Friday OT #1 - Unchained Melodies

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @BCClone for this theme! I particularly like his off-the-cuff wording:

What was your wedding song, your first dance whatever.

Give us a link, if you've got one! Or other songs (mother/son, father/daughter, etc.).

Ours was "Strange Currencies" by R.E.M.:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not married but used to play drinking games with cliche'd songs like 'Remember When', 'I can only imagine' or if there was a guest vocalist that sang some pointless, way too long song.

Good times.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Our first dance was to The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love."

I threw it out as a joke...my wife starting dancing around said we could definitely (some time of dance goes here) to it and that she would teach me.

The Dueling Pianos guys we had thought it was great. Something along the lines of "getting a crowd up and at it after a sappy song is tough. You guys are doing the hardest work for us!"

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Our first dance was to The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love."

I threw it out as a joke...my wife starting dancing around said we could definitely (some time of dance goes here) to it and that she would teach me.

The Dueling Pianos guys we had thought it was great. Something along the lines of "getting a crowd up and at it after a sappy song is tough. You guys are doing the hardest work for us!"

Did the Dueling Pianos guys sing it? Did they do a good Justin Hawkins?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I didn't care as much about the first dance song as much as the entrance song (sorry to the Mrs).

She wouldn't let us come out to Runaway by Slade but let the wedding party come out to that instead.
She did let us come out to Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Not married yet, but this will be my first dance. Hard to beat a good waltz as far as a first dance goes too, and this meets that criteria.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I enjoy the song, but this first dance thing was likely my wife and I's least favorite wedding tradition.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I didn't care as much about the first dance song as much as the entrance song (sorry to the Mrs).

She wouldn't let us come out to Runaway by Slade but let the wedding party come out to that instead.
She did let us come out to Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis.

I know we did an entrance song, but I 100% don't remember what it was. I'm not even sure if that made it into the video to be able to tell.

I did have a drag-out fight with my mom about the father-daughter dance. We hadn't really asked for any financial help at all with the wedding, but they'd offered to pick up several things as we went along, which was very much appreciated. Janny and I both care a ton about music, and so we had very firm ideas on what our songs would be, and what was not allowed at the wedding at all. For example, the song "Butterfly Kisses" makes my skin crawl.

We sat down with the DJ, and the first thing my mom said was, "I don't care about anything else, but we were at a wedding last week and I want you and your dad to dance to 'Butterfly Kisses.'" I explained gently that I would rather elope and forfeit all of our mutual deposits than have it anywhere at my wedding, it is anathema to me. She tried to threaten me with the amount of money that they had contributed until I somewhat bluntly pointed out that it was not happening and we would be happy to pay them back for any monies contributed. We have never spoken about the event since.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I know we did an entrance song, but I 100% don't remember what it was. I'm not even sure if that made it into the video to be able to tell.

I did have a drag-out fight with my mom about the father-daughter dance. We hadn't really asked for any financial help at all with the wedding, but they'd offered to pick up several things as we went along, which was very much appreciated. Janny and I both care a ton about music, and so we had very firm ideas on what our songs would be, and what was not allowed at the wedding at all. For example, the song "Butterfly Kisses" makes my skin crawl.

We sat down with the DJ, and the first thing my mom said was, "I don't care about anything else, but we were at a wedding last week and I want you and your dad to dance to 'Butterfly Kisses.'" I explained gently that I would rather elope and forfeit all of our mutual deposits than have it anywhere at my wedding, it is anathema to me. She tried to threaten me with the amount of money that they had contributed until I somewhat bluntly pointed out that it was not happening and we would be happy to pay them back for any monies contributed. We have never spoken about the event since.

That's actually the song my wife and her dad danced to for the father/dauhter dance...
well-this-is-awkward-meme.png

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Cotton-Eyed Joe & Chicken Dance were outlawed at our wedding. :mad: