Any benefits/HR people here?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I have a question that I'm struggling to find the answer for on the internets and am hoping there is someone that can point me in the right direction.

I've been covered through COBRA since I quit my job about a year ago. I recently accepted a full-time position again with benefits. My start date is Feb. 3.

Everything has been taken care of, I've made my new elections, have medical coverage through my employer. I'm technically covered since Feb 3.

Earlier this week I called to cancel my COBRA coverage. There wasn't any place for me to do it through the website. They told me to send an email to a certain address stating some personal information, what coverage I want cancelled (everything, in my case) and the effective date. (an email to cancel coverage? Amateur hour....)

Here is what has me flustered - I can only drop coverage on the last day of the month. I've been covered for all but the first two days of February, but I have to pay for the full month through COBRA. I also have to pay for 27 days of February through my new employer.

I'm irked that I have to pay for double coverage. Doing so is going to cost me an extra $300. Can I demand that my previous coverage pay me back to Feb. 3? Or at least refund me for the days between my email cancellation and the end of the month? Do I have any recourse?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If you are 26 or under, you are "entitled" to be on your parents until you are 26. That's what are daughter told us when she lost her job. BTW- her friends are still on their parents also.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I believe you can just stop paying premiums and it will end automatically. Thats what i did when i got off it after a 2 month gap.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I believe you can just stop paying premiums and it will end automatically. Thats what i did when i got off it after a 2 month gap.

I already disabled auto-pay (which is about the only thing I can do through the website).

The issue is I paid in full for February through the old provider. I'm also paying for all but 2 days of February through my new employer via paycheck deduction. So I've paid for February twice.

If this were auto insurance, I would call them and say "cancel my insurance today" and they would cancel it, then send me a check for the rest of the month for which I'm not insured through them. In this case, I'm stuck paying for medical coverage I don't need AND don't want.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If you are 26 or under, you are "entitled" to be on your parents until you are 26. That's what are daughter told us when she lost her job. BTW- her friends are still on their parents also.

I'm well over that number otherwise I would gladly let Mom and Pop take care of this for me.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Two places I would start.
  1. Old company HR department
  2. New company HR department
Then go to political candidates' websites to she which one has a longterm solution to your problem.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
As an HR person, I would say you can always ask, but in this case, I don't think they are going to pro rate your insurance for the month (like auto). I imagine it has to do with underwriting, premiums, and just the nature of the health insurance business (monthly premiums, etc.). Which explains when you quit a job (say early in the month) generally you have coverage to the end of the month, even though you aren't paying for it anymore (bi weekly payments). You may also be paying for your previous month (in this case January - premiums were in arrears). Not sure how COBRA payments work in this case. When you started on COBRA when was coverage effective vs. when did you have to pay your first month of premium?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I already disabled auto-pay (which is about the only thing I can do through the website).

The issue is I paid in full for February through the old provider. I'm also paying for all but 2 days of February through my new employer via paycheck deduction. So I've paid for February twice.

If this were auto insurance, I would call them and say "cancel my insurance today" and they would cancel it, then send me a check for the rest of the month for which I'm not insured through them. In this case, I'm stuck paying for medical coverage I don't need AND don't want.
Sorry misunderstood your original post. By God this year is going quick

• Friendly
Reactions: mywayorcyway

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Health insurance is always paid a month in advance and for the full month. That’s why HR’s don’t want you to retire the first day of a month because then your insurance must continue for that month

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
You may also be paying for your previous month (in this case January - premiums were in arrears). Not sure how COBRA payments work in this case. When you started on COBRA when was coverage effective vs. when did you have to pay your first month of premium?

When I began COBRA, I had to send a check to get started that covered me through the end of the following month. Paid every month since, and I'm paid up through the end of this month (February). And I'm paying for it through the new employer, too.

Last edited:

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
You'll be stuck paying double... that's just how it works and you can't have gap in coverage.

If you can... when leaving a job do it at the beginning of the month and start a job at the end of the month for this very reason.

Wife is in HR.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
You'll be stuck paying double... that's just how it works and you can't have gap in coverage.

If you can... when leaving a job do it at the beginning of the month and start a job at the end of the month for this very reason.

Wife is in HR.

Gah, that's what I figured. Just seems like a bunch of BS. My other option was to have previous coverage end as of Jan 31, which they said they would do, but would have left me with a two day lapse of coverage.

Appreciate the response.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
...what issues would the 2 day lapse cause? You can retroactively apply COBRA for 60 days. If you have a month gap between jobs, sign the COBRA paperwork and have the check written. If something happens turn it in. If not save your money.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
...what issues would the 2 day lapse cause? You can retroactively apply COBRA for 60 days. If you have a month gap between jobs, sign the COBRA paperwork and have the check written. If something happens turn it in. If not save your money.

I’ve been trying to figure this out too. Experts: any reason I wouldn’t let coverage lapse if I can retroactively get COBRA?

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017

COBRA TPA guy here.

The ACA individual mandate no longer is enforced, and it is all self-reported even if it were still enforced. The only way you would have gotten in trouble is under an audit.

That being said, If you can’t get your premiums back for February from your COBRA administrator, I would check to see if your current employer will change the effective date on your new insurance to 3/1, and allow you to have a qualifying life event of loss of coverage when your cobra coverage lapse is on 2/28.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I’ve been trying to figure this out too. Experts: any reason I wouldn’t let coverage lapse if I can retroactively get COBRA?

None at all, actually. In theory, you can protect yourself from not having coverage for over 3 months. You have 60 days from when you get your notice to turn in your election, and another 45 days to pay your premium. The crappy thing is that if you do need to use your insurance that far in, you will be responsible for all premiums due since the day your coverage terminated.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pat

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
COBRA TPA guy here.

The ACA individual mandate no longer is enforced, and it is all self-reported even if it were still enforced. The only way you would have gotten in trouble is under an audit.

That being said, If you can’t get your premiums back for February from your COBRA administrator, I would check to see if your current employer will change the effective date on your new insurance to 3/1, and allow you to have a qualifying life event of loss of coverage when your cobra coverage lapse is on 2/28.

This is your best/most likely path to solve your situation.