This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Even if Steve said he thought of making the move earlier?

Like he should have started Young earlier? Like he didn't get around to starting Wigginton? I'm giving Prohm another season but there's trends.

I guess if he would have, and Purdue counters, perhaps CSP could have had a plan for that.
I think the not starting Wigginton thing is overblown. He didn't start Lindell because we developed a chemistry and flow with him coming off the bench with Lard. It gave us a ton of mismatches having THT, Babb, Lindell, and Shayok on the floor at the same time with Lindell coming in as the firecracker off the bench.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think the not starting Wigginton thing is overblown. He didn't start Lindell because we developed a chemistry and flow with him coming off the bench with Lard. It gave us a ton of mismatches having THT, Babb, Lindell, and Shayok on the floor at the same time with Lindell coming in as the firecracker off the bench.

I honestly don't recall this really being a thing last season, at least consistently.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Like I've said before.. it didn't matter who we brought in. If the new coach was not exceeding what Coach Hoiberg did, some fans were not going to be very happy.
I would be happy with maintaining what the previous staff did. We are to a point where we not only get blown out regularly, but get blown out at Hilton by teams we shouldn’t.

Reactions: heitclone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
You're not wrong. At the same time we made a top talent disgruntled enough to leave for the D league. it's a new era and good players are highly sought after and touchy. It's kind of the worst of both worlds when you can kind of out recruit your ability to manage touchy egos, then struggle to balance winning and keeping your horses happy and in the stable. I'm not saying it's right or a good thing. We just don't want them to leave unless it's for the draft or if we are just winning too much 100% of the time without them. That, or just recruit humble 2 stars and ride with effort and character. One or the other. You have to choose these days. McKay, Lard, Wiggington, maybe our 2 early transfers this year depends how they pan out. It's something to consider and keep an eye on.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I honestly don't recall this really being a thing last season, at least consistently.
There was a stretch during last year where we went on a little winning streak. Lindell went on to win the Big 12 6th man of the year. Tyrese and THT went into a slump late into the year and those injuries to Babb and Shayok didn't help either. The Big 12 Tournament was prime example of how good we could be, but the OSU game was a prime example of what happened when the offense didn't click. If you watch the difference between the three games we played in KC and the single game against OSU, it's a night and day difference. Guys were moving the ball in the Sprint Center, the ball rarely stuck, and there looked to be great rhythm and continuity. It was the exact opposite in the OSU game for whatever reason.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You're not wrong. At the same time we made a top talent disgruntled enough to leave for the D league. it's a new era and good players are highly sought after and touchy. It's kind of the worst of both worlds when you can kind of out recruit your ability to manage touchy egos, then struggle to balance winning and keeping your horses happy and in the stable. I'm not saying it's right or a good thing. We just don't want them to leave unless it's for the draft or if we are just winning too much 100% of the time without them. That, or just recruit humble 2 stars and ride with effort and character. One or the other. You have to choose these days. McKay, Lard, Wiggington, maybe our 2 early transfers this year depends how they pan out. It's something to consider and keep an eye on.
This x 100. Prohm's recipe for success isn't working as his talent has not been sticking around. He needs to find guys that'll stay for longer than 1-2 years and then still be able to bring in a guy or two that might end up leaving early. This next recruiting class should be a good start considering Xavier will most likely be here for 2-3 years and although the other guys coming in are talented, it's unlikely any of them will end up leaving early.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yes I have. You can look back in this thread and you will find plenty of fact based opinions that many people on here have agreed with. You’re actually one of the few in the minority who have disagreed with me.

its a group think site man.

people only seek others that affirm what they think. Do you call your buddies to have them agree with you too?

as far a prohm, I’ve said all along he’s an average coach. I know that people like you think if you’re not willing to want him drawn and quartered, along with the players, you are defending him. Again, group think site

I don’t think he survives unless next year is surprisingly good. And even if that team wins 25 games, you all will be here complaining they didn’t win 26.

• Agree
Reactions: CoachHines3

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
This x 100. Prohm's recipe for success isn't working as his talent has not been sticking around. He needs to find guys that'll stay for longer than 1-2 years and then still be able to bring in a guy or two that might end up leaving early. This next recruiting class should be a good start considering Xavier will most likely be here for 2-3 years and although the other guys coming in are talented, it's unlikely any of them will end up leaving early.
FWIW Dudley Blackwell is on record saying he chose ISU because "they get people to the league". He has length and athleticism.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Prohm is still a relatively young head coach who didn't spend a lot of time learning before he jumped up to a major conference. I think he still is trying to figure out roster management and the best way to put a team together year in and year out and that has resulted in the dips but they still have a chance this year to get maybe 3 more wins and finish 6th in the conference. It would be a down year because they didn't make the tournament but if they finish strong it will show he did a good coaching job down the stretch and that there is promise for the future.
I haven't looked around the league but it will be interesting to see what other teams lose.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Dang, didn’t realize I got into your head that much. You made derogatory comments about my (and others’) mother, which gave you a nice little timeout, and now you play the victim. Give me a break dude. You provide nothing of value to this forum.

Dang, didn't realize that I ever addressed you.

"You provide nothing of value" is rich from someone like you.

"Play the victim."

I have to take you off ignore, I don't want to miss any of the comedy gold. (At not with)

• Creative
Reactions: jcisuclones

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
its a group think site man.

people only seek others that affirm what they think. Do you call your buddies to have them agree with you too?

as far a prohm, I’ve said all along he’s an average coach. I know that people like you think if you’re not willing to want him drawn and quartered, along with the players, you are defending him. Again, group think site

I don’t think he survives unless next year is surprisingly good. And even if that team wins 25 games, you all will be here complaining they didn’t win 26.
I’m not in any way, shape or form trying to be the voice of reason. I’ve stated my my opinions and have backed them up. Agree to disagree with me all you want, that’s perfectly fine. However, attacking me personally is where I draw the line, as it is in no way a form of civil discussion.

I’m on record on here saying that I don’t think he will or should get fired at the end of this season, especially with the recruiting class he has coming in. However his seat should be very hot going into next season.

So I’m not really sure why you’ve clumped me into the small sample population on this site who think that he should’ve been fired long ago..

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
FWIW Dudley Blackwell is on record saying he chose ISU because "they get people to the league". He has length and athleticism.
Xavier Foster posted on his Instagram story a couple weeks ago in a Q&A that he only plans on staying in Ames for a minimum of two years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Xavier Foster posted on his Instagram story a couple weeks ago in a Q&A that he only plans on staying in Ames for a minimum of two years.

you aren’t right. He said he hoped to be in Ames no more than 2 years.

Reactions: jcisuclones