MetroNet Ames

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Someone suggested this get its own thread. Discussion on MetroNet ISP for Ames.

Here's hoping it's a success!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hopefully it just pressures Mediacom and Centurylink to either lower prices and/or expand offerings.

I'm a little skeptical about the way the Metronet service works, it's basically like how a normal router works except multiple (don't know how many) households are behind a single "router" and they share a public IP address. So in theory if Janny and I were on the same public IP and I got IP banned from CF, obviously for no reason, then Janny would be banned as well.

Apparently you can pay $10/month to get a static public IP but that kind of eats up some of the cost savings from switching.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Hopefully it just pressures Mediacom and Centurylink to either lower prices and/or expand offerings.

I'm a little skeptical about the way the Metronet service works, it's basically like how a normal router works except multiple (don't know how many) households are behind a single "router" and they share a public IP address. So in theory if Janny and I were on the same public IP and I got IP banned from CF, obviously for no reason, then Janny would be banned as well.

Apparently you can pay $10/month to get a static public IP but that kind of eats up some of the cost savings from switching.
I think I would still drop century link and/or mediacom out of spite.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think I would still drop century link and/or mediacom out of spite.
Yeah I probably will, I think I might just wait for some people to get it in Ames first and see what they think of it. Even with the $10 for a static IP it'd still be $99 for 1000/1000 compared to the $99 I pay Mediacom not for 500/30.

• Agree
Reactions: mapnerd

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If they can get Mediacom to make their pricing a little more reasonable and Centurylink to expand their coverage areas (how the **** can I only get 3mbps when I'm like 2 blocks from the mall?) that'd be the best case scenario.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
If they can get Mediacom to make their pricing a little more reasonable and Centurylink to expand their coverage areas (how the **** can I only get 3mbps when I'm like 2 blocks from the mall?) that'd be the best case scenario.
I think I will switch to metronet on day one. It blows my mind how CL makes zero effort to upgrade existing areas. They only care about new areas. Or they are just a clusterf*ck, who knows? I had heard that the really nice subdivision NE of Ames (country estates) all got together and said they would pay for fiber to be laid to their area, but CL didn't go for it. 1.5 mbps was all they got. That's probably changed now, but maybe not?

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I switched to Metronet a few months back when they rolled out in my neighborhood in Rochester. I was probably going to switch anyway, but then Charter raised their prices right at the same time and made that choice very easy.

I highly recommend them. Less expensive than what I was paying before and with faster speeds, and has been more consistent than Charter was as well.

• Informative
Reactions: 3TrueFans

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I switched to Metronet a few months back when they rolled out in my neighborhood in Rochester. I was probably going to switch anyway, but then Charter raised their prices right at the same time and made that choice very easy.

I highly recommend them. Less expensive than what I was paying before and with faster speeds, and has been more consistent than Charter was as well.
Doing the same this spring. Wanted to do so in the fall but we couldn't figure out how to get the fiber line where I wanted it without going basically through my living room wall. No thanks.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Probably going to switch as soon as it is available to my house in Ames. Mediacom has left a sour taste in my mouth after all the years of dealing with their "customer service", price increases, and data cap bs. Fiber is just better than broadband anyway.

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We've been able to work with Mediacom. I call customer service and rant when there is a outage as I need if for work. They will take a couple days off my bill. I also tacked them into a lower rate. We do have a land line, cable and internet with them though also.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
We've been able to work with Mediacom. I call customer service and rant when there is a outage as I need if for work. They will take a couple days off my bill. I also tacked them into a lower rate. We do have a land line, cable and internet with them though also.
I would rather not have to play stupid games and just have it work well all the time.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You do what literally hundreds of thousands of people have done for a decade.

steveocy

Jun 19, 2006
From the Ames Trib today on MetroNet starting construction:

"The construction, which includes the installing of cable underground and on overhead poles, will take place in various coverage areas that include Eisenhower Avenue to the border of Ada Hayden Lake.

The company has indicated future coverage areas that include South Duff Avenue, Dartmoor Drive and Mortensen Road."

Wild guess, but I doubt the majority of Ames housing ever gets the option to use this. I am glad the Ames city council decided this was the best alternative.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
I would also love to here from people who switched to metronet from Mediacom

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Have been seeing quite a few yard signs saying they have switched to Metronet. Haven't talked to anybody yet on how the service has been though.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have a co-worker who switched. They've really enjoyed it. Minimal interruptions where others on mediacom or ics have had significant problems during and after the derecho.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

Help Support Us

Become a patron