Gilbert tournament Saturday

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Seen Dresser mentioned some of our starters are staying back Saturday to get matches. Any idea who else will be attending??

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So this makeshift tournament wrestling mostly our own teammates will count towards the number of matches.

it is for our benefit, but expect a few more starters From other schools that need Allocation help & some more backups

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
it is for our benefit, but expect a few more starters From other schools that need Allocation help & some more backups
South Dakota State has a wrestler or two on the fringe, so this may help gain an allocation.

North Dakota State has a wrestler or two on the fringe. Since they will be here Sunday, they might bring a few for Saturday?

Okie State will be in Iowa City Sunday night, they would benefit by sending Joe Smith to Ames on Saturday. If he went 3-0 at the tourney and lost to Kemmerer Sunday night, he'd still gain an allocation. Without going to the tourney, his only chance would be to beat Kemm.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

I assume Carr is staying back so he can have an easier match or two to get back in shape and prep for big 12's. Otherwise, he doesn't benefit.

From my calcs, Degen is 9-4, so wrestling against Mizzou and NDSt would get him to 15. This would qualify him for RPI and he is already high enough in coaches rank which would gain him an allocation. I assume Degen is staying back to preserve and improve upon his winning percentage and have some easier matches? If he went to Mizzou and beat Mauller, it would improve his NCAA seed. Probably a tough decision.

I believe Colbray and Coleman each need 5 more matches before Big12's to be eligible for RPI. Colbray could qualify for an allocation if he doesn't wrestle at all since he has a .700 win% and ranked high enough. However, if he wrestles, he will have to go at least 3-1 to maintain his win%. 5 more matches and he'd qualify for RPI. However, right now he projects around a 30 RPI and I don't see that improving with the remaining competition. Going to Mizzou and losing to Flynn would have been detrimental to his allocation. Best bet for allocation is to wrestle tournament and ND State and go 5-0! Otherwise, he could just wrestle (and win) a couple matches at the tournament and not wrestle against ND State, which would preserve his winning%.

Coleman's only chance to qualify is to get his 5 more matches through tourney and ND State. He is currently ranked 25 and RPI projected at mid-20's. Hopefully, he wins the rest of his matches and the competiton doesn't lower his RPI or coaches rank!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The conference really needs Smith to gain an allocation. Ok State really screwed up last year. Hope they learned from it.

It would really suck if Colbray and Smith had to steal spots.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and csteve

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Ok State has 2 entered now.

I assume Joe Smith is one.
Maybe they are trying to get Gfeller eligible.

They have Iowa on Sunday

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t think they will wrestle those matches. Smith won’t wrestle Colbray. One of them will MFF
Makes sense. Why would Smith wrestle him and potentially lose his position seeding wise.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Makes sense. Why would Smith wrestle him and potentially lose his position seeding wise.
I think Smith is 6-3 on D1 matches. Assuming a loss at Iowa to Kemerer, he is 6-4. He would need 3 wins to be above 70%. Will be interesting if they wrestle him Sunday against Iowa

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone got any updates on specifics on who’s gonna be at Gilbert for the other guys?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Brackets are up go to Trackwrestling and search events for Last Chance Open
Just took a quick look but Joe Smith is in the bracket

Last edited: