This is why Prohm must go........

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
First, if any of this has already been said, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but didn't read all the posts.

I'm just going to use one example, but there are others...

If you're going to fire Prohm, then Dean Smith has to go, too. He has more resources, more tradition, and better players than Prohm has, and plays in an arguably weaker conference, and has a worse conference record than we do.

No one could predict the losses we had due to players seeking the "holy grail". I think Wiggington would have definitely been better off returning, (he can be an amazing scorer, but needs to learn when to involve teammates), same with THT. Those two alone probably get 2-4 more wins and a legit shot at the NCAA'a. Jacobson has not been nearly as consistent this year either, and who could predict that?

I don't believe in the mentality that we have to win every year. Sure it would be nice, but realistically, not many programs can sustain that, especially in a conference as tough as the Big 12.

I've been around for 6 decades of Cyclone sports, and the last one is by far the best we've ever had. IMO, Prohm is the real deal, and in the top tier of coaches in the country. He's beaten 5 top rated teams on the road, something no other ISU coach has ever done, and he's a good very recruiter.

I'd like to see him stay for at least a few more years. If he does, I think he'll get his systems in place and be very successful.

I remember b4 JP got here we couldn't even get legit coaches to interview for the BB position, (thanks Vav de Velde), I hate to see our less patient fans send us back to those days, although with JP, it's highly unlikely.

Recruits read these posts, too. Why not give them something positive to read?

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
First, if any of this has already been said, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but didn't read all the posts.

If you're going to fire Prohm, then Dean Smith has to go, too. He has more resources, more tradition, and better players than Prohm has, and plays in an arguably weaker conference, and has a worse conference record than we do.

No one could predict the losses we had due to players seeking the "holy grail". I think Wiggington would have definitely been better off returning, (he can be an amazing scorer, but needs to learn when to involve teammates), same with THT. Those two alone probably get 2-4 more wins and a legit shot at the NCAA'a. Jacobson has not been nearly as consistent this year either, and who could predict that?

I don't believe in the mentality that we have to win every year. Sure it would be nice, but realistically, not many programs can sustain that, especially in a conference as tough as the Big 12.

I've been around for 6 decades of Cyclone sports, and the last one is by far the best we've ever had. IMO, Prohm is the real deal, and in the top tier of coaches in the country. He's beaten 5 top rated teams on the road, something no other ISU coach has ever done, and he's a good very recruiter.

I'd like to see him stay for at least a few more years. If he does, I think he'll get his systems in place and be very successful.

I remember b4 JP got here we couldn't even get legit coaches to interview for the BB position, (thanks Vav de Velde), I hate to see our less patient fans send us back to those days, although with JP, it's highly unlikely.

He has been gone. For 20+ years.

In all seriousness, what exactly is Prohm's system?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I mean we can sit here and blame Dean Smith, but I think the fact that he is dead gives him a valid excuse.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

First, assuming you mean Roy at UNC, but to the bolded point, if having Wigginton and Horton-Tucker back this year only got ISU 2-4 more wins, that on the most optimistic side only has ISU probably on the wrong side of the bubble. And that would be with a lottery pick (prior to injury), a 1st round pick, a solid G-league guy, and a couple other guys with solid experience as legit Big12 starters

Of course, no way to predict it, but even looking at how bad this team was before the Haliburton injury, having that record and not even being competitive in so many games with a lottery pick is really a failure. It doesn't mean there are easy answers, it doesn't mean Prohm is a terrible coach, but there's no way to look at this season and those factors and come to any other conclusion than Prohm and his staff failed this year. I suspect Prohm would probably agree. And I am one that has consistently defended the job he did prior to this season.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Watching the Baylor-OU game last night, one of the commentators brought up a really good point about Baylor. It may seem obvious, but Baylor has done a great job getting older guys in a couple ways - either through redshirting, or getting sit-out transfers. They have redshirted 8 of their guys and it's a physically built outfit.

Prohm needs to find a way to get more physically developed players. That perceived "nastiness" comes from muscle, and age/time to build bulk has a lot to do with a team's success. 100% high school guys just isn't a sustainable route to go anymore. Prohm needs to get more comfortable getting JUCO guys or nut up and get better transfers.

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Watching the Baylor-OU game last night, one of the commentators brought up a really good point about Baylor. It may seem obvious, but Baylor has done a great job getting older guys in a couple ways - either through redshirting, or getting sit-out transfers. They have redshirted 8 of their guys and it's a physically built outfit.

Prohm needs to find a way to get more physically developed players. That perceived "nastiness" comes from muscle, and age/time to build bulk has a lot to do with a team's success. 100% high school guys just just isn't a sustainable route to go anymore. Prohm needs to get more comfortable getting JUCO guys or nut up and get better transfers.

Wrong about nastiness, it's an attitude. it's also possible to be nasty on the court and be a good person.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I assume you're talking about Roy Williams, but even then, this is a bad argument. Roy has won two national titles at North Carolina, one being three years ago. Steve Prohm's teams (with his own guys) haven't won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

No one could predict the losses we had due to players seeking the "holy grail". I think Wiggington would have definitely been better off returning, (he can be an amazing scorer, but needs to learn when to involve teammates), same with THT. Those two alone probably get 2-4 more wins and a legit shot at the NCAA'a.
Wigginton didn't want to play for Steve anymore - only way he was playing college ball again was to transfer, but he didn't want to sit out a year. Talen wanted to jump ship to the first shot at the NBA he possibly could.
Then why play the game to begin with?
He's had 5 seasons to get a system in place, including two seasons with several all-time greats, and have yet to see a system of any sort.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Prohm needs to find a way to get more physically developed players. That perceived "nastiness" comes from muscle, and age/time to build bulk has a lot to do with a team's success. 100% high school guys just isn't a sustainable route to go anymore. Prohm needs to get more comfortable getting JUCO guys or nut up and get better transfers.

Texas Tech last year is another great example. You've got a lottery pick in Culver, but in addition 4 of their top 6 guys were 5th year Seniors (Moretti was also a Soph.).

Granted, hard to say Prohm should learn from that and follow it. Part of what should've been great about last years class is that even the highest rated recruit in THT seemed like a multi-year guy. How many 6-4 non-point guards, let alone ones that don't have elite NBA athleticism leave early, let alone after one year. Then top it off with finding a great lower ranked recruit in Haliburton, only to have him become a projected lottery pick as a Soph.

It's pretty lucky these days to have guys like Ejim, Niang, and Morris - 4 year All-American level guys.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Snydes and Macloney

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
I assume you're talking about Roy Williams, but even then, this is a bad argument. Roy has won two national titles at North Carolina, one being three years ago. Steve Prohm's teams (with his own guys) haven't won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Wigginton didn't want to play for Steve anymore - only way he was playing college ball again was to transfer, but he didn't want to sit out a year. Talen wanted to jump ship to the first shot at the NBA he possibly could.

Then why play the game to begin with?

He's had 5 seasons to get a system in place, including two seasons with several all-time greats, and have yet to see a system of any sort.

:) To say the least. Wigginton saw his career flashing before his eyes. If had spent 15 more minutes with Prohm he would have been the 2nd guy off the bench back at Oak Hill next season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Raise your standards. Death can't stop the truly great ones.
Good point
C_odQnHgo4nJkXg2FQFZIiC9m1EntbyKTwuTGdr8a6Rwwrq0sMWQoJXxWqmRBwxi03I7g4Kne5fZqzJTPxnQJahnsanwv_pBQTfGFTRJfkRvTuPuvQsL3BSpGapfxgaOBm3_TLEU90wE-L8DeQyZPg6dSPrS1nU5zfs65A

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Wrong about nastiness, it's an attitude. it's also possible to be nasty on the court and be a good person.

I’m sure I’m missing someone but when I think of ISU players like Hogue that had “nastiness” in their game were not scrawny.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

isu83

May 5, 2010

I second that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron