn't play a minute in the 2nd half. I honestly have no idea what he is doing during games between timeouts, playcalling and substitutions.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Solomon Young was having a really good game tonight and Prohm had him on the bench for a long stretch in the 2nd half when Tech started to pull away. It's not the first time he has sat a hot player for more than just a little breather. Makes no sense.

I mentioned this a few games ago and was met with something snarky about solo being big and needing a rest every once in a while.. it was the first 5 min of the game. Ended up not needing him that game. But still his long stints on the bench coincide to often with long bad stretches of basketball for Iowa state.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m fine with giving Prohm another season to try and coach/recruit his way out of this (Pollard will give him two), but I do not look forward to being talked down to by Pollard via email, Twitter, Tailgate Tours, etc.

Unfortunately, Pollard is the type of person that you just have to take the good with the bad.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This may seem nitpicky but does anyone notice the lack of interaction between prohm and the players as they get subbed out. I think of Izzo pulling a guy and being right in their ear sometimes heated sometimes less. I don’t ever see this out of prohm. It’s usually an assistant if at all. I want to see more coaching throughout the game even in the spot we are in.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
This may seem nitpicky but does anyone notice the lack of interaction between prohm and the players as they get subbed out. I think of Izzo pulling a guy and being right in their ear sometimes heated sometimes less. I don’t ever see this out of prohm. It’s usually an assistant if at all. I want to see more coaching throughout the game even in the spot we are in.

When he pulled Grill out one time he had a long talk with him for some reason. Grill didn't look too interested in hearing what he had to say though.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
When he pulled Grill out one time he had a long talk with him for some reason. Grill didn't look too interested in hearing what he had to say though.
This might be the most worrisome thing. If players are tuning him out, it doesn't bode well for next year.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015

my god. Can we stop pretending we know what goes on inside the program. The biggest worrisome thing to me is Tyrese wearing a shirt that says “Cyclones vs the world.” At this point, “the world” is the fan base and that is just sad. We should either support these kids and this program or find something better to do with our time.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
my god. Can we stop pretending we know what goes on inside the program. The biggest worrisome thing to me is Tyrese wearing a shirt that says “Cyclones vs the world.” At this point, “the world” is the fan base and that is just sad. We should either support these kids and this program or find something better to do with our time.
You realize Tyrese already wore that shirt like 2 months ago? Was he talking about the fan base then too? Also, Not enjoying the season =/= not supporting the players. That’s like saying because I disagreed with the Iraq war that I don’t support the troops.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

While you’re completely correct, that’s not what happens here.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You realize Tyrese already wore that shirt like 2 months ago? Was he talking about the fan base then too? Also, Not enjoying the season =/= not supporting the players. That’s like saying because I disagreed with the Iraq war that I don’t support the troops.

You think this sentiment is new? You think they weren’t aware of what the “fanatics” were saying about Prohm last year? The year before when they were being recruited? The year before that?

you think they, or their parents, don’t look around social media when they’re looking at schools.

seeing their coach called a worthless **** isn’t subtle. And it’s not a recent phenomenon here either.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
This might be the most worrisome thing. If players are tuning him out, it doesn't bode well for next year.

You watched the whole team turn on him last year. It is same story this year. It will be the same next year.

There are two type of coaches. Ones that are feared and ones that are respected. Steve gets some respect but he’s on on the level to the way guys talk about Johnny, Fred, etc.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I lost faith 3 years ago when it took a full half before Coach recognized Purdue couldn't guard Burton. Not even that fat 1st round bust Swanigan. Can anyone honestly tell me what the identity is of ISU basketball now? Oh, and want to feel bad about how far we have fallen? Watch these highlights:

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Do I think Prohm is a good long term solution? No.

But if you can him this year you're paying a substantial buyout, blowing up a top 25 recruiting class, sending Xavier Foster straight to your arch-rival in Iowa City and putting the MBB program into a multi-year abyss. Keeping him at least places some chance of a turn around next year. You fire him and the cupboard will be empty and tough to reload.

Sometimes you're stuck with bad options and just have to choose what isn't the worst.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
I lost faith 3 years ago when it took a full half before Coach recognized Purdue couldn't guard Burton. Not even that fat 1st round bust Swanigan. Can anyone honestly tell me what the identity is of ISU basketball now? Oh, and want to feel bad about how far we have fallen? Watch these highlights:

This 100% correct

Reactions: BringBackJohnny

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Right now nobody, neither the players ...asst coaches or the fans are listening to anything that prohm has to say....we are all tuning prohm out and "Playing Out the String", as they say....This is typical of Losing Programs late in the season..

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: isu83 and Lineup