NCAA mulling over one time transfer freebee

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Possible rule change on transfers for 2020-21. Didn't see this posted and thought maybe deserved it's own thread. Seems limited to those mutually agreed transfers but still might be a big deal for those individuals.

..........first-time four-year transfers in all sports to compete immediately if they meet the following:
  • Receive a transfer release from their previous school.
  • Leave their previous school academically eligible.
  • Maintain their academic progress at the new school.
  • Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/18/ncaa-transfer-rule-eligibility-change-waiver

And I am out now since this will likely turn into a hate-Prohm rally and EVERYONE will transfer freakout. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The inconsistent way the NCAA has handed out transfer waivers in recent years I'm just ready to let them get 1 free transfer then if they want to transfer a 2nd time then have to sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility in order to player right away. Less administrative work involved for everyone if you make the process less complicated. The Brock Hoffman transfer situation last year (link if you need a refresher) was the final straw for me. High profile players Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts got immediate eligibility mostly because of the programs they were going to yet Hoffman who had a legit family reason got denied due to a BS technicality that he was just outside of the 100 mile requirement and his mom had to go back to work to help pay for medical bills so the NCAA questioned that as well. All that despite being a 4.0 student too so tell me how that is fair that he was moving back for all the right reasons and was a great student too boot yet since he wasn't a big name going to a big time program the NCAA decided to go by the book.

I hate seeing kids leave after 1 or 2 years too but these are 18 year old kids we are talking about who can't make up their minds on what to eat for dinner sometimes too. I've evolved on this issue over the years that if a kid doesn't want to stay at a school then so be it, give him 1 free transfer and if he makes a habit out of it at his next school then make him have to sit out or lose a year.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
It'll be interesting to see schools try to not grant the release. That'll bring a lot of backlash (at least I would think it would).

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Figured this was coming sooner rather than later. Makes sense. Now let's go get a transfer!

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I have a hard time seeing how they are going to get the release thing through because right now, schools don't have have to grant releases. Going to be hard to reinstate that.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My fear is that elite programs will "recruit" from programs in the mid-levels success! So for some reason Bama needs an experienced QB what would really stop them from somehow contacting a senior QB from an Iowa State, Iowa or the likes and offering them a role in their program?

That said...I am for ANY rule change that benefits the players!

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
The inconsistent way the NCAA has handed out transfer waivers in recent years I'm just ready to let them get 1 free transfer then if they want to transfer a 2nd time then have to sit out a year or lose a year of eligibility in order to player right away. Less administrative work involved for everyone if you make the process less complicated. The Brock Hoffman transfer situation last year (link if you need a refresher) was the final straw for me. High profile players Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts got immediate eligibility mostly because of the programs they were going to yet Hoffman who had a legit family reason got denied due to a BS technicality that he was just outside of the 100 mile requirement and his mom had to go back to work to help pay for medical bills so the NCAA questioned that as well. All that despite being a 4.0 student too so tell me how that is fair that he was moving back for all the right reasons and was a great student too boot yet since he wasn't a big name going to a big time program the NCAA decided to go by the book.

I hate seeing kids leave after 1 or 2 years too but these are 18 year old kids we are talking about who can't make up their minds on what to eat for dinner sometimes too. I've evolved on this issue over the years that if a kid doesn't want to stay at a school then so be it, give him 1 free transfer and if he makes a habit out of it at his next school then make him have to sit out or lose a year.

To be fair, Hurts was a grad transfer, so his situation would not be the same.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My fear is that elite programs will "recruit" from programs in the mid-levels success! So for some reason Bama needs an experienced QB what would really stop them from somehow contacting a senior QB from an Iowa State, Iowa or the likes and offering them a role in their program?

The repercussions of not having to sit-out will increase the transfers, but since the pro scouts tend to find talent at smaller schools, I hope that will limit that to some extent. In the end, if a kid is unhappy with their situation, parting ways is likely best for all involved.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

If grad transfers are a good guide of how immediate eligibility transfers will look, this will be a lot less frequent than a kid who goes to a major P5 program, gets beaten out by someone younger than him, and transfers “down” so he gets to play.

For every Khalil Mack that Alabama gets from Buffalo, there will be a handful of 4* guys who are stuck on the depth chart but who could fill positions of immediate need at places like Iowa State.

For the record I’m also on board with this whether or not it’s likely to benefit ISU because it’s good for the players.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The repercussions of not having to sit-out will increase the transfers, but since the pro scouts tend to find talent at smaller schools, I hope that will limit that to some extent. In the end, if a kid is unhappy with their situation, parting ways is likely best for all involved.

Yeah, and I think talent will flow both ways. I'm a bit nervous for competitive balance, but I think it's a situation that has to be resolved for the players.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah that is the 1 downside that they would need to come up with some kind of game plan on how to police schools on compliance issues. Probably some of this already going on behind the scenes now that goes undetected

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't love the idea of college free agency but the horse has already left the barn. Transfers are just part of cbb now, I'd rather have something like this that is consistent and fair rather than each situation being drug out and handled with varying criteria that never seems to make sense.

Sadly though, between free agency and the option of the G League, I think CBB is swirling the drain. These two things combined decrease the balance of talent.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yeah that is the 1 downside that they would need to come up with some kind of game plan on how to police schools on compliance issues. Probably some of this already going on behind the scenes now that goes undetected

Agree. I am sure it goes on...but if the change goes forward the idea of immediate eligibility changes the equation a lot! Again, I am all for rule changes that benefit players! But I do see this type of rule getting abused by the elite programs to fill in positions where they have a dire need. For example if Clemson was in need of an left tackle due to an odd situation where one kid flunks out, another kid gets injured in the offseason and won't recover in time for the season and their starter graduated...what would prevent them from putting out a "want ad" for a high level LT to contact them? You know there are kids that would bite on that...and why not?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I didn't dig too deep, but would transfers only be eligible to play at the beginning of a year or beginning of a semester? They wouldn't allow someone to join a team mid semester and then start playing right away, would they? Academically, that would be a mess to regulate.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I thought contacting kids already signed to/playing for other schools (without having already entered the transfer portal) was a NCAA violation?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
90% plus of these kids are never going to make a dime playing pro sports but as long as they can find a good academic fit I'm good with however it turns out for them.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It is...but there are ways around that...

My impression was that it usually worked the other way. AAU coach contacts college coach: “Hey, if a kid like X was hypothetically interested in transferring, would your school be interested?”

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron