This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Isn't next years class a top 25 class?

Keep in mind XF missed a good portion of the season. They are around 0.500 with him with their losses to mostly Norwalk, Pella, Indianola. Also keep in mind Osky is a really bad team with out him.

Yeah but I think it's like 6th in the Big 12.

Also I'd like to see what the plan is for the talent. Is he going to have 3 guys on the floor wanting to do the same thing at once or is there some form of plan to fill roles?

Reactions: JBone84

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I like haliburton but in my opinion he doesn't have an NBA body. Hes too skinny and he hasn't exactly taken over any games this year against quality teams. Same as THT I think they are both quality players but way overrated on draft boards
6'5" with a 7' plus wingspan IS an NBA body these days for a guard. He will get stronger and bigger. Michael Carter-Williams is the most obvious comparison, but he was not a good shooter from 3, never played man defense in college and was a lot more turnover-prone than Tyrese. It seems like Tyrese is on track to be a more consistent version of Carter-Williams that shoots better from three. For the old-school guys out there I really like the Ron Harper comparison. These are probably the two best comparisons in my opinion. And if a team picking 5-10 ended up getting something in that range of player, they would be pretty happy.

Tyrese's court vision, both as a PG and as an off-the ball defender, is off the charts. He's got plenty to learn to be great at being the guy running the show, but there's a reason he is pretty much a consensus top 10 on draft boards.

Another thing to keep in mind, this is considered to be a very weak draft class, so I suppose he's a few spots higher this year than he would be in most years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like haliburton but in my opinion he doesn't have an NBA body. Hes too skinny and he hasn't exactly taken over any games this year against quality teams. Same as THT I think they are both quality players but way overrated on draft boards
Regardless of whether or not he has an NBA body, Haliburton was the answer to what player on this squad starts for a top tier Big 12 team. If you don't think Haliburton would start for Baylor, I don't know what you have been watching. Drew loves long, lanky players and Haliburton would fit right into the Scott Drew mold. He would blow it out of the water in that system with players who want to defend and rebound and players who can actually score around him.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Stinson would not be the person I’d use for your argument. He’s one of the strongest players in program history.

Stinson was 6'3" and played at about 210. He was a little bit smaller than DeAndre Kane, and as you said, was very strong. Not to mention Stinson was tough as nails.

Going back to my first guys I saw live at Hilton, I'll take Shawn Bankhead for the ultimate nasty dude. Takes a rare guy to seem to enjoy relentlessly faceguarding the other teams' best wing for 40 minutes. He made dudes just flat out quit in games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
6'5" with a 7' plus wingspan IS an NBA body these days for a guard. He will get stronger and bigger. Michael Carter-Williams is the most obvious comparison, but he was not a good shooter from 3, never played man defense in college and was a lot more turnover-prone than Tyrese. It seems like Tyrese is on track to be a more consistent version of Carter-Williams that shoots better from three. For the old-school guys out there I really like the Ron Harper comparison. These are probably the two best comparisons in my opinion. And if a team picking 5-10 ended up getting something in that range of player, they would be pretty happy.

Tyrese's court vision, both as a PG and as an off-the ball defender, is off the charts. He's got plenty to learn to be great at being the guy running the show, but there's a reason he is pretty much a consensus top 10 on draft boards.

Another thing to keep in mind, this is considered to be a very weak draft class, so I suppose he's a few spots higher this year than he would be in most years.

A microcosm for college basketball in general.

Being a decent team gets you into the top ten and being an average team makes you look like a decent team.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
I agree he will get bigger and stronger. He couldn't get any thinner. And his set-shot 3 will probably improve.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
First, if any of this has already been said, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but didn't read all the posts.

I'm just going to use one example, but there are others...

If you're going to fire Prohm, then Dean Smith has to go, too. He has more resources, more tradition, and better players than Prohm has, and plays in an arguably weaker conference, and has a worse conference record than we do.

No one could predict the losses we had due to players seeking the "holy grail". I think Wiggington would have definitely been better off returning, (he can be an amazing scorer, but needs to learn when to involve teammates), same with THT. Those two alone probably get 2-4 more wins and a legit shot at the NCAA'a. Jacobson has not been nearly as consistent this year either, and who could predict that?

I don't believe in the mentality that we have to win every year. Sure it would be nice, but realistically, not many programs can sustain that, especially in a conference as tough as the Big 12.

I've been around for 6 decades of Cyclone sports, and the last one is by far the best we've ever had. IMO, Prohm is the real deal, and in the top tier of coaches in the country. He's beaten 5 top rated teams on the road, something no other ISU coach has ever done, and he's a good very recruiter.

I'd like to see him stay for at least a few more years. If he does, I think he'll get his systems in place and be very successful.

I remember b4 JP got here we couldn't even get legit coaches to interview for the BB position, (thanks Vav de Velde), I hate to see our less patient fans send us back to those days, although with JP, it's highly unlikely.

Recruits read these posts, too. Why not give them something positive to read?

First, Roy Williams will probably be gone and he's got two natty's.

Everyone could predict Wigginton leaving. It's was commonly referred to even before last season. After Maui it was obvious THT was leaving.

I agree expecting us to win every season is absurd. I don't think Prohm should be fired after this year and I think it's bad to even want or expect it.

Where we differ completely is what happens after this season. If next year is the type of season I think we'll have, then he should be gone no questions asked. To give him a few more years for similar results is absurd. Maybe people should be more patient but they aren't and I prefer to live in reality.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The amount of dumb in this thread is pretty amazing. Some of you will never be happy.

His draft stock wont go any higher. Whether he's ready to play or not remains to be seen. But the fact of the matter is he's about to make somewhere in the 9-13 million dollar range simply for signing his name on a line. You don't pass that up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Winning and a fun style of basketball to watch make me happy.

then you should have been happy last year. There were many times when this team was playing a fun style of basketball and winning. In Hawaii. During January (KU, Mississippi especially). In the Big 12 tournament. I get annoyed with those that act like last year was a total disaster. It wasn’t.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Haliburton is/was one of the best two players in the conference.

Bolton would start for most teams in the Big 12.

Young would start for a lot of them/at least be their first bench big guy.

After that, though, yeah, not a ton of these guys would be starting.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
then you should have been happy last year. There were many times when this team was playing a fun style of basketball and winning. In Hawaii. During January (KU, Mississippi especially). In the Big 12 tournament. I get annoyed with those that act like last year was a total disaster. It wasn’t.
I remember the season going well until Steve lost control of his team and allowed toxic egos to take over, our best player breaking his toe because of drama, losing 5 of our last 6 (including getting blown out by the worst team in the conference), and then followed by yet another loss to a team that over-matched us, even though we had far more talent.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I remember the season going well until Steve lost control of his team and allowed toxic egos to take over, our best player breaking his toe because of drama, losing 5 of our last 6 (including getting blown out by the worst team in the conference), and then followed by yet another loss to a team that over-matched us, even though we had far more talent.

that worst team was West Virginia. Goes to show bad seasons happen.

you do you. But I mostly remember last year as fun. It was gratifying to see a team come together at the Big 12 tournament and stick it to fans like you. Steve may have lost the team for a few weeks but he should be given some credit for getting them back.

if next year sucks, I agree it’s time to move on. But I refuse to let fans act like last year was bad. It wasn’t.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
that worst team was West Virginia. Goes to show bad seasons happen.

you do you. But I mostly remember last year as fun. It was gratifying to see a team come together at the Big 12 tournament and stick it to fans like you. Steve may have lost the team for a few weeks but he should be given some credit for getting them back.

if next year sucks, I agree it’s time to move on. But I refuse to let fans act like last year was bad. It wasn’t.
Yes, fans like me who put blood, sweat and tears into trying to boost the environment at Hilton Coliseum to try to make it a place for opposing teams to dread coming to play, but Steve has made sure it's just another gym (notice he's stopped begging students to show up to games on Twitter).