On this date in history -- 2004...

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Out of all the travesties with KU and officials, this is the absolute ******* worst. How much cash was in the envelope? ******* unbelievable.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
You know, sometimes I feel bad for Wayne Morgan. This is one of those times. Dude could NOT catch a break.

The best part is the very end where the announcer says "pretty good job of officiating to get it right".

Wayne pretty much said all that needs to be said:
"I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS S***"

Neither can we, Wayne. Neither can we.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I remember the old justification that there's no provision for taking points off the board.
Where was the provision to put them on in the first place?

I always hated that excuse, because I recall times where the second half would start and the commentators would have to explain "the score changed over halftime after the refs reviewed a called three pointer where the shooter's foot was actually on the line making it a two"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I always hated that excuse, because I recall times where the second half would start and the commentators would have to explain "the score changed over halftime after the refs reviewed a called three pointer where the shooter's foot was actually on the line making it a two"
That does not negate any game play and a scoring error like that can by rule be changed.

The correction was technically correct. The fact that it ever happened is what is inexcusable. The players at the free throw line should have raised a stink and stepped in the lane before they ever gave the ball to Homan - as soon as the official indicated 1 and 1 rather than 2 shots. If that is how it went down they have to share the blame. If he indicated 2 shots and then let play continue after a miss there is literally no excuse for that officiating.

In either case by no stretch of the imagination was it good officiating as the announcers applauded them. It would be very curious to see in an alternate reality if Kansas missed the three if they would have gone back to free throws and allowed Kansas to rebound after the miss - essentially giving them another bite at the apple. In Phog Allen, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Or worse yet if ISU had blocked the shot and taken it down for a fast break layup before the error was corrected. Would ISU's bucket really be allowed to stand? That is the rule but the officials likely wouldn't have made it out of PA alive.

Just to rub salt in the wound, ISU went on to lose this game in OT. How did it get to OT? Kansas hit a jumper to send it to OT; a jumper that was counted as a three pointer but by many accounts the shooter had his foot quite clearly on the line.

Have a peachy weekend!