Special Teams Coach?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We don't have a special teams coach listed on the Cyclones.com players & coaches roster. I believe last year it was Joe Houston but he was not retained. His open spot was filled by Matt Caponi who will be coaching the cornerbacks. Who will coach the special teams units this fall?

This crossed my mind when I started thinking about all the depth we have at linebacker and potentially DB. That should be a huge boost on Kick/KR/Punt/PR

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We don't have a special teams coach listed on the Cyclones.com players & coaches roster. I believe last year it was Joe Houston but he was not retained. His open spot was filled by Matt Caponi who will be coaching the cornerbacks. Who will coach the special teams units this fall?

This crossed my mind when I started thinking about all the depth we have at linebacker and potentially DB. That should be a huge boost on Kick/KR/Punt/PR

They felt that 5 offense and 5 defensive coaches was a better option. Special teams is a community coaching job, multiple coaches helping.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
They felt that 5 offense and 5 defensive coaches was a better option. Special teams is a community coaching job, multiple coaches helping.

I mean, I'm not questioning what Campbell wants to do with his staff, just wondering who will coach the special team units

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
I thought Caponi was the safety coach, allowing Heacock to work with the defense as a whole.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
That word "analyst" means that Hauser cannot do any personal coaching of players. He can break down all sorts of film and talk to the other coaches but that is all folks. NCAA rules only allow 10 assistant coaches.

• Winner
Reactions: jdcyclone19

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I have never seen Campbell get on any coach on the sideline like he did Houston. Doesn't mean anything but always found it intriguing. Interesting to see him continue to get better gigs.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I have never seen Campbell get on any coach on the sideline like he did Houston. Doesn't mean anything but always found it intriguing. Interesting to see him continue to get better gigs.

Sometimes certain jobs or places arent a good fit. Doesnt necessarily mean the guy sucks. Our ST regressed even further without him last year. Didnt think it was possible, but they were abysmal once again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron