Mediacom TV

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My father in law called and wants me to set up a TV in his garage. I haven’t dealt with Mediacom TV in like a decade. Is there a way to get mediacom without running coax? I see you can get it through your phone, tablet, etc but can you get it through Roku or FireTV? Do they have wireless boxes?

• Useful
  • Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby and 67CY

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
I think you'll need a coax cable if you want every channel. If you have a mediacom account, then you can download some apps like ESPN, TNT, Fox Sports, etc, and log in to your mediacom account and stream.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Do they happen to have TiVo? If so, the TiVo Mini's require a connection to your LAN, same as the TivO. Could use a wifi bridge or powerline adapter.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I watch Xtream on my ipad and android phone, but not sure if they have any apps for smarttv. Probably more of a hassle if your dad is like mine. (I just got mine a roku-enabled TCL tv for him and signed him up for YouTube TV. Not very intuitive, but he's figuring it out.)

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Do they happen to have TiVo? If so, the TiVo Mini's require a connection to your LAN, same as the TivO. Could use a wifi bridge or powerline adapter.

If I remember correctly, they have a TiVo box on the main TV but the rest are standard boxes.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I watch Xtream on my ipad and android phone, but not sure if they have any apps for smarttv. Probably more of a hassle if your dad is like mine. (I just got mine a roku-enabled TCL tv for him and signed him up for YouTube TV. Not very intuitive, but he's figuring it out.)

Yeah I tried getting them to switch and it didn’t go over very well. They have fiber at their new place through Centurylink but wanted to keep Mediacom because that’s what they’ve always had and know how to use it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If I remember correctly, they have a TiVo box on the main TV but the rest are standard boxes.

It may depend on the model of TiVo, but I'd seriously look into the Mini's. They've gone up in price a lot in the last few years, but you can buy off Amazon. I'm not 100% how this works with leased equipment; I own all mine.

Assuming you can get decent internet out there.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I have mini's and they don't have a LAN connection. My main Tivo does have a LAN connection and it uses MOCA.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have mini's and they don't have a LAN connection. My main Tivo does have a LAN connection and it uses MOCA.

That's true, you can use MOCA. I just figured if he didn't have coax, he wouldn't be interested in MOCA.

Is your equipment leased?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
That's true, you can use MOCA. I just figured if he didn't have coax, he wouldn't be interested in MOCA.

Is your equipment leased?

It’s not for me, it’s for my in-laws. I’m sure they’re leasing it through mediacom.

I have a bunch of stuff to set up and teach them. They bought a house that has Wink relays, random hue bulbs, nest thermostat, myQ garage door, etc. installed by the previous owner. The worst part is trying to figure out what elements are smart and what’s not. He was an electrician and did a bunch of weird stuff with the lighting.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby